Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
eyelashes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
my son hasn't gained weight in three weeks... LOTS of questions.

I am frustrated. My boy hasn't gained an ounce in three weeks. I thought he had actually lost weight, but I weighed him again and he's exactly 14.6 pounds for the third week in a row. I THINK he started sleeping through the night right when he should have had a growth spurt and I need to catch up or something, but my husband is all in a panic about it. Also, he is teething and he seems less interesting in nursing. I am trying to make sure I feed him every two hours at least, is there anything else I can do? Last night my husband was telling me I need to give him formula. He doesn't understand my total commitment to breastfeeding. Ugh. Also, my son usually only poops once every few days, but he has gone 5 times since yesterday morning! How do I know if he has diarhea? It started with a bm that was more solid than normal, followed by totally normal poop, and the last one was sort of mucousy, but I chalked that up to the teething. Sorry. This is a lot of questions. I guess I'm just looking for a little support/advice.

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: my son hasn't gained weight in three weeks... LOTS of questions.

I bet everything is perfectly fine...babies have days where they will go a week without a BM then days where they will go all day for a few days in a row...it's no problem at all. An exclusively BF baby will rarely get diarrhea you are giving him all he needs even if he did have it, so just keep nursing...but if it looks really mucousy or like watery or blood in it...then worry but other than that it sounds fine....and the weight sounds fine, babies go through stages where they gain and then don't gain...and bf babies have a completely different weight gain schedule than FF babies.

If you want to BF then you should not have ANY formula in your house, you don't need it and having it there is only a setback if you use it. It will start a down hill battle you don't want to start. ALso if he's teething and drooling really badly the drool can affect their bm, it can make it acidic too.

Check www.kellymom.com it is the BEST web resource for breastfeeding
Old 04-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne....html#vomiting
Old 04-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would worry less about his weight and more about how he seems.

Is he satisfied after nursing? Sleeping/napping normally? I would stop weighing him weekly, you'll just stress yourself out needlessly.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
eyelashes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for your responses. We do have formula in the house because they (the formula companies) gave me TONS of it when he was born - but it has only been used once, when I was at the grocery store and my husband's dad came over to visit with my husband and the baby, and they decided he was hungry. That was months ago, and I was pretty angry. I know all of the things you are saying are true, and I read all the links on kellymom already. It's just hard when you feel like your baby is hungry and you start to second guess yourself. He is acting normal, he smiles and plays and coos like normal, but he's also pretty cranky - I'm guessing because of the teething. He went through a thing the last couple of weeks where he wouldn't nap AT ALL during the day, and then would sleep 10-12 hours at night. I think skipping the night time feeding or two may have contributed to the problem, especially since he was three months and I think they normally have a growth spurt around then. Now he is taking short naps and sleeping more like 8 or 9 hours at night, which I think is healthier for a three month old. You're probably right about weighing him too often. I like to watch his weight gain, because it has been so satisfying and reassuring to me thus far. He was only 6 pounds 14 ounces at birth, and gained up a storm until this point. I know I need to relax. I wish my husband wasn't so clueless when it comes to breastfeeding. I tell him over and over all the many reasons why I'm doing it no matter what, but he seems to "forget" as soon it seems for a second like formula would be more convenient for him (then I have to remind him of all the reasons it wouldn't be) . I don't need that pressure!

I think I really posted because I wanted you all to back me up and tell me not to stress, and that my baby is probably totally normal. And it worked. Thank you for reassuring me.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Would your DH be at all willing to read what you read on the Kellymom or other breastfeeding sites? It seems like what you're telling him goes in one ear and out the other. Maybe reading it firsthand, from experts would make it sink in. Or, print out all the reasons to BF, and not to FF, and put them right on the refrigerator door. Encouragement for you, reminders for him.

I sent all the formula checks and samples that I got to a cousin whose MIL (my aunt) totally undermined her breastfeeding attempt. At least it did that family some good, and it didn't sit around here tempting me, or DH.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Babies slow down in their weight gain. I bet he is perfectly fine. My ds has been 18 pounds since he was 6 months old. He was 18.7, went down to 18.2 when he started moving around and now at almost 11 months old he is still 18.2. His ped is fine with it and says he is normal. As long as your baby has a good amount of wet/dirty diapers I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Babies definitely slow down with weight gain. I've read many times of bf babies not gaining any weight between 6-12 mos of age because they put on so much weight in the beginning, this is normal too. If he's still having lots of wet diapers, I wouldn't be worried. He's gonna tell you if he's hungry, so I'm sure he's not starving. I bet he gains weight soon.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Yep I just had to agree with everyone else. My dh is like that too, he never pushed formula but he knew better. He does "try" to push weaning though. Has since 12 months.

Anyway: dd was 16.9 lbs from 9-12 months then she went to 19lbs and has been there since 13 months. I wouldn't worry about it at all. It's very normal especially in bfed babies. There's more ingredients that arent used in formula which is ONE reason that ff tend to be bigger. BM is all used up. Also if your baby is active, like my dd there's no wonder why they don't get a little bigger. I wouldn't worry about a thing. You're doing AWESOME.

As for the bm's teething is probably the problem. Just like everyone here said they can have LOTS of diapers in a week and then slow down and then a lot again. I know my dd did this quite often when she was just a few months old. Now she goes about ONCE a day sometimes twice. But then when shes getting teeth she goes much more. Hang in there. You're doing what's best for you and your baby. WTG!!! I also agree that you should stop weighing him weekly. I know it would be fun to watch them grow but at the same time it just gets you wondering. I would learn to watch his cues. As long as your nursing him often and getting plenty to drink/eat yourself you will make PLENTY of milk. Don't forget that!!
Old 04-21-2007, 08:45 PM   #10
eyelashes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for your encouragement mamas!