Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,873
My Mood:
From Scratch

What are some convenience or packaged items that you make yourself? Care to share some links or recipes?

We are working towards cleaner eating with whole foods. I made granola for the first time this week, it was pretty good but I wish it was crispier. I also made DIY powdered ranch "packet" and it was pretty close to the name brand.

Advertisement

__________________
Just in case.
MDever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
qsefthuko's Avatar
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 16,756
Re: From Scratch

Taco seasoning- we use this recipe and adjust according to tastes and needs. My husband is allergic to onions so we skip that. I also skip the salt as I already salt my food to taste. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Se...10=1&e7=Recipe

Cream of soups. I make a traditional white sauce and turn it into whatever cream of soup I need for my recipes.
__________________
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
munchkinflame13's Avatar
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,580
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever
What are some convenience or packaged items that you make yourself? Care to share some links or recipes?

We are working towards cleaner eating with whole foods. I made granola for the first time this week, it was pretty good but I wish it was crispier. I also made DIY powdered ranch "packet" and it was pretty close to the name brand.
Will you share your ranch packet recipe?
__________________
Christina, Jesus-loving, happily married wifey to E and mommy to 4 in my arms and 2 in Jesus' arms
I can knit or crochet anything. I'm a one woman knit and knot shop Check out my DS FSOT thread and my blog if you'd like to see pics of my past creations.
munchkinflame13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,450
Google NY Times olive oil granola and try that. You can use 5 cups of oats instead of the 3 it calls for. Megan's Granola on Allrecipes is another good one.

What do you eat now that you're looking to replace? Granola bars? Applesauce? Yogurt? Nut butters? ...
__________________
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,873
My Mood:
Re: From Scratch

This is the ranch I made. It definitely needs to sit in the fridge a bit but after the flavors meld I think it is pretty darn close. The powdered buttermilk is readily available in the baking aisle of the supermarket.

http://www.food.com/recipe/ranch-dre...ning-mix-47249
__________________
Just in case.
MDever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
munchkinflame13's Avatar
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,580
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever
This is the ranch I made. It definitely needs to sit in the fridge a bit but after the flavors meld I think it is pretty darn close. The powdered buttermilk is readily available in the baking aisle of the supermarket.

http://www.food.com/recipe/ranch-dre...ning-mix-47249
The spice mix needs to sit in the fridge to meld or the prepared ranch needs to? I'll probably try this with Greek yogurt in place of the mayo. I've been replacing mayo and sour cream with Greek yogurt to add more probiotics to our diet.
__________________
Christina, Jesus-loving, happily married wifey to E and mommy to 4 in my arms and 2 in Jesus' arms
I can knit or crochet anything. I'm a one woman knit and knot shop Check out my DS FSOT thread and my blog if you'd like to see pics of my past creations.
munchkinflame13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
3 ladybugs's Avatar
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,768
My Mood:
Re: From Scratch

There are a few e-books on this. Better then the Box by Kitchen Stewardship comes to mind but there is others.http://nourishingjoy.com/restocking-the-pantry/ This is another one.
__________________
Jennifer (37) - Wife since 12/2003 with 5 children - 3 waiting for me in heaven , and 2 delighting me everyday ! Lymphoma survivor and mother to baby born post pelvic radiation!
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,873
My Mood:
Re: From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkinflame13 View Post
The spice mix needs to sit in the fridge to meld or the prepared ranch needs to? I'll probably try this with Greek yogurt in place of the mayo. I've been replacing mayo and sour cream with Greek yogurt to add more probiotics to our diet.
Oops sorry yes after you mix it with the wet ingredients. I used mayo and replaced 1/2 the sour cream w/ plain greek yogurt. I'm trying to wean us off
__________________
Just in case.
MDever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,873
My Mood:
Re: From Scratch

I am pretty happy with how things have been going. One step at a time right? I am hoping that I will be able to lose some weight and feel better. My next step is to work on switching over my bread baking to whole grain. Where we live finding whole grain products is not easy and they are so $$$. I would really like to find a whole grain sandwich bread recipe for the oven. Do you all have bread makers? Should I think of getting one?
__________________
Just in case.
MDever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
hbee's Avatar
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 5,997
Re: From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
I am pretty happy with how things have been going. One step at a time right? I am hoping that I will be able to lose some weight and feel better. My next step is to work on switching over my bread baking to whole grain. Where we live finding whole grain products is not easy and they are so $$$. I would really like to find a whole grain sandwich bread recipe for the oven. Do you all have bread makers? Should I think of getting one?
I say no to the bread maker. A dutch oven or la clouche is way more useful. Also, I still can't do all whole grain. I can do about up to half before thinking it's too heavy. Even if I use white whole wheat. Guess I need to work on that more.

I would encourage you to check out a copy of "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" or something similar. Here is something from there, but there is a ton.

This is a pretty okay half whole wheat bread.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.