Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Would we be approved to adopt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
Foster and newborn adoptions are very different. Foster care has far more detailed home study's and it takes far longer to clear ICPC and lots of other complications. Newborn has complications but are very different. They have basic state laws that all agency's have to follow for the home study to pass a judge to adopt but it can vary depending on the worker/agency. Our agency was very relaxed.

I'm around if you PM. Especially for you.
i have a question about WI licensing.

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by Beth.; 12-03-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Beth. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by Beth.; 12-03-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Beth. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #14
Badonkadonk Knits
Registered Users
Formerly: mikeandtiff
seller

I think the best thing for you to do is call around locally and get some answers that way. Because you are looking for specifics, and those vary based on where you live and what type of adoption you are looking at, that is really the only way to get some solid answers.

In looking at your financial setup, I'd say that looks pretty good. It speaks volumes that you are debt free in this day and age!!! Way to go! It looks like you are pretty responsible with your income.

As far as the insurance question...I have no clue on that one. Usually if the expectant mom does not have insurance of any sort covering her expenses, those bills related to the pregnancy/birth will fall to you to cover. This is something you can discuss with the agency or private attorney though, as they can consider what ballpark figure you can handle when looking at possible matches for you. The attorney we used was very careful to find out what costs we would be looking at before calling us about potential matches and making sure he knew what we could consider along those lines. We had a good sum of money to put toward the adoption, but we certainly were not limitless in the figure we could pay. Awesome that your church will help out with the adoption cost!!!

Our son's adoption costs were around $18,000. We were told that it was one of the lowest our attorney handled for the year. It was a private domestic newborn adoption. We were told that in Oregon for using a private attorney the costs range from about 18K - 23K, and when using an Oregon agency they tend to be around 25K. I know those figures can vary greatly depending on what state you are in.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth. View Post
Please do!

OP -- Sorry to hijack. You are really going to have to do your leg work with your local agencies to see what is possible in your state.
Haha my laptop battery died so i went to bed instead! now im in my phone. But i am going to pm you...eventually. Lol
Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
i have a question about WI licensing.
Every state has very specific requirements. Ours are far stricter for foster care than private. Our private one and we used two different agency's as we switched after the first year, were both very relaxed. I've heard sometimes this is the case and others who should not go through a very tuff time. It is very agency & worker specific. Its basically the same thing but foster has some extra standards that private does not. We didn't have to have a bedroom set up and it wasn't an expectation. Our house has been in varying stages of DIY and our social worker kinda cringed but it wasn't a big deal but it would not have been approved for foster.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
slingmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We spoke to a Christian agency this morning that had been reccomended to us and after a series of eligibility questions they would approve us...We are eligible!! So, they are sending us a packet of info to start fillling out and moving forward. I'm still waiting for a phone call back from the lady who handles out of state adoptions because this agency is in GA and we are in NC, but had a very positive conversation with the agency this morning and am so excited to just take the first step!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingmama4 View Post
We spoke to a Christian agency this morning that had been reccomended to us and after a series of eligibility questions they would approve us...We are eligible!! So, they are sending us a packet of info to start fillling out and moving forward. I'm still waiting for a phone call back from the lady who handles out of state adoptions because this agency is in GA and we are in NC, but had a very positive conversation with the agency this morning and am so excited to just take the first step!
That's great if they will approve you BUT, you still have to pass a home study with your state and your state rules may be different than their state.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, you still need to pass a home study in your state. Honestly, it seems odd for you to be on state health care (I understand why you are right now. Not criticizing that.) when there's a possibility of you needing to pay for the e-mom's heath care. That just seems backwards to me. Actually for one agency we were thinking of using, you had to prove you had your own health care insurance. I'm sure state health insurance wouldn't count, but all agencies are different and one may not require that. I also think with all expenses (travel is common especially since you're looking at an agency out of state), it's rare these days for an adoption to be under $20,000. There's a few exceptions, obviously, but from all the research I've done, once you include everything, seems more like 20K-30K. Sometimes there are African American programs that may be closer to 15K. I know someone who just completed (well, not finalized yet) an adoption of a local Christian agency domestic infant (happened to be AA, but they don't charge differently for different races) and had no birth mom expenses or travel and she said she paid 25K. And you can't rely on the adoption credit anymore either. It especially hurts those who are lower income because if you don't pay taxes, you won't get the adoption credit. Not trying to be super negative here, but trying to be realistic.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #20
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

that exciting to not have another door slammed in your face though right?

about the state insurance, i think we have a program in WI where if you aren't eligible for insurance through your employer you can purchase it through the state. so you can have insurance through the state that you pay for, not as an aid program. does that make sense? i don't know if its what this mama is on, or if she does qualify for state aid. it could be that she qualifies for state aid but because they live frugally could be able financially to purchase private insurance in which case she could do that when it comes time for a home study. i have no idea if this is the case, just wanted to throw that out there.