Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
luckyducky77
Registered Users
seller

Called my friend's cousin's daycare and found out that they will do cloth but may not have a space for our baby. If she becomes a registered day care vs a certified day care she is now, she would be limited to 2 infants and so far, one spot is held for a sibling about to be born and the other is my friend's daughter who goes there once a week. So in theory, we could share that spot since I'll be able to have the baby with me on Monday's (the day our friend's kid is there) but only until the baby is 6 mo old and the other kid may go more often as she gets older. Other coworkers have found that beyond that, the kids got bored. Then we would need care from someone else on that day. $200 per week doesn't seem bad though right? Ugh! I want it to be more simple!

Advertisement

Last edited by luckyducky77; 01-31-2012 at 02:36 PM.
luckyducky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Daycare

i did in home daycare for a couple years. it was 25/day and that was the going rate for all in home daycares. i wasn't certified(not required by law) in VA, but parents could come and go and inspect themselves...i was very open. I started two babies at 8wks old and one stayed the longest at almost 2...then we moved. So that may be something to look into! if i needed childcare, IMO i'd go for inhome care, because the allowed ratio is much less
Old 01-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
luckyducky77
Registered Users
seller

Well, I'm not sure I'd want a ratio that was too high in terms of babies to care providers. What is great about this place is that they do enriching activities for all aged kids and have a separate room for the infants. And one of the issues my friends had prior to using her cousin with an in home provider was that she took every holiday off, even the lame minor ones, and would call in sick. Obviously everyone gets sick but at least with a center, there's more than one employee so the center stays open if one person is sick. Growing up in Hawaii, my grandparents watched us until we were preschool age (aka free) and so my preference would be for MIL to do the same but not sure she'd be for that since she does love to travel in her RV so finding episodic/drop in care would be even harder.

Last edited by luckyducky77; 01-31-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
luckyducky77
Registered Users
seller

So my MIL just came by to drop off her entry form and $$ for the Shamrock Run/Walk and I asked her how much she can help out and she said she'd be there when we need or want her so I talked to her about at least the 3-6 month time period and she was fine with that so maybe I'll only ask about full time options from 6 months on. Found a few more locations near by so now just waiting to find out which ones will do cloth diapers. One sounds really good since they teach sign language to the kids and we plan on doing that ourselves too. And older kids can do swimming lessons once they're potty trained.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
SqueakersMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyducky77 View Post
So my MIL just came by to drop off her entry form and $$ for the Shamrock Run/Walk and I asked her how much she can help out and she said she'd be there when we need or want her so I talked to her about at least the 3-6 month time period and she was fine with that so maybe I'll only ask about full time options from 6 months on. Found a few more locations near by so now just waiting to find out which ones will do cloth diapers. One sounds really good since they teach sign language to the kids and we plan on doing that ourselves too. And older kids can do swimming lessons once they're potty trained.
That sounds really good! Looking for daycare is so hard. I had to do it with two of mine - not fun! The going rate for newborns at my place of choice was $180/wk and that was 5 years ago so I think that $200 sounds completely reasonable. They dropped the rate by age after that.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
luckyducky77
Registered Users
seller

Well, so far, the 3 other daycares I have heard from will all do cloth diapers! They all cost more than our friend's cousin though. The bummer is that only one of them (kindercare) will allow babies to be there for 12 hours, which may be needed on my long days if DH has to work late too. They happen to be the most expensive at $264 per week (though price is going up in September by about $5 they think). Since baby will need care for 4 days per week, we still pay for 5. I suppose if we ask MIL to watch baby one day a week when he/she can no longer come with me to work, we could just pay for 3 days per week but she likes to travel in her RV in the spring-fall. She has already said she's not going anywhere this upcoming summer-winter so she can help out with baby but the next year I'm sure she'll want to go off on a few adventures. I'll have to find out if we can increase to full time as needed...if so, then we could pay the 3 day/wk rate of $200 per week and then pay as needed for full time when MIL goes on vacation. The nice thing is that later on when baby goes to table foods, the price includes meals and actually decreases because the ratios of kids/caregiver can be lower. So much to think about! The interesting thing is that one of my patients works there I think in the kitchen (she's a normal one, not a crazy weird one). I'm also more optimistic about cloth working well there because the site director is due the same day as I am and will be doing cloth diapers too!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
SqueakersMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyducky77 View Post
Well, so far, the 3 other daycares I have heard from will all do cloth diapers! They all cost more than our friend's cousin though. The bummer is that only one of them (kindercare) will allow babies to be there for 12 hours, which may be needed on my long days if DH has to work late too. They happen to be the most expensive at $264 per week (though price is going up in September by about $5 they think). Since baby will need care for 4 days per week, we still pay for 5. I suppose if we ask MIL to watch baby one day a week when he/she can no longer come with me to work, we could just pay for 3 days per week but she likes to travel in her RV in the spring-fall. She has already said she's not going anywhere this upcoming summer-winter so she can help out with baby but the next year I'm sure she'll want to go off on a few adventures. I'll have to find out if we can increase to full time as needed...if so, then we could pay the 3 day/wk rate of $200 per week and then pay as needed for full time when MIL goes on vacation. The nice thing is that later on when baby goes to table foods, the price includes meals and actually decreases because the ratios of kids/caregiver can be lower. So much to think about! The interesting thing is that one of my patients works there I think in the kitchen (she's a normal one, not a crazy weird one). I'm also more optimistic about cloth working well there because the site director is due the same day as I am and will be doing cloth diapers too!
That's great! I toured two Kindercare facilities when we lived in Virginia Beach and was really comfortable with them. All of the people I talked to either on the phone or in person were friendly and helpful, too. At that time those facilities would not accommodate cloth diapering, but it makes me really happy to know that it's starting to turn around. Cool!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
luckyducky77
Registered Users
seller

The kindercare national rep said that each center is different and I needed to go on the tour to find out what that center would or wouldn't do so I was happy that they would do it. Despite the pricing, their hours of operation so far are the best for my work schedule (assuming I were to keep the same work hours when I return).