Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
jabmmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is anyone using listening therapy?

My 4yo receives OT and PT 3x/week, speech 4x/week and has a spec. ed teacher with him in preschool 4x/week and once a week at home for an hour. He has severe apraxia and has gross motor and some fine motor delays, lower muscle tone, some sensory issues etc...
He's been making great progress in all areas with his therapy and can now peddle a bike and is just now able to jump on his trampoline (not high and not without holding on to the bar or our hands), he still can't run but shuffles very quickly and he is finally making some progress since he started PROMPT therapy but it's agonizingly slow.
His OT wanted to try listening therapy for him which he is now on his 2nd week of (we do it every day). We just increased his sessions to 30-minutes yesterday and he seems to enjoy it (he refused to let me take the headphones off yesterday). His OT was hoping it might help him but has been very reluctant to get too excited about seeing any progress but his PT and speech therapist both noted changes over the past couple of weeks as well as myself. His PT has noticed that he's been much steadier when using his balance beam and the stepping stones and he is jumping much better all of a sudden. His SLP and I both noticed him using new sounds, being much more vocal in general and he also started saying "me" perfectly clearly and time I ask him to and this was really surprising because although his SLP had been working with him for a while on it, him being able to say it cleary kind of came out of the blue the other day and really caught me off guard.
I had never heard of this type of therapy until a few weeks ago and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with it.

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I was just researching this method. Can you tell me what cds and headphones you are using?

My dd is 2 years 3 months. Suspected SM and apraxia with spd snd possible AS disorder. I am wondering if it will help her as well.

Sounds like it could be great for kids with these issues, and it cant hurt right?
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
jabmmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is anyone using listening therapy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
I was just researching this method. Can you tell me what cds and headphones you are using?

My dd is 2 years 3 months. Suspected SM and apraxia with spd snd possible AS disorder. I am wondering if it will help her as well.

Sounds like it could be great for kids with these issues, and it cant hurt right?
Our OT did a lot of research and decided to go with Listening with the Whole Body by Sheila Frick: http://www.vitallinks.net/
Our OT has 45 CD's which are made up of different types of music depending on what you're targeting. My 4yo listens every day although kids who only use the program in a clinical setting a couple times a week have shown great improvement. My son started off with the kid's music (it's all filtered in a special way and has swishing sounds that play between each ear) for 15 minutes 1x/day and he just started out doinf 30 minutes/day. She will be switching his music tomorrow or Wednesday. The next one would be either something like elevator music or Baroque. We're not sure how he'll respond to a change in the music because he seems to like the kid's music but there is a heirarchy of CD's that you work your way through.
She had him draw a picture the first day he started the listening program and she's going to have him draw another one next week I think to see if we can notice any changes. What often happens with the therapy is that you'll see a noticeable change in their drawings with more correct proportions, more details etc. They also look at handwriting which becomes much neater and organized and more organized thought in the subject matter.
Our OT has never had a student who made huge progress with this program (except for one who went to out of state clinics) but she has heard of lots of stories of this type of therapy really benefitting certain kids.
Even though my son just started, we started noticing things almost immediately. I don't know if he'll progress to a certain extent and then reach a plateau or if he'll continue to make marked improvements over the next several months so it will be interesting to see what happens.
We have the headphones shown at the top of this page: http://www.vitalsounds.com/SearchRes...x?CategoryID=2
When we do the therapy, he has to be in motion like riding his bike, walking on his balance beam, jumping on his trampoline or swinging etc. He loves to climb inside his pod swing and be spun while he listens to it. We use the spinning with him every day as well which helps with his vestibular areas.
You can check the website to see if there is a therapist in your area who does this type of therapy. Is your DD receiving any services yet?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabmmt

Our OT did a lot of research and decided to go with Listening with the Whole Body by Sheila Frick: http://www.vitallinks.net/
Our OT has 45 CD's which are made up of different types of music depending on what you're targeting. My 4yo listens every day although kids who only use the program in a clinical setting a couple times a week have shown great improvement. My son started off with the kid's music (it's all filtered in a special way and has swishing sounds that play between each ear) for 15 minutes 1x/day and he just started out doinf 30 minutes/day. She will be switching his music tomorrow or Wednesday. The next one would be either something like elevator music or Baroque. We're not sure how he'll respond to a change in the music because he seems to like the kid's music but there is a heirarchy of CD's that you work your way through.
She had him draw a picture the first day he started the listening program and she's going to have him draw another one next week I think to see if we can notice any changes. What often happens with the therapy is that you'll see a noticeable change in their drawings with more correct proportions, more details etc. They also look at handwriting which becomes much neater and organized and more organized thought in the subject matter.
Our OT has never had a student who made huge progress with this program (except for one who went to out of state clinics) but she has heard of lots of stories of this type of therapy really benefitting certain kids.
Even though my son just started, we started noticing things almost immediately. I don't know if he'll progress to a certain extent and then reach a plateau or if he'll continue to make marked improvements over the next several months so it will be interesting to see what happens.
We have the headphones shown at the top of this page: http://www.vitalsounds.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2
When we do the therapy, he has to be in motion like riding his bike, walking on his balance beam, jumping on his trampoline or swinging etc. He loves to climb inside his pod swing and be spun while he listens to it. We use the spinning with him every day as well which helps with his vestibular areas.
You can check the website to see if there is a therapist in your area who does this type of therapy. Is your DD receiving any services yet?
Thanks! Yes, she is in therapy. OT, ST and DT. We are going through EI right now, and had an eval done at our local therapy center, and she was denied OT by insurance because her SPD is not from an injury. .

We do weighted compression therapy, and oral therapy and a sensory diet, it is really helping so far, and I think the listening therapy could help her a bunch. We are going to discuss it with our slp this week.

She has started speaking more which is good, but we are still loosing sounds and having a hard time mimicing.

I will be very interested in following your journey and seeing how it is helping you DS.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
jabmmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is anyone using listening therapy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
We do weighted compression therapy, and oral therapy and a sensory diet, it is really helping so far, and I think the listening therapy could help her a bunch. We are going to discuss it with our slp this week.

She has started speaking more which is good, but we are still loosing sounds and having a hard time mimicing.

I will be very interested in following your journey and seeing how it is helping you DS.
The listening therapy is an OT thing so I'd check with your OT first. I'm not sure your SLP would be as familiar with that. It's typically used for OT purposes but can help with speech. I'm not sure what type of speech therapy you're using but my LO made very little progress in a year with traditional speech therapy but we switched therapists last summer (she does PROMPT with him now) and he has made a lot more progress even though it has been agonizingly slow.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabmmt

The listening therapy is an OT thing so I'd check with your OT first. I'm not sure your SLP would be as familiar with that. It's typically used for OT purposes but can help with speech. I'm not sure what type of speech therapy you're using but my LO made very little progress in a year with traditional speech therapy but we switched therapists last summer (she does PROMPT with him now) and he has made a lot more progress even though it has been agonizingly slow.
Yeah, our OT only comes out once a month unless we need him so I put requests in with our slp. .

We really dont have any speech method at this time....the selective mutism makes it so she doesnt talk at all in the prescence of anyone but family. She just started saying one or wo words last week in therapy so we are starting to work on mimicing tongue movements with our slp. She does our feeding theray too. She signs in front of her slp, but we are hoping for a big jump in language now that she is more comfortable after 7 months of therapy with the same person.

I hear prompt can be great for apraxia. Just wish we didnt have SM on top of another speech disorder. Makes it so hard to get anything done in therapy.