Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

DD has her upper incisors now and they're digging into my skin at times, when she is nursing to sleep or sleep nursing at night. Is this common? Is it something my skin just needs to get used to? It hurts a bit, and I usually cut the nursing session short, which is okay since she's normally asleep by the time it hurts. I'm wondering if it has something to do with her latch, but I'm not sure how to work on that since she's half asleep when we're having the problem...her latch is fine other times.

I'm worried it might get worse or cause damage to my nipple if I let it go on too long, but I'm not sure what to do. Thoughts?

Advertisement

Last edited by Teexie; 02-01-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Teeth digging into my skin

I noticed when I was BFing that when DD was half asleep she would sort of not be latched on all the way. So it could definitely be her latch. You probably will end up with a raw/sore spot if it continues. If unlatching is working then I would keep with it. If she wakes up then let her latch back on. To prevent causing trauma, I would unlatch as soon as you feel it and yet again, relatch if she wants too.
Hum Bums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

You need to make sure she opens big and wide each time she latches on. Her teeth should not be hurting you. I don't even feel my son's teeth when he nurses.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was looking for this thread the other day! It's definitely latch my DS does the same thing, but only to the right side. I found that relatching while asleep/half asleep helped. I got a bit of a sore on the one side where his teeth would dig, he has 7 now. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
FluffyBum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Same thing happens with my 23 month old DD. I think they start to fall asleep and their jaw relaxes causing the teeth to fall into nipple. I usually unlatch and if it wakes her up relatch. If she's awake when it happens I unlatch her and let her know mommy is getting an ouchie from teeth. After that she fixes her latch.
FluffyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh i forgot to mention it only happens when we nurse side laying on that one side. He doesn't do it if i'm sitting up, though he does have a shallower latch on that side. I wouldn't worry too much about it overall.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Teeth digging into my skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoMeijin View Post
Oh i forgot to mention it only happens when we nurse side laying on that one side.
Yes, exactly the same for us. Thanks for the suggestions mamas!
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote