Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Kenner82
Registered Users
seller

Fitted Diapers On A Budget?

I'm looking to start using fitteds on my 1 year old at night, but I'm overwhelmed by all the options. OVERWHELMINGLY people suggest the SBish OBV, but I'm having trouble stomaching the price (even used they're $20 and up!) Does anybody have suggestions for fitteds that don't cost as much?

The only ones I've tried so far are the red GMD workhorses, and I think my baby has a long torso because even at 7 months the rise was getting dangerously low. He also would soak through them and I couldn't fit my hemp inserts under the sewn in doubler, so then his skin would get red from being against the wetness all night So, not the best experience, but I know there must be better options!

I'm open to any brand, but my ideal diaper would be absorbent enough to not cause his skin to turn red, fit well on a tall skinny baby, be easy to wash (we have hard water, and I'm starting to have some smell issues with microfiber inserts) and relatively affordable (let's say less than $15, but I'd still love feedback on diapers at any price point!) Any name brand or WAHM suggestions?

Advertisement

Kenner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Chibirsd
Registered Users
seller

The sbish is amazing. I still have dry spots on the back in the morning after 12+ hours on my baby that nurses all night and soaked every diaper by midnight before. It's worth the money, plus they hold resale value extremely well. My wahm night diapers ( made with love and megaroos) were closer to 30+ dollars so really the sbish is cheaper.

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.
Chibirsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fitted Diapers On A Budget?

You may want to take a look at Motherease Sandy's. I am using the ToddleEase with my big boy, and they are working really well. There is no doubler, so it is really easy to add whatever doubler you want to the diaper. I have been adding a folded hemp doubler in my son's diaps and it works really well.

My other suggestion would have been GMD, as those work really well for my 1yo, but I see you have already tried those. But I have been able to use doublers both over and under the flap with no problems.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For affordable absorbent fitteds my favorites are tiny tush OS. The cotton version is only $13.95 and they're super absorbent and they wash really clean.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ME Bamboo Sandys. I have used both SBish snapless and ME Sandys overnight, and both are great! My favorite Sandy's overnight solution is a Bamboo Sandy with a large hemp doubler and the ME Staydry liner (they call it a liner, but it is really a doubler)

On a side note, the cost of SBish snapless fitteds is kind of equaled out by the fact that they come with 2 fantastic bamboo doublers. With many other fitteds (like ME) the fitted is less expensive, but the doublers have to be purchased separately.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Sew_Sweet
Registered Users
seller

Unless you're totally committed to fitteds, wouldn't a prefold with a doubler of some sort work just as well and be much more economical? I mean if it is the cost that is an issue that'd be so much more reasonable. That's what we're going to do.
Sew_Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have used MEOS at night and add whatever absorbency I need. Right now I'm using a snap in stay dry liner with a flip organic insert (probably more absorbency and certainly more bulk than you are looking for with a 7 month old) under the liner.
For daytime fitteds we use bamboo MEOS with a bamboo snap in liner and I top that with a gcloth to get stay dry fleece.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Angel89411
Banned

I am going to try Thirsties Duo. $16.50 new. Stay dry. A tunnel to increase absorbency. They will be the only non-natural diapers we have but I need stay dry for nights because my little man wakes up even with a fleece liner.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
Kenner82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew_Sweet View Post
Unless you're totally committed to fitteds, wouldn't a prefold with a doubler of some sort work just as well and be much more economical? I mean if it is the cost that is an issue that'd be so much more reasonable. That's what we're going to do.
During the day we use a trifolded GMD yellow edge prefold with a small Thirsties hemp insert. That keeps him dry enough to not get red but still fits under the Grovia covers that fit him nicely. It wouldn't be enough absorbency for overnight, though. Our initial stash was all prefolds, but with the amount of doublers we were having to use for overnights he started having trouble rolling over That's when we moved to microfiber and hemp in a stay dry sock for nights, but he's gotten taller and now for some reason it's pulling the cover down really far in the front and not fitting properly. SO, that's why I'm thinking of buying probably 3 super absorbent fitteds to use just for overnights so I can stop trying to get inserts and liners to stay in place
Kenner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller

The workhorse works well for my heavy wetter, even overnight. For nights I put a happy heiney hemp oval under the flap (I use these with WHs every time during the day), hemp insert on top of the flap, and a premie prefold or cotton doubler on top of the hemp. It's large and in charge, but it works!

I sold all my sbish for GMD WHs.