Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
Registered Users
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Korea
Posts: 81
Did you have a natural first childbirth?

I'm wanting to hear some stories about first births, especially natural ones. I'm pregnant with my first child and really wanting to have a natural hospital birth--no pitocin, no amniotomy, no episiotomy, no pain meds...

If you had your first naturally, can you tell me about it? Was he/she late? Did you know it when you were in active labor? If you had a hospital birth, how was your experience? How was recovery?

By the way, both baby and I are looking perfectly healthy so far. Also, I'm planning on laboring at home as long as possible to avoid the hospital rushing me.


waitingforbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
moonlightblonde's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,413
Re: Did you have a natural first childbirth?

I did! It was great =) they didn't even do routine bloodwork until the end (though super unnecessary). I was not continuously monitored and did not have an IV/hep lock. Though I did spend most of the time in bed - the only time I didn't feel like puking was when I curled up on my right side, I spent most of my time wandering the house and eating melon before we got to the hospital though.

I did have a doula, without her I probably would have caved and got an epi - I started to change my mind and the nurse immediately ran out to get the anesthesiologist - my doula suggested that she thought I was in transition and they check me..I was so I was fine. I had only been in the hospital just over an hour at that point and didn't think I would be able to make it 20-30 hrs like that, thankfully I didn't have to. I did most of the laboring at home. I would avoid being IN the hospital as much as possible.

Recovery, I felt fine less than 10 minutes after she was born..was totally bored & wanted to leave but was trapped to the one floor - couldn't even walk to Tim Hortons in the building. That part sucked..I was not sick & did not want to be there.

I did have one nurse with a stick up her butt that drove me nuts. Dd cried, a lot though we were fine with it..she kept telling me there was nothing she could do to help me unless I let her give dd a bottle..I had never asked for her help and my baby was not getting formula for NO reason.

Technically I didn't know I was in active labor - I just felt sick sick sick...sour stomach and period cramps..I called my doula and she was over within an hour (she had to dump her 4 kids)..she took a look at me and within 10 minutes she suggested we leave. Apparently I have a pretty high pain tolerance and was able to talk/walk & eat through contractions so I figured we had a long way to go. I wasn't hurting so much as I was uncomfortable.
Mama to Brooklyn Marie 7/10/08 , Team green turned PINK Rebecca Rose 4/19/2012 & Katie Renee 3/13/2012
moonlightblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
KB'sMama1031's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: southeast us
Posts: 2,242
My Mood:
Re: Did you have a natural first childbirth?

Originally Posted by waitingforbaby View Post
I'm wanting to hear some stories about first births, especially natural ones. I'm pregnant with my first child and really wanting to have a natural hospital birth--no pitocin, no amniotomy, no episiotomy, no pain meds...

If you had your first naturally, can you tell me about it? YES, (you asked!) Was he/she late? NO, early. Did you know it when you were in active labor? NOPE! If you had a hospital birth, how was your experience? NOT GREAT. How was recovery? FINE, I liked that they brought me food 3 times a day.

By the way, both baby and I are looking perfectly healthy so far. Also, I'm planning on laboring at home as long as possible to avoid the hospital rushing me.
I did! My DS was due Nov 10, 2010 I had a healthy pregnancy and no reason for concern. We have a home about 5 minutes from the hospital. The week before my delivery I called and went in to my OBs office to be checked for possible signs of labor. I has having intense irregular stomach cramping every 10 minutes or less, I told the OB it was 8 out of 10 pain wise. I was having hot flashes and felt like i needed to have BM since I had not been able to go for the past week (sorry TMI). I was checked, and told that I was still 2 cm and maybe 60 or 70 percent effaced.. like I had been for a week or so... I was sent home, after being told "trust me, when youre really in labor youll Know it!" and that my cramping was probably actually gas pains.
So I went home, grumpy, yet relieved, and feeling like a wuss. I was pretty scared of how much labor was going to hurt but also tired of being big and uncomfortable.
A few days later I had my last evening at work; after work my DH and I met my in-laws at Maggiano's a local italian restaurant whos' eggplant parmesan is rumored to send pregnant full-term women into labor within 48 hours of being consumed. I was still 10 days before my due date and Maggiano's eggplant parmesan did not work for my SIL, so while it was delicious, I did not expect much. I ate half of it and took the rest home, at 11 PM or so I finished it at home.
DH ran a bath and we DTD. It was late but we put on a movie, I was pretty sure I ate too much, my stomach hurt, DH fell asleep he jokingly said "wake me up if youre in labor".
I had cramping, I really thought I needed to have a BM, it was in the early morning of October 31, 2010 (Halloween!)... still 10 days before my due date
I remember crying at one point fearing that labor would be "so much worse" than what I was feeling and that I would feel the way that I did for the next ten days!
I was tossing and turning in bed, and up and down to the bathroom and back, I was having pain on and off every 5 or 7 or 3 or maybe 10 minutes as well as hot sweats... I felt the same as I had a few days before when the OB called me a wuss and sent me home
(*I should have woken up DH and made him time my stomach pains )
But, I was not going to wake up DH and my doc and numerous nurses to go in to the hospital in the middle of the night just to be treated as a whiny pregnant lady who didnt know what her body was doing, all over again, and be sent home
So I waited, finally one of the times in the bathroom I heard a "pop".. I think, then I peed, I was so tired at this point I didnt know if I was peeing or not, I didnt even know how long it had been
I got up, to go back to the bed, again and I was definitely leaking something a little bit, I figured maybe my water had broken indicating the START of labor (wishful thinking!) It was not a huge gush though.. so I probably wasnt in labor yet, but something was happening that wasnt "exaggerated gas pains" I was excited, they would have to believe me now!
So I woke DH, we called my OB who said we could come in, they called the hospital to let them know we were coming, then called us back as said we could leave the house
I tried to get my pillow, I couldnt. I had to tell DH what to grab and throw in the already mostly packed hospital bags, and we got in the car. I cursed every bump and pot hole the whole way to the hospital, Im sure they werent very big, but they felt that way then.
We pulled up to the L&D entrance, the lights were off, no one was outside.

DH said "uh.. should we park in the parking deck??" I said "yeah I guess" I had expected someone to be outside, with a wheelchair, the dashboard clock said 5:45 am.
So DH drove up to the 3rd floor, as he drove I remember saying "I hope when we get inside, I can get an epidural and take a nap, I still havent gone to sleep tonight!" DH said "Well dont get ahead of yourself, we dont even know if youre in labor yet" I replied "will you pick a parking spot already!?"
So he parked, we got out, I was hit by a sudden wave of nausea, I threw up next to the truck.
We took the elevator down to the ground level, DH was carrying our bags and pillows and was pulling my waddling self along by the hand as he quickly rushed toward the locked doors. It was still dark and 40 degrees on that October Georgia night.
I stopped walking. "I can feel his head coming out" I said, DH pulling my arm replied "Yeah I bet thats what its supposed to feel like come on"
I said that I couldnt walk any further, then a lot of things happened at once, I couldnt NOT push, so I did, and his head was out! somewhere in there DH appeared with a wheelchair behind me. I was half sitting, my PJ pants were by my knees and my underwear had stretched to cradle babys' head nicely, I moved them to the side and felt his body rotate to the side, there was a feeling of relief when his shoulders became parallel to the ground, I had to push again, so I did, he was out to his elbows, DH supported his head and helped guide him out, then put him on my chest. I yelled "ouch!" the umbilical cord is NOT a stretchy as it looked, it could barely reach to my chest.

At this point we were still outside, on the sidewalk, in the dark, alone. The L&D lights flicked on, and the doors flew open, 2 or 3 nurses ran out with a wheelchair and one of those emergency delivery kits. They looked at us like we each had 3 heads.
DH covered little DS up with his jacket and we were rushed inside. They asked us what time he had been born, we said 5:55 am, he had no Apgar test. I had managed not to moon the empty dark parking lot thanks to my awesome stretchy undies classy!
Once inside, DH cut the cord, and a random Dr from my practice helped me deliver the placenta and gave me 3 stitches for my "busted" labia. They sent DH downstairs to check us in, covered in blood and baby goo he said people kept staring at him
The baby was perfect, his head was a little bruised from being born so quickly, but he was pink and crying and we were very very lucky that nothing went wrong. I was able to nurse him and continue bonding.
We got moved very quickly up to a nice room with a great view, even though they were "out of rooms" that morning we were visited by a number of important hospital personnel, someone may have lost their job...
we called my in laws and my SIL who was at work in oncology in the same hospital, they all came to see the baby
I called my parents who live 4 hours away, they piled in the car to come see us too
Only 6 hours after he was born, a nurse said it was time for his bath. They left with the baby, I fell asleep, a few hours later I woke up and asked the nurse where he was she said she would find out, I was finally put in touch with a nurse who said his oxygen was low so he was taken to the NICU for monitoring
Still very out of it, I sent DH with the nurse to go figure out what was going on
I was brought food and my parents arrived, the baby was still not back, I called the NICU directly and yelled at someone, they said he was fine, but that they were running some tests, I said NO and to bring my baby back NOW
They did, It had been 6 hours that he was gone, he was 12 hours old and had been away from me for half of his life. He had not had a bath and was not hungry to nurse, I suspected they had given him formula
My parents finally got to meet him (they had to wait 2 hours in the hospital room for them to bring the baby back, after driving 4 to get to us!) then they had to leave, my mom promised to come back and stay with me after we were released from the hospital
we were in the hospital 2.5 days, I finally found out that they had taken him to the NICU to cover their a$$es since he was born outside (their fault, not mine!), he had x-rays, MRIs, lots of blood drawn and a battery of testing, who knows what else?
We had our baby and we were happy, if something had gone wrong during the delivery, that would probably change.
Unfortunately, homebirth with a CNM is not legal in Ga, only unassisted birth is :/
So the next baby will probably be a hossie baby too (hopefully not a sidewalk baby though)
I guess its cool that DH got to deliver his son?
If you read all that then this is for you:
Laura SAHM to DS 10/31/10, expecting someone new April 2014

Last edited by KB'sMama1031; 02-02-2012 at 08:36 AM.
KB'sMama1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Sylvie89's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 532
Re: Did you have a natural first childbirth?

Wow pp - awesome story!

I had a natural birth - well a natural birth for having a 30 weeker. I had premature rupture of membranes. I was given an IV of magnesium sulfate to stop labor. After 12 hours they stopped the medication and told me I would likely deliver next day. Once the magnesium wore off I delivered precipitously. I called the nurse in to tell her that I was having a lot of contractions, she just nodded and smiled until I said "I'm having a lot of pressure on my bottom" then she checked me - I was at 8 cm, which is enough dilation to have a 30 week baby. The nurse said "you have a high pain tolerance" and I was rushed into delivery and had him about 20 minutes or so later (I think - I am fuzzy on the timing - it was fast - they told me not to push until the NICU team was assembled and once I pushed it was only 5 to 10 minutes max). I found that the contractions were totally bearable, but once I needed to push, my contractions were constant - that was hard. The L&D doctor said that if I have another baby to come to the hospital immediately when labor starts.

Hopefully, next time I will have a 40 week baby - perhaps that will slow labor down a bit. Incidentally, my son also had a bruised head from birth. I didn't realize it was from having him so fast.
Sylvie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
ofthemoonsglow's Avatar
Registered Users
Formely: Mia**da
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 1,044
My Mood:
Re: Did you have a natural first childbirth?

I did! I went to a birth center though because i really hate hospitals (almost a phobia) and i really did not want anyone trying to tell me i couldn't walk around, had to have an hep lock, or had to have the continuious fetal monitoring. I got to the birth center when i was 9 cm dilated and already feeling the urge to push. (I went through transition FAST lol) But then i pushed for 5 hours! I was fine and so was my daughter but i know that if i was in a hospital then would have forced a cs or pitocin on me because of the time. If i layed down my contractions would stop so i had to be on the birthing stool the entire time, but that felt so much better anyway. But i had no meds and my daughter had a 9/9 apgar score! I loved my birth and the midwives let me do what ever i felt okay doing. I got up and took a shower about 3 hours after giving birth and we left to go home 8 hours after i gave birth. It was great to sleep in my own bed that night.
ofthemoonsglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
gigismomma's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,685
Re: Did you have a natural first childbirth?

My first birth was a natural childbirth. I went into the birth wanting to try doing everything without drugs, but I was willing to accept them if I got to the point where I NEEDED them.

My water broke on my due date and we went to the hospital when contractions started kicking in an hour later. I was 2cm when we arrived, but things progressed quickly. I remember the pain getting unbearable and telling my DH that he needed to find a nurse because I needed some kind of pain relief. When she came to check on me, we discovered I was 9cm (so I was going through transition, the worst of the pain for me). Once I heard that I was already 9cm, there was no way I wanted any meds. But at this point my baby was having severe and prolonged heart decelerations, so we needed to get her out fast. I pushed for a few minutes but her heart rate was not going up at all, so a doctor came in and delivered her with a vacuum (I needed an episiotomy). It wasn't what I wanted, but it was an emergency........she was blue, limp and not breathing and needed resuscitation, so I am happy that they did whatever needed to be done to get her out ASAP. With my next labor I decided to go natural again, it was an easy decision because I KNEW I could do it!
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Registered Users
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Crossville TN
Posts: 98
Re: Did you have a natural first childbirth?

With my first it was spontaneous, but I did get an epidural. I started having noticeable contractions on friday, and she was born monday morning. My SIL had her first natural, no epi. She started laboring after her water broke spontaneously.
Mama2McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Midwife@heart's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,390
My Mood:
I had a vaginal first birth and a natural second. I was the Doula to my friend's first natural birth.
It can be done. My first advice would be to birth out of the hospital and hire a Doula.
Partner to an awesome man.
Mom to two boys (13 and 7) and a little girl that came when she was supposed to despite our plans (June 2013)
Stepmom to two girls, 21 and 6.
Midwife@heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
solarbabies's Avatar
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: beautiful New Mexico
Posts: 6,845
My Mood:
Re: Did you have a natural first childbirth?

I did. Had my dd at my midwifes house and had my son at home with a midwife. Birth went great! I was 3 days past due, in labor for 21 hrs with dd. I did know when I was in active labor and spent almost all of the time at home before going to the midwifes house. Reovrey: I was sore for a few days, maybe a week but then I felt great. No pian meds, no interventions at all, and very very mild tearing that felt like paper cuts.

[CENTER]~Shannon~Mama to Addisyn 6.6.10 and Ryan 1.22.12
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
tuckergirl's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,884
Re: Did you have a natural first childbirth?

Both of mine were natural. My first was a little out of the ordinary - my water broke at 35 weeks, 4 days and by the time we got to the hospital, I was 9cm. They didn't have time to push drugs or anything on me. She was born 2.5 hours after my water broke at home. She was also born in Germany, and my experience was that they were a little less intervention-happy than US hospitals.
Erin ~ in love with my DH, Eric mama to Kaitlyn (June '07),
Alex (April '10) and Logan (February '12)
tuckergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.