Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #21
catilina's Avatar
catilina
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Beautiful Oregon!
Posts: 1,067
Re: WAP, Nourishing Traditions, GAPS Support thread, February 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
Ok, stupid newbie question: What is Ghee and how do you make it (if your way is different from the way NT tells you to do it)? Is it a glorified name for butter? Like Rapadura is a glorified name for unprocessed and raw cane sugar?

I went to look at buying ghee from azure, and a tiny yellow jar of it (7.5 oz) is $12! It seems like every main dish recipe in NT calls for it.
Ghee is a type of clarified butter - but not all clarified butter is ghee! It's clarified butter, taken a step further. In making clarified butter, some of the moisture is cooked off. In making ghee, ALL of the water (and impurities) is removed from the butter, leaving a pure oil. Ghee does not contain ANY milk solids. It has a buttery + nutty (read, yummy!) flavor and is easier to digest than butter, especially for people who have dairy sensitivities.

Ghee is really expensive to buy, but can also be really expensive to make, since you are basically taking high-quality butter (grass-fed ideally) and reducing it... If you are dairy-sensitive, it is definitely worth it. Otherwise, you can likely use butter or coconut oil in most of the recipes if you don't want to spend the money on ghee, and save the ghee for times when the flavor difference will really be noticeable (I make ghee and we like it spread on bread or in Indian cooking, but most of my foods I make with either butter or coconut oil. I save the ghee!).

I usually refer to these two websites when making my ghee:
http://vegeyum.wordpress.com/2007/09/16/ghee/
http://www.aayisrecipes.com/2007/05/...-to-make-ghee/

Advertisement

__________________
cat
mommy to one hilarious preschooler boy (09.06)
and one cuddly toddler girl (05.09)!

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 930
My Mood:
Re: WAP, Nourishing Traditions, GAPS Support thread, February 2012

What a beautiful explanation! Thank you!
__________________
Wife to DH since 1/07, Mom to DD1 4/10 , DD2 5/11 , and our newbie DD3 9/13

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #23
TPLmommy's Avatar
TPLmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalom
Ok, stupid newbie question: What is Ghee and how do you make it (if your way is different from the way NT tells you to do it)? Is it a glorified name for butter? Like Rapadura is a glorified name for unprocessed and raw cane sugar?

I went to look at buying ghee from azure, and a tiny yellow jar of it (7.5 oz) is $12! It seems like every main dish recipe in NT calls for it.
Amazon sometimes has it for a little cheaper than Azure. Especially if you have free prime shipping.
TPLmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #24
Hannah Elise's Avatar
Hannah Elise
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CNY
Posts: 856
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by catilina
Ghee is really expensive to buy, but can also be really expensive to make, since you are basically taking high-quality butter (grass-fed ideally) and reducing it... If you are dairy-sensitive, it is definitely worth it. Otherwise, you can likely use butter or coconut oil in most of the recipes if you don't want to spend the money on ghee, and save the ghee for times when the flavor difference will really be noticeable (I make ghee and we like it spread on bread or in Indian cooking, but most of my foods I make with either butter or coconut oil. I save the ghee!).
Thank you for this explanation! No dairy sensitivities in our family, so this will go a long way in our budget as I try to switch us over to a more NT diet. We buy "regular" butter now as it is... and even then I watch for sales for when it goes down to 2.99 (or 2.25 if my mother is making a trip to BJ's). I can't imagine paying the price for the pastured stuff at our local health food store. Maybe someday. I have started doing some cooking with coconut oil, too, but I've found that some things (like omelettes) just taste waaay better with butter.

I did, however, like the flavor that the coconut oil imparted when I used it to saute some spinach, garlic, and onion. A-YUM.

Sent from my Samsung Intercept using DS Forum
__________________
Hannah Elise, procrastinator extraordinaire
Wife to Spencer (5.29.10), momma to Asher (3.19.11) & Benjamin (12.20.13)
Mud-lovin', trail-ridin', book-readin', goat-raisin' country girl
ISO: interlock, M/XL GMD workhorse IHA: Fleece soakers, wool shorties, prefolds
Hannah Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
Green Decals's Avatar
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,934
My Mood:
Re: WAP, Nourishing Traditions, GAPS Support thread, February 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by catilina View Post
I haven't had time to read through all the posts on this month's thread yet, but I have a quick question! Anyone have any experience making your own whey from raw cow milk? I've had my milk sitting in the cupboard for about 4 days (3 days with the lid on, and 1 day with it unscrewed but covered loosely, because I couldn't find a clear answer on how to cover it!), but I'm not sure how to tell when it's ready to be strained... The cream is definitely thick but it doesn't really look curdled yet. Do I just keep waiting???
I just did this, as in just today. I set my milk out on Friday (raw, slightly soured milk) so it took 4 days. Finally this morning when we woke up it had separated. Now I have a quart of whey and some delicious strawberry cream cheese (curds, strawberries, maple syrup) and I finally started fermenting my salsa (tomatoes, garlic, onions, cilantro, salt, whey).

Last night I saw some little white pearles in the milk, but didn't think it was quite done yet. This morning it was. We left it covered.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #26
catilina's Avatar
catilina
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Beautiful Oregon!
Posts: 1,067
Re: WAP, Nourishing Traditions, GAPS Support thread, February 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
I just did this, as in just today. I set my milk out on Friday (raw, slightly soured milk) so it took 4 days. Finally this morning when we woke up it had separated. Now I have a quart of whey and some delicious strawberry cream cheese (curds, strawberries, maple syrup) and I finally started fermenting my salsa (tomatoes, garlic, onions, cilantro, salt, whey).

Last night I saw some little white pearles in the milk, but didn't think it was quite done yet. This morning it was. We left it covered.
Okay, well I must have done something wrong, because I strained mine yesterday and it smells TERRIBLE. I've never done it before but I just can't imagine it can be right. There's no way I can use it. I almost threw up when I was pouring it. My raw milk was fresh, not sour at all, but I guess I must have waited too long and let it sour too much? Because it smelled SO rancid. I am almost sick in my stomach at the thought of almost a half-gallon of wasted raw milk (and money!)! And I had planned to make ketchup and salsa today (my kids have been begging for ketchup to eat with their scrambled eggs all week!). I guess I need to get myself to the store and pick up some yogurt and just get the whey that way...
__________________
cat
mommy to one hilarious preschooler boy (09.06)
and one cuddly toddler girl (05.09)!

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #27
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 930
My Mood:
Re: WAP, Nourishing Traditions, GAPS Support thread, February 2012

green decals- Are you supposed to cover it with a towel, or cover it air-tight? And you just sit it out for a few days and it works? It seems too easy to be true :-)

catilina- so sorry it didn't turn out :-( This makes me really leary to try it since raw milk, here, is so expensive.
__________________
Wife to DH since 1/07, Mom to DD1 4/10 , DD2 5/11 , and our newbie DD3 9/13

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #28
Green Decals's Avatar
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,934
My Mood:
Re: WAP, Nourishing Traditions, GAPS Support thread, February 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
green decals- Are you supposed to cover it with a towel, or cover it air-tight? And you just sit it out for a few days and it works? It seems too easy to be true :-)

catilina- so sorry it didn't turn out :-( This makes me really leary to try it since raw milk, here, is so expensive.
Yes, let it sit out on its side so that it is exposed to as much air in the jug as possible. Don't use a whole gallon or you will have way too much whey. I did just under half a gallon, and I have a quart of whey. Keep the cap on the milk bottle, and make sure it is in a warm (but not too warm!) place.

Catalina - it smells soured, but the cream cheese tastes great (real, with cheesy milk flavor, not the bland, flavorless crap you buy in the store) and the whey has almost a banana smell to it after sitting in the fridge for a day or so. I made fermented salsa with it, and did the kids porridge with it (soaked the oats overnight in whey and warm water) and it is delicious. Part of eating real foods is the super pungent flavors that come with them... Store bought crap is flavorless!

Here is a good video on how to make cream cheese/curds and whey.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #29
Murphett's Avatar
Murphett
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 211
My Mood:
So the whey in store bought yogurt is the liquid part that is sitting on top, right? Is there a particular brand people recommend? Also, is it ok to soak grains, seeds and beans in distilled water, or should it be just filtered water? I am embarking on fermented foods and soaking everything now :-) It is all new to me.
__________________
Homebirthing, SAHM to two DD's Baby Wearing, Cloth Diapering , Crunchy, Christian , Conservative USMC wifey to the love of my life
Murphett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #30
Hopetobe
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphett
So the whey in store bought yogurt is the liquid part that is sitting on top, right? Is there a particular brand people recommend? Also, is it ok to soak grains, seeds and beans in distilled water, or should it be just filtered water? I am embarking on fermented foods and soaking everything now :-) It is all new to me.
Yes, I believe the whey is the clearish liquid on top, but I think you may need to filter it all through cheese cloth or something to make sure no little solid pieces are in the whey. Are you using just water for soaking? I don't think it would matter much distilled vs. filtered, but distilled wouldn't have chlorine and flouride, so maybe it would be better (depending on the filtered water quality)? I'm new at this stuff too, and have only just begun soaking some things so far, but from my reading, I think it's preferable to soak beans with water and baking soda, and grains with water and something acidic like vinegar/lemon juice, or you can do whey. But, others probably know a lot more than me.
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.