Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
schmoo119
Registered Users

My Mood:
tailbone injury?

anyone else bruise/injure her tailbone during labor and birth?? my ob said it was fairly common but i haven't heard of anyone else doing so!!

Advertisement

schmoo119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Living4Him
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: tailbone injury?

Yes!!! It was awful. It happened with the birth of my oldes 15 years ago and I still have episodes where it acts up. My OB said the end of the tailbone popped out of place, or dislocated, and it was miserable for many many years if I sat wrong. For a really long time sitting on anything without a cushion or being reclined and having pressure on it hurt a lot.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have heard of it happening, and I have read that chiropractic care can really help to minimize the damage and make it less of a problem for future births (not to mention the rest of your life!)
Old 02-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
OurLabtink
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine broke during my first son's birth. It was the second time mine was broken, so I don't know if I can blame the pain on the first or second break.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my tailbone hurt incredibly for at least 4 months after i gave birth naturally to my son who was 10lbs 7oz at birth. i really think he was just too big and possibly not coming out at the correct angle when he was born.

i don't think there's anything you can do for it, but it should just get better over time.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't had this but apparently I broke my mom's tailbone when I was born. She still complains about it, almost 30 yrs later. I think she had to sit on a donut pillow for like 2 weeks and she still has episodes where it acts up once in a while.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I fell down the stairs when I was around 4, on my butt... I hurt my tailbone (don't know if I broke it) but for many years after, sitting for prolonged periods (eg at a cinema) made it 'seize up' and hurt when I finally stood.

I'm just over 3 weeks PP and DD2 was 9lb 15oz; I'm having the same issues as when I fell down the stairs, except a LOT worse... So I'm wondering if I broke it as a kid and birthing DD2 (who was pretty much yanked out of me in the end because she was at an odd angle and BIG (compared to DD, who was 7lb 11oz (I am petite also... 120lbs, 5'2"... Which I'm sure didn't help...)) has re-broken it. Sometimes when I stand, after sitting for a few minutes, it just aches, other times I feel a definite POP like it was pushed out of place by my sitting and pops back into place when I stand up...

I have a pillow for the car, but it doesn't really help because the angle of the seat is what's really aggravating the issue. Sucks! It has definitely improved in 3 weeks, but not as much as I would have hoped.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
schmoo119
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanks for all your responses!
i would say mine was significantly better (75-90% better) after 6-8 weeks. i'm hoping it won't happen with any future births, although i dont know if there's anything to be done to prevent it!! driving and riding in the car is the worst, plus getting onto and off of a couch or chair after feeding baby. hang in there, expatmama!
schmoo119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

YES! I broke my tailbone with my first child during birth 4-1/2 years ago... it still acts up and gets painful. Especially, when I'm pregnant. I can't sit on any hard surface or floor for very long (even not pregnant). I have to take a lot of breaks on long drives, etc. Not fun... My mom broke her tailbone after one of brother's births and she has episodes of pain 20 years later!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
DiaperPalz
Registered Users
Formerly: cjspears26
seller
seller

dd2 bruised my tailbone pretty bad. It hurt for a few months and felt like I had fallen down a flight of stairs.