Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
Re: "But isn't it weird?"

My DS has had exactly 2 bottles his whole life (BM). After 4 months of age he would NOT touch a bottle or paci.

Advertisement

Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Angel89411
Banned

Ds2 is 3 months old and has never had a bottle. I don't pump, either. This shocks ppl. I am also told I need to make him learn to sit in a high chair and such.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
tiners17
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I love you mama's and I love that you are so supportive of one another on this! People who don't understand breastfeeding and the bond it gives you with your baby/toddler do not understand that at all. I support for anyone to nurse as long as they want to without all of teh negative comments, looks, etc. It should be the norm not the opposite!

I have a lot of neighbors with young children and most did not nurse. One lady (who is very nice but just doesn't get it) said to me she felt like she was a cow nursing so she quit right away. A cow nurses just like all other mammals (sp?) so shouldn't we, too? I don't get people really. So should cows drink human milk and cats drink cow milk? Really? Our cultural perceptions are just all messed up!
Tina : mama to two wonderful little girls and starting my new WAHM business, Sweet Little Blossoms! Sweet little flowers for hair, purse, hat/beanie, outfit, where ever you need a flower to brighten your day! Featuring Tessa Ann buttons to match your wool! Customs open here.

My ISO/IHA.
tiners17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

My LO has never taken a bottle. Ever. That shocks the pants off of some people.

He never took a pacifier, either. Well, now he does but its just another "chew toy" when he's teething.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #15
earth*momma
Registered Users
seller

i havent had anyone ask me directly if its weird, but i know that my family doesnt totally approve, my mum thinks(or thought) that going past a year is too long.. but with kathleen being 14 months now and after telling her why i'm wanting to let her wean herself, she's supportive. BUT my grandma is SOOO opinionated, she never even nursed ther kids so she doesnt have the slightest idea.

personally, i feel its much more natural for a 3 year old to still nurse rather than walking around with a paci.. i actually chose not to give one because i feel that they're unnatural and i would rather my babe comfort herself the way that i feel she's supposed to(im not against people who use paci's, to each their own, right? i just personally dont like them) its NORMAL for a newborn to do nothing but sit at their mums boob... whether they're nursing or soothing. i also dont understand why people wean at 6 months.. that makes zero sense to me, especially considering that we arent supposed to give cows milk until a year.. so why bother weaning? 6 months isnt that long to be nursing at all! i wonder sometimes if some mothers just have a hard time making that commitment to their babies..

maybe i'm just not ready to give up that closeness or maybe i'm just going with my instincts, i dont know.. but nursing and extended nursing is a great thing either way.
earth*momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
Smilley
Registered Users
seller

I love hearing so many moms reaffirm not using bottles. I have described the idea as feeling a little like I would, or perhaps him, be cheating on him. No one seems to understand or just thinks I am silly. My husband supports my decision but even he has said he does not understand. Nursing is about much more than just food.
Smilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I think its weird to BF past 18m. Just my opinion but I would NEVER ask someone if they felt it was weird. Obviously you don't because you are doing it! lol
My dad's GF BF my brother till he was 4 and for some reason it always weirded me out. DD1 was 16m old when #2 was born and my milk had dried up while I was prego and when I started feeding #2, I offered the breast to my older one and it felt soooooooooo strange and uncomfortable and not normal. I'm sure I wouldn't have felt that way if she had BF the whole time.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I also find it equally as strange for a toddler to have a pacifier.... I have a friend with an almost 3 year old who still uses a paci and sleeps with her but her 4m old has to sleep in a crib.... That is also bizarre to me.

Edit: My 5m old sleeps in my bed and my 22m old sleeps in her own bed but has since she was 4ish months old because none of us got sleep with her co-sleeping, including her. She was 10x happier and slept much better by herself. Odd, I know.

Last edited by Hum Bums; 02-14-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: addition
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #19
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Your response was perfect
Old 02-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #20
SimplySophisticated
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's not weird to the mama... It's natural. It's weird to others because they feel it is "unnatural". Just excuse their ignorance. They honestly don't know any better. I used to feel that way. I used to see breastfeeding as awkward, and I criticized a friend of mine for doing it. I never attempted to breastfeed my daughter. I did try breastfeeding my son, but I didn't educate myself enough beforehand. Looking back, I don't think I was 100% on board with the idea, or else I would have done my research & been perfectly successful. At the point I am in my life right now... breastfeeding seems like the only option for #3. It is beautiful & sacred and I am ashamed of myself for being so ignorant in the past. I honestly believe the question "But isn't it weird?" is a fear based reaction. What people don't understand, frightens them. If information were more readily available about breastfeeding, cloth diapers, attachment parenting, baby wearing; more people would see it as normal. Imagine a society that takes bottle feeding out of the movies/tv shows all together, and shows mothers breastfeeding their children exclusively. Then it comes time to change a diaper & she uses a goodmama, or a fuzzibunz. They go out for a walk & instead of putting the baby in a stroller, she grabs her ring sling & wears him/her... A girl can dream, can't she? I just think society as a whole is uninformed & rude. That's my

& SAHM in Fort Riley, KS.
Would love to meet some local mamas!!
SimplySophisticated is offline   Reply With Quote