Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
Dye stain on wool

I hope there is someone here that can help me since I know you all are experts at wool. I have a wool sweater that I knit for my 4 year old that I washed over the weekend that now has a huge spot of dye that bled from a hat of hers that I washed with the sweater. I cannot get it off to save my life. The sweater is 3ply purewool in that variegated yellow shade and there's a green dye spot that's very prominent on the middle of the back of the sweater from a scrappy hudson hat. The spot is the size of a toddler's palm or so. I have soaked it in wool wash and lightly scrubbed at it. I have soaked it in dish soap. I am now resoaking after scrubbing with a wool wash bar. It hasn't budged. And I'm really really sad about it obviously because it's our favorite sweater. It's not the end of the world because I can always make her another but it's so beautiful with her blonde hair and she loves the rainbow buttons. Thoughts on getting the stain out?

Last edited by 3rockstars; 01-30-2012 at 10:20 AM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
My Mood:
I can't think of anything that would get the green out that wouldn't also take the yellow off.

My only helpful input would be to ask a dyer if they could over dye it. It would end up all the same color (or you could frog the hood and cuffs and reknit them back on after the body was dyed) - but you'd atleast still have the sweater!

Maybe have it dyed a pretty dark green or plum? I'm not sure what would cover it up...
Proud mama to four

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
I would overdye it.. I'm sorry that happened

I try to be smarter than my iProduct, but sometimes it beats me
*~Ashley~* SAHmama to 3 + 1
Check out the amazing Waldorf items at The Waldorf Dollhouse!
AshleyLD is offline   Reply With Quote