Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
basMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Engorgent and Not Latching

I am three days post partum and have yet to have had one succesful feeding with my daughter. When she was born she had low blood sugars so the pediatrician wanted formula while we were in the hospital. I continued to pump, but have yet to get any milk out. This is with pumping every two to three hours, ZERO milk. Now that the doctor gave the ok to breastfeed I cannot get her to latch on, she screams and screams, I can't even give her pumped milk because I am not getting any. My breast are horribly engorged and I am afraid my milk is gonna dry up because nothing is coming out. Please help I am desperate don't know what to do, I want to cry. Oh and btw I have tried nipple shields, she doesn't like it and hot showers before pumping, and not working.

Advertisement

Last edited by basMama; 01-30-2012 at 09:48 AM.
basMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

See a lactation consultant asap, if that isn't possible call the le leche league. It is not too late, your milk came in now you just need to get over this hurdle (which I know seems huge right now but pretty soon it won't.) I had a hard time pumping in the beginning as well. Try to manually express a little off to soften the breast/nipple a tad and put her on when she is sleeping/half asleep without a nipple shield.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
basMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Engorgent and Not Latching

I'm going to try and find one in my area. I am new to all this, I breastfed my five year old, but we never had any issues. I would appreciate any further input. I never saw myself not breastfeeding.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
mbeth
Registered Users
seller

I'm so sorry you are going through this.. my daughter had low blood sugar when she was born too and they tried and tried to make me use formula but I refused. They had her on an IV with fluids. I second the idea of a consultant.. its just going to take some training for her since she is used to the bottle and not having to "work" for the milk. Try to nurse her when she isn't all that hungry so she doesn't get so upset.. Take a bath together and then lay down skin to skin with her in a quiet dark room and try to get her to latch, maybe a half hr-1hr after you fed her last. Good luck hun!
mbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
basMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you I called and am going, I just hope we can still get on the right track. My breat hurt so much I tried feeding her an hour later and she gets so upset.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
NatashaCory1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I used to have to pump 5 minutes or so before nursing because my DD would get frustrated cuz my let down wasn't fast

Im a sahm, wife to a pudgy dork that I love, addicted to cloth , no where near as crunchy as many moms, tattooed, grease monkey with a tool belt.
NatashaCory1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
greenearthbaby
Registered Users
seller

Yes, see a lactation consultant today if possible. Can you also call La Leche League and speak with someone immediately?

Hang in there!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
jayell79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's definitely hard for babies to latch on to hard engorged breasts. You're best bet is to try and hand express some milk until everything softens up. Try massaging yourself in a warm shower. One trick that worked well for me is to take a big bowl of warm water, and kind of lean over it to dip/hang my breasts in. You could also just use a warm washcloth (heat really helps.) Then massage well, and the milk should just start flowing out. If you aren't in the shower, you can catch the milk in a clean cup or bottle to feed your baby.