Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Foster Care Present Question?

I'm just lurking because I'd eventually like to foster, but from the perspective of a teacher, I would definitely do books and coloring supplies. I've had students come to school without a clue how to hold a writing utensil, and it takes them a long time to catch up with respect to being able to write nice enough to be able to read the writing. It's not a terribly big deal that they come into school not knowing how to hold a pencil, but the thing is they get very frustrated when trying to learn to write and even draw.

wife to John (8/5/00) mom to D (7), A (4.5), and N (2)
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Registered Users

As a foster parent, toothbrushes (fun ones for the kids), sippy cups, a gift card for a pizza night or something. Usually the first day of having a child is hectic and just being able to order a pizza for dinner is nice, books, a photo album to keep pictures of the kids that they foster is nice also, tearless baby shampoo. Hope this helps.
lmommy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
Registered Users
Thanks for all the responses. This is very helpful for me. I think I'm going to wait until they have been placed with a child before doing anything.
akhwbj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'm going to second meals too! In my church/MOPS group, we regularly have moms bring meals to families who have just had babies. I had a few offer and bring me meals when we had our first placement (newborn) which was sooooo nice and also my MOPS table gave me a $60 gift card to a nearby restaurant to pick up quick meals as needed. So thoughtful!
A SAHM to four long out of diapers (all used cloth for all or part of their diapering years) and a baby girl currently in cloth part time.
WynneBabies is offline   Reply With Quote