Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Mikey is finally here!!

My first child, Michael Angelo, was born on January 13th, 2012 at 6:24 am. He was 21 inches long and weighed 8 lbs 8 oz. His APGAR score was a 9!

As some of you may know, I was planning a totally natural childbirth at a birth center and I planned on using the Hypnobirthing method. Unfortunately, on Wednesday at around 10:30 am my water broke. My midwife and I tried everything to try to start labor up. I did 2 rounds of castor oil (ouch,) lots of breast pumping, went for plenty of walks, we used about 10 homeopathic methods, a variety of herbs including blue and black cohosh teas, we tried accupuncture, etc. Nothing started up my labor. In Florida, a woman is supposed to be induced when she reaches 24 hours after her water breaking and labor does not begin. My midwife allowed me 36 hours before we decided to transfer to the backup OB and head to the hospital. When we left the birth center, I was 5 cm dilated and 90% effaced (I had been like this for several days, but no labor at all.) I arrived at the hospital around 6:00 pm and at 7:30 pm, they started the Pitocin. My midwife, husband, mother and a very close cousin of mine all remained with me and supported me through my labor. I went 6 hours on Pitocin without the epidural using the hypnobirthing method, but when they upped the dose for the third time, I couldn't tolerate the pain any longer. The contractions were coming at about 30 seconds apart and lasting over a minute long, and the back labor pain never went away. I thought I had to have reached transition and had the nurse check me. After 6 hours of Pitocin, I had not dilated at all, I was still at 5 cm and my cervix hadn't thinned anymore. I was SO disappointed and the contractions just kept getting worse til I was pretty much just screaming non-stop. The birth ball no longer helped me, hip squeezes weren't easing the pain, nothing was helping. My midwife suggested that I get the epidural saying that maybe my inability to relax was causing me not to dilate. After about 30 minutes of consideration, I did decide to get the epidural. The nurse checked me about 10 minutes after I received the epidural and I had dilated 2 cm already. After that I was able to relax and get some rest and they continued to up the dose of Pitocin (which my son was handling extremely well. His heart rate remained steady the entire time.) Around 5:45 am I called the nurse in and told her I felt the urge to push and was feeling a lot of pressure in my vaginal area. My son was starting to descend. She didn't want me to start pushing yet because the OB was not there (another patient of his at the same hospital was delivering her baby when I wanted to start pushing,) but I pretty much told her I was going to push with or without her. She stayed with me and at 6 am after having the epidural stopped, I started pushing. Pushing was the most physical effort I have ever put into anything. When my son started crowning all I could think of was the incredible pain I was feeling. The nurse was doing perineal massage the entire time I was pushing, which really was super uncomfortable and somewhat painful. However, I really feel she stopped me from getting external tearing. My husband, mom, and cousin (my midwife had to go home around 4 am because of issues with her daughter,) all supported me so much through my whole labor but especially during pushing. All of their encouragement really helped me stay strong and push with all my might despite the discomfort and exhaustion I felt. The OB arrived when my son's head was halfway out. My son was coming out in a twisted position and with his hand by his hand so the OB acted quickly and twisted my son's body into the proper position which helped me bring my son into the world within the next 30 seconds. As soon as my son came out, he was placed on my chest while the OB checked me for tearing and monitored my bleeding and placental delivery. All I could think about was how perfect my little boy is and how happy I was to finally have him here! The OB did find 2 2nd degree internal tears, which he quickly stitched up (I only need one stitch for each tear.)

I am so happy to have my son!! Although my birth was the total opposite of what I planned and hoped for, I feel like I made the right decisions and that I still had a good experience. My son is happy and healthy, and although the Pitocin and epidural were not things I was happy about resorting to, I think it was necessary to avoid a c-section (they were limiting my time to labor til 7 am, though I could have gone for longer by fighting them.)

Here's my little man:

^my favorite men!!

Advertisement

Last edited by JustSomeChickVee; 02-09-2012 at 05:01 PM.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
jefesita
Registered Users
seller

Re: Mikey is finally here!!

congrats!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
angelina_lover
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He is absolutely beautiful! Good work mama, enjoy your little boy
angelina_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations! What a cutie!
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Congrats, mama

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats mama! Brilliant story!

And P.S. I agree... it sounds like you made the right decisions for your situation!

Last edited by jeebee; 01-16-2012 at 05:47 AM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats! he's beautiful
Old 01-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

Congrats!!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Thanks everyone =)
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

it's hard not to have the birth you want, I'm so glad you were able to avoid the c/s though and seem to be doing well.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote