Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weeky Chat 1/29-2/5

My DS(2 1/2) would have loved a paci but we didnt want to deal with it...he now sucks his pointer/middle finger like all hours of the day. i have no idea how we will ever break that habit, they are ALWAYS in his mouth. i wish we would have given him a paci so thats easier to break!

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBattest View Post
Is it not good to give them a paci if you breast feed or does it not matter ?!
It could matter.. now that I've successfully breastfed two kids I'm not worried. I would try to hold off until the first week or so so that nursing is well established. I would also really try to watch baby's cues and nurse them when I think they're hungry instead of just popping the paci in their mouth, even if you are nursing every 1-2 hours (the experts say 3-4 but personal experience and the experience of moms i know says otherwise!). Nursing when they are hungry, even if your milk is low and you end up nursing all evening for a week or so at a time (google "cluster feeding"), will help regulate your supply and keep it where it needs to be. Tough call I think, especially for a new mom. How much breastfeeding support do you have in your social circle/area?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
mabelinoad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
i found with DD(we did use a paci until like 5months) that once she knew how to successfully be latched on(a couple weeks) a paci was no big deal. orthodontic or the circle kind. personally, wouldn't give one in the hospital after baby pops out, but i know many who have and still successfully breastfeed. its called "nipple confusion"
Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #24
mabelinoad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OMW ladies, i'm about to jump out of my skin. Im so excited! We finally made a decision to wiggle money around and buy a new(to us) van!! It'll be either an 02-04 Sienne or Odyssey, bcz they have rockin' reviews. Right now we just have a Hyundai Elantra on its last leg, and with two kids, I feel like we've grown out of it. Anyone have either of these vans?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #25
rosenfried2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelino

i found with DD(we did use a paci until like 5months) that once she knew how to successfully be latched on(a couple weeks) a paci was no big deal. orthodontic or the circle kind. personally, wouldn't give one in the hospital after baby pops out, but i know many who have and still successfully breastfeed. its called "nipple confusion"
You know what I found so crazy with my ds was that he would take bottle and breast interchangeably although he preferred breast even though there was no milk for him. He's still laid back like that now.

Really that my milk comes in this time around. I truly thought every mom's boobs produced milk... after months with all the help around and putting babe to boob every time i thought he was hungry we got a great latch and great bond, but there was no milk to give. I think I would even try the "d" named drug this time if milk doesn't show up in a week. Forgot what it's called at the moment.

Follow me at my blog:Rosenfried's Ramblings

Last edited by rosenfried2; 01-30-2012 at 11:11 AM.
rosenfried2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #26
rosenfried2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelino
OMW ladies, i'm about to jump out of my skin. Im so excited! We finally made a decision to wiggle money around and buy a new(to us) van!! It'll be either an 02-04 Sienne or Odyssey, bcz they have rockin' reviews. Right now we just have a Hyundai Elantra on its last leg, and with two kids, I feel like we've grown out of it. Anyone have either of these vans?
Whoooooohooooo! We don't have one but 3 families I know have them and love them. 2 sienna and 1 oddessy.. I dream of having a bigger car. I have a mazda 3.

Follow me at my blog:Rosenfried's Ramblings
rosenfried2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #27
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelino View Post
Yay! We are looking into buying one, too, later in the year. We can fit three across in our Camry but can NOT survive long drives that way....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenfried2 View Post
Really that my milk comes in this time around. I truly thought every mom's boobs produced milk... after months with all the help around and putting babe to boob every time i thought he was hungry we got a great latch and great bond, but there was no milk to give. I think I would even try the "d" named drug this time if milk doesn't show up in a week. Forgot what it's called at the moment.
It is really, really rare but I do personally know one mom who made practically NO milk for any of her 4 children after the colostrum, despite getting help from everyone she could think of, including midwives at the Farm (she lives in Columbia, TN). She nursed them all for the first several days to make sure they got the colostrum, but then switched to formula. Once you try everything you can.. you just have to feed your child! I hope you are successful this time!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #28
mabelinoad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenfried2 View Post
You know what I found so crazy with my ds was that he would take bottle and breast interchangeably although he preferred breast even though there was no milk for him. He's still laid back like that now.

i found that with DD(my first) i had very little milk from the getgo. and by 4 months, had to quit. she successfully latched but not enough was produced. With DS, i had much much more milk and successfully breastfed him until 9 months(where i thought he gave up and wanted to quit, but later learned it was just a little strike and could have gone longer)

so definitely will this time the milk keeps flowin for you!!
Old 01-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #29
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both of those vans are nice. We have an odyssey which will be full after this baby , its the second odyssey we have owned. You can pretty much count on 200k + miles out of a Honda. I'm hoping for a passenger van for the next vehicle. seinnas are nice too, they have good ratings and you can even get them in 4wd.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #30
mom2threeboys
Registered Users

Quote:
I have heard of babies getting nipple confusion from them but it has never happened to me.

It's funny, DS1 refused to take a paci but didn't nurse well and only nursed 9 months before he refused and we gave him formula. He started sleeping through the night at 8 weeks and was a self soother for sure.

DS2&3 took a paci because all they wanted to do was suck. They nursed for 2 years. They would nurse non stop as newborns. And I am not exaggerating. I ended up in so much pain, and bleeding nipples ( latch was good just non stop nursing). But when they were not sucking, the cried! So I had to give my poor nipples a break and the paci did help. Now both of them were very attatched babies, and didn't sleep through the night until 2 years. They just have the same personality. I did hate fetching the paci in the middle of the night. They couldn't sleep without it. And even if I put extra in the crib, they just cried until I got them.

I think they are all different. With this baby I will go to the paci if needed, but if they aren't needing to suckle all the time I will skip it. I know it helps to reduce SIDS though, so I am torn. I have also learned since working for a chiro that babies with high sucking needs may feel more pressure in their head from birth and the sucking helps relieve it. I was told that craniosacral therapy can help with this. So I will look into that as well. Research..

Last edited by mom2threeboys; 01-30-2012 at 01:09 PM.
mom2threeboys is offline   Reply With Quote