Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
mamaspice
Registered Users

How long between feedings is okay?

My daughter, almost 5 mos, is really starting to stretch her feedings out to 3-4 hours.

Other times she'll eat for five minutes and be done. She is still ebf.

Is this okay? She doesn't seem fussier than usual. Night and early morning feedings are still longer.

Is she just getting more efficient, or is this something to be concerned about?

Advertisement

mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
mamaspice
Registered Users

Any thoughts?
Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: How long between feedings is okay?

As long as she still has enough wet/poopy diapers and isn't fussy I wouldn't worry about it. My first child never nursed for longer than 10min at a time and as she got older cut that time even shorter. If it bothers you every 3hours during the day and every 4-5hours during the night is usually plenty. I don't remember when DD started doing this but it was probably at the same age as your little one. FYI poopy diapers can come as far apart as every 10days or as frequently as every feeding in an ebf baby as long as baby isn't uncomfortable and poop isn't solid.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The older your baby gets, they more efficient they become. Some babies prefer to spread out their feedings. Get her weighed if you are worried, but if she is otherwise happy and peeing/pooping normally, she is probably fine.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
tiners17
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Yep! They do get efficent, I agree on that. My 4.5 mo old is the same way sometimes! As long as she is growing ok growth curve wise/wet diaper wise then that is very normal!

Also mine only poops every 3-4 days too so that is not an indicator as other mom said above. Wet diapers are the best indicator. 4-6 wet diaps a day is good to see. Less than that and I would get her weighed just for your own ease
tiners17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

DD switched to every 3/4 hours at about 5 months. And my kids have never taken longer than 10 minutes to eat, and that's in the middle of the night when they are falling back to sleep. Normally it's 5 minutes tops. As long as she's getting enough wet diapers she's fine. She'll let you know if she's hungry.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Hmm... my LO didn't ever go 3-4 hours between feedings (willingly) on a regular basis. Sometimes it would happen, but it was rare. Same with my other friends who EBF. The two moms that I know who had babies who stretched out feedings also weaned by 12 months. I'd say that is kinda a long time for a baby to go without nursing since breastmilk digests in 1-2 hours and that is their only source to stay hydrated at that age. Not saying that all babies are the same - they most certainly aren't - but I'd try to offer to nurse a little more often; maybe 1-2 extra feedings somewhere in there. She won't nurse if she doesn't want to.

I wouldn't worry about how long she nurses for. They do get more efficient with age. My LO would be done in less than 5 minutes unless he was going to sleep or comfort nursing. That's totally normal.

I agree with watching the number of wet diapers. Poop diapers don't tell you as much at this age. Getting a weight check isn't a bad idea, either. If there is a problem (and that's a big IF) then I think its best to nip it in the bud. Its easier to catch "problems" quickly before things get too derailed (not saying they are).

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 02-02-2012 at 07:15 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
tiners17
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I do agree with mama above on the feedings. I probably would just offer after 2.5-3 hours just to see if she is hunger. Maybe you are busy and missing some of the early hunger signs (which are hard to miss when they are pre teething and suckign fists all the time and smacking lips along with it! lol). Usually if I feed DD at 9a by 12noon I just offer to feed her. If I don't she usually lets me know she is hungry very shortly!
tiners17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
mamaspice
Registered Users

Thanks for the advice.. She seems to be regulating a bit more now and having at least some longer feedings. It is mostly only if she is napping that she will go longer than 3 hrs- she used to wake up because she is hungry and now she is holding out longer.

I have been worried that it is something about my milk that is bugging her because she only drinks a little at a time and has been burping more. I'll keep looking for patterns with what I eat I guess.

Diapers seem fairly normal so maybe she is getting out more than I think!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
birds chart
Registered Users
seller

recently I've been wondering the same thing with my dd, also 5 months. She used to barely be able to make it to two hours without milk, it seemed like she was constantly on the breast and then suddenly she started spacing her feedings out more and more. I know she gets enough milk because we still have a ton of laundry to do (lol) but the short time span of her sessions worried me too until I realized the sucking power of that little mouth and the intensity of my let downs (I still sometimes squirt across the room). Another thing I noticed is that her feedings in the middle of the night are longer. It took me a while to notice because most the time I am half asleep.

Anyway, I just offer her the breast every two hours. Lots of times she refuses but she usually takes it by 3.5 hours time

Don't worry! The littles know that they need, they are very wise.
birds chart is offline   Reply With Quote