Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
blessedx8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tell me about Domperidone!

Hi mamas! I've bee having supply issues that I just can't seem to overcome. My 6 mo. dd refuses to take any sort of artificial nipple (at least the ones I can find locally), won't use the SNS (hates the little tube being in her mouth), won't take a spoon, medicine dropper or sippy cup so supplementing has been totally unsuccessful. Her weight gain have stopped, she's not putting out enough (only about 3 really wet cd's a day) and she only poops once every 3-5 days. I've been nursing more often as well, at least every 2.5-3 hours. It's time to do something. I'm going to order some domperidone but I don't know how to take it. How much to start out with? How often? How long does one typically have to take it or should I expect to keep taking it for the duration of our bfing relationship? Anything else that will help? I have been taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle and, while they have helped, it just isn't enough. I can use any advice/support I can get!!!!! Thanks for reading!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by blessedx8; 01-30-2012 at 10:10 AM.
blessedx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Re: Tell me about Domperidone!

I think it depends on a lot of things...including the reason why your supply is low. I started each time with 90ml (3 pills 3 X day) and with my middle son it increased and went straight back down because I just couldn't pump often enough (it was low because of not pumping much do to my school schedule, and I think possibly an undiagnosed PTT) - so it did incease my supply but could not maintain it without proper stimulation. With my youngest I started with 90ml and pumping TONS (supply was low due to my DD's PTT) and it came up within 48 hours and maintained great - in fact it kept increasing. Now her PTT is fixed so she is nursing well and I am still pumping a little bit so I am decreasing my 1 pill a day...so far my supply is still increasing despite the decrease in dom...however, I still work FT so I expect to remain on a low dose for probably about 12 months (or however long I pump at work). I would like to be down to 30ml/day ideally.

which is reminding me I am STILL WAITING on my last order...ARGH!!!
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
blessedx8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama for telling me your experiences. I'm able to stay home luckily, so I don't have to worry about pumping. I've never had problems of overproduction (always the opposite) so I really believe I probably wouldn't be able to ebf if I had to pump during the day. It's just never been this bad before.

My main problem is probably stress. I've been keeping my dgs on top of my own littles and that's been difficult even though he's really a good baby. I've decided to let my 19 yo dd start keeping him instead, so that will reduce some of my stress there.

Also, my current scheduling (or NON-scheduling, really) of hsing and chores is a huge problem for me. I'm trying to get that under control as well. Add to that the worry of my LO not gaining and well, you can probably imagine the stress.

I've never tried DP before, I've always just supplemented (but luckily was still was able to bf for at least a year with all my others). Since my dd won't take any kind of supplementation, I really hope the DP will work. I'm at my wit's end!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
CAaddict
Registered Users
seller

Domperidone has worked wonders for me. I started taking 20mg, 4x a day and noticed an increase within 24 hours. I ended up with a crazy oversupply, and have weaned down to 10mg, 3 times per day and I'm soon going to try and cut out my nighttime dose. My LO sleeps through the night and I wake up an uncomfortable, leaking mess! Way better than the alternative, though

So, for me, it has definitely solved my low supply issue. When I'm at work, I pump every 3-4 hours and if I'm late, I don't find that my supply suffers. I am still able to pump 5-6 ounces, even on the low dose (I was getting up to 12 on the full dosage!).

I hope it works for you as well. Good luck!
CAaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
blessedx8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you CAaddict!! I hope it does too! I guess since the Fenugreek/BT combo didn't do much I was afraid the DP wouldn't either. Is it that much stronger? Have any of you other ladies used FG/BT combo and then DP and it worked better?

I got an email saying my order was shipped yesterday so hopefully, it'll get here quickly, though yesterday seemed to be a better milk day .
Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
CAaddict
Registered Users
seller

I was taking Fenugreek and alfalfa and it did absolutely nothing for me. The Dom is a night and day difference!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i took it for a little while because i wanted to increase my supply since i worked a lot and wanted to pump more. it did increase my supply but i had really bad constipation, more tired, moody, thirsty all the time so i stopped taking it
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
CAaddict
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes
i took it for a little while because i wanted to increase my supply since i worked a lot and wanted to pump more. it did increase my supply but i had really bad constipation, more tired, moody, thirsty all the time so i stopped taking it
That's interesting! I've heard of weight gain, but not the other side effects. I haven't experienced any myself, though I am always pretty moody

Did your supply drop back down when you stopped taking it? Did you wean off, or quit cold turkey?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
heidi320
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Would you mind sharing where you got your domperidone? We're adopting in about 2 months, and I'd like to try to establish some kind of supply so that we can nurse at least part time!

Thanks, mamas!
heidi320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
CAaddict
Registered Users
seller

I'm in Canada, so I just get a prescription from my doctor. I've heard about moms in the US using InHouse Pharmacy.