Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

When do flats become a trim diaper?

I've been following the NB in Flats thread... so cute but so bulky... I guess I didn't realize they would be so bulky - I always hear how trim flats are but I guess that is with a bigger baby

Anyway...I have already decided to use NB prefolds for the first few weeks to give me time to figure out flats... My plan was to skip the bigger size prefolds and just use flats after we outgrew the NB PFs. Now I'm worried the flats will be too bulky? So do you think flats will be a good fit once baby outgrows the NB prefolds... or will they still be really bulky? When do flats become a trimmer option than sized prefolds?

I'll be using Swaddlebees, SM GMD, and SM DR flats... Probably with a kite fold or just with the flat folded into a smaller square, and I will be using a snappi or a pin..

Advertisement

sweetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
MomBecks
Registered Users

Re: When do flats become a trim diaper?

The Swaddlebees might be a bit big around 12 pounds as they're more of a med/large flat, but small flats should be great once you're out of nb pfs.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBecks View Post
The Swaddlebees might be a bit big around 12 pounds as they're more of a med/large flat, but small flats should be great once you're out of nb pfs.
Good to hear that they will be a good fit... Ive been looking at all these great pictures of babies in trim flats and then I checked out the NB thread and I was like WHAT? Those look huge! Just a brief moment of panic... thanks for the reassurance

And about the Swaddlebees sizing...that's good to know... I didn't realize swaddlebees were bigger. I was counting them as small flats in my stash... I already have 2 dozen small and 1 dozen large... maybe I should just get one pack of Swaddlebees and 6 Osocozys, but the swaddlebees are so cute and if I only get one pack I'll need to decide on a color...

Thanks so much!
Old 01-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used only flats till the boys were 6 months. They were extreamly trim. Mine are gauze though and imposible to find. The key is they are just smaller cuts and thin. I pad fold so no messes. You could try buying some smaller recieving blankets. I love those!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

I have a pack of the Swaddlebees and thought they were a typical flat. And then I bought some gmd ub flats, and boy are they softer. The Swaddlebees aren't nearly as comfy feeling :/ just a heads up
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just got into flats. They are so super trim. If you buy small's I bet by 10lbs they will be trim I have swaddlebees, Osocozy and Diaper rite. DR is def rougher and swaddlebees is def the softest!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some interesting threads for ya:

Our fold:
http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1238443

T-shirt daddy flats how to with pic heavy instructions I did. Very easy and 100% customizeable:
http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1242376

The small gauze flats we have for smaller babys:
http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1231842

2 HUGE fold tuts:
http://diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=877212
and
http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1143602
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never been able to fold well enough to be able to pin or snappi on my baby. So I just pad fold. Pad folding is extremely trim, BUT my baby is almost one, so it might be bulkier on a smaller baby
Old 01-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Some interesting threads for ya:
Thanks, I'll definitely check those out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly Designs View Post
I have never been able to fold well enough to be able to pin or snappi on my baby. So I just pad fold. Pad folding is extremely trim, BUT my baby is almost one, so it might be bulkier on a smaller baby
I will probably try pad folding once baby is older, but I EBF so I'm planning on using pins or snappis in the beginning.

I'm definitely feeling reassured that the small flats will fit once baby is out of his NB prefolds. I think I am going to go ahead and order 2 packs of swaddlebees... then I don't need to decide on the color. That will give me 48 flats in my stash

Thanks everyone! I'm starting to feel really content with my planned stash. I ordered 2 of every size of GMD PF to try out (just in case I end hating flats and need to figure out size) but I'm thinking those will be great diaper bag diapers