Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #31
TPLmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopetobe

Yes, I believe the whey is the clearish liquid on top, but I think you may need to filter it all through cheese cloth or something to make sure no little solid pieces are in the whey. Are you using just water for soaking? I don't think it would matter much distilled vs. filtered, but distilled wouldn't have chlorine and flouride, so maybe it would be better (depending on the filtered water quality)? I'm new at this stuff too, and have only just begun soaking some things so far, but from my reading, I think it's preferable to soak beans with water and baking soda, and grains with water and something acidic like vinegar/lemon juice, or you can do whey. But, others probably know a lot more than me.
I've never heard of soaking beans with baking soda. Nourishing Traditions says to soak with warm water (I don't think it matters if it's distiller or filtered, but she does say filtered) & whey or lemon juice, but for black beans only. The other beans just need warm water.

She does recommend soaking grains with warm filtered water & something acidic, like you mentioned, vinegar, lemon juice, whey, kefir, buttermilk, sour raw milk, yogurt, etc. If your recipe already includes the dairy though, like buttermilk in pancakes, for example, you skip the warm water & just soak in the buttermilk.

HTH!

Advertisement

TPLmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #32
mamaspice
Registered Users

Can I join your support thread? I am a big believer of WAP principles but need to work on actually cooking and eating well!
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #33
Hannah Elise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Le sigh.

Inadvertently fell off the GF wagon...

Dh and I went to a local high school production of The Sound of Music on Friday night, and usually if we go out to a movie or an event like this, we'll "treat" ourselves to a candy snack. We're not big consumers of sugary foodstuffs (well, except ice cream) in our house, because... if I have it in the house, I'll eat it. All of it. I'm terrible. Thus, since we were going out, I grabbed us snacksat Walmart. Dh got Skittles, his favorite, and I stood there debating, trying to find something that was both lacking in gluten AND not made by a Nestle affiliate (which Nerds are... very sad) because I have qualms over a company that they use to research... and I could have SWORN I read each label... but apparently I didn't. I spotted the Twizzlers last, and just... must have been in a hurry.

Because I bought them.

Ate some at the production.

Ate the rest over the course of Saturday and yesterday.

And had a headache all. Day. Yesterday.

Now, I knew - and always seem to forget until I eat them again - that Twizzlers give me a headache. I'm used to migraines, so the "low-grade" headache they give me... doesn't seem as severe? :-P

But I always thought it had something t do with the dye. So today I googled "can twizzlers cause headache" because I wondered if anyone else had this problem. Lo and behold a Wheat Belly post shows up in the results. Hidden gluten. Enriched wheat flour is the #2 ingredient.

So I went and dug the empty package out of the garbage, and lo and behold... yup. There it is.

Le sigh. I feel very silly. And annoyed. And guilty, because I've been doing more reading about non-celiac gluten intolerance. Since my celiac panel came back negative, I was thinking that maybe it was just the high level of phytic acid I was consuming from UNSOAKED whole grains, not the gluten itself.

So. I bought some Ezekiel cereal. Yeah, that did NOT agree with my lower digestive system.

And I had the Twizzlers. Headache.

So maybe it is the gluten. *sigh* I was hoping it could just be a soaking issue.

With the additional non-celiac gluten intolerance reading I've been doing, I'm beginning to think I am affecting my son, because antibodies are passed through breast milk.. and if my body is producong those antibodies, I'm aggravating HIS system when I eat gluten, too. Hence guilty feeling.

'Cause I see a LOT of undigested food in his stools... and he has VERY loose stools. Often. And he's a bottomless pit, which makes me question it even more, because.... that's me. I eat and eat and I -don't absorb-. And I'm doing that to my son. And it scares me.

*sigh* I just feel very overwhelmed right now... so sorry for rambling on.. and on.. and on... but I needed to get it off my chest and this seemed like the best place to do so.

Sent from my Samsung Intercept using DS Forum
ISO: interlock, M/XL GMD workhorse IHA: Fleece soakers, wool shorties, prefolds
Hannah Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #34
Hopetobe
Registered Users

Ahh, hugs Hannah Elise! Guilt and stressing over it now won't do any good, so just baby step your way back to eating good food
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #35
Hopetobe
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspice
Can I join your support thread? I am a big believer of WAP principles but need to work on actually cooking and eating well!
Sure! I'm kinda in the same boat, just trying to slowly incorporate traditional foods into our life
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #36
mamaspice
Registered Users

Tell me more about this "bottomless pit"... You mean you are starving all of the time even after you just ate? Because this is totally me! Do you think it is a symptom of a food sensitivity, or just not enough good nutrients (or not absorbing them)?

I am already off of gluten... And eggs, and cow whey protein. But we eat out a lot so I think I get a lot a of trace amounts of things inadvertently.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #37
Hannah Elise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Tell me more about this "bottomless pit"... You mean you are starving all of the time even after you just ate? Because this is totally me! Do you think it is a symptom of a food sensitivity, or just not enough good nutrients (or not absorbing them)?

I am already off of gluten... And eggs, and cow whey protein. But we eat out a lot so I think I get a lot a of trace amounts of things inadvertently.
Well, basically... I've always been a "snacker" - my mother at one point was told by her doctor that she was "borderline hypoglycemic" - she would get shaky and/or headaches if she didn't eat often enough, etc. I never went to a doctor for that, but I was very similar in my teen years up til recently, only unlike my mother, who at 40 started gaining weight, I didn't put on weight. I just figured I had a high metabolism, because the only way I ever put on weight was when I was "in shape". When I lost muscle tone, I would lose weight instead of gaining.

After ds was born, I went through drastic weight loss - I dropped below my pre-preg 112 lb, despite eating far more calories than my 6'3" 175 lb. Sure, I was breastfeeding, but after a while - and realizing that I was below 100 lb (which I hadn't been since middle school), I went to get my thyroid checked. Also, my iron, as I had a short-term iron supplement after ds' birth due to a tear that bled a lot before they could find it and stitch it up. Thyroid came back "normal", and iron was a little low. Eat more green leafy veggies, my doctor said.

Went to a naturopathic doctor for a 2nd opinion. She said there's no way I should be losing that much weight, eating that many calories, even breastfeeding. (I was so scared someone was going to say I should stop bfing my son.) She looked at the blood panel and pointed out that while my BUN was technically in "normal" range according to the lab, it was only about half what it should be for the amount of protein I was consuming, as low BUN generally means you're not eating enough protein, and my food diary showed that I was.

She said that if you're not absorbing protein, it prevents your body from absorbing a bunch o other nutrients as well, and that I was basically malnourished - and was incredulous that I had never been tested for celiac. I told her that I've always had a high metabolism, always been hungry - but that it just went into OVERDRIVE after having my son. She looked at me point blank and said, "It's not that you have a high metabolism. You just probably haven't been absorbing nutrients." D'oh.

Now, she said that it could be celiac or gluten intolerance... and that she would be really surprised if the test came back negative... well, the celiac panel was negative, but I am beginning to think (like I said in my previous post) that I likely do have the non-celiac gluten intolerance, from the way my body has been responding to things.

Aside from the whole "get off gluten" aspect here is how my ND addressed the malnutrition/malabsoprtion issue:

She put me on a probiotic, 1/2 tsp daily of HMF, as we also felt I had some candida issues.

I take 2 Tbs. aloe vera gel during dinner, which I guess helps soothe and heal the digestive tract?

With the aloe vera gel (she didn't want me starting this supplement until I could buy some, actually, because of the aloe's soothing effect) I also take Metagest, which is an Hcl supplement. I guess a lot of the symptoms of LOW stomach acid and HIGH stomach acid are actually the same. She said a lot of people think "oooh, stomach acid = bad" but that a lot of people are actually LOW, which means that your stomach is not even breaking down the food as much as it should before it hits the itnestines, so you're absorbing less there on top of any other issues you may have (such as celiac).

She didn't give me a set amount of Hcl to take, but an "Hcl Challenge Test" - I took 1 with first dinner. Two at second dinner. Three at third. Four at fourth. You're not supposed to go over four - but basically, had I experienced any symptoms of heartburn, pressure, etc, I was supposed to back down one "level" and take that. So, had I experiencedheartburn at two tablets, I should've taken one with every dinner.

Well, I didn't even get a reaction at four. I did some Googling on Hcl Challenge Test and it listed out what a "reaction" at each level means.. basically if you react at one, your levels are premuch fine. If you donteven react at four (such as myself), you're pretty deficient in it.

The website I read said that over time it should help the body to create more of its own and that I'll be able to slowly "back off" and hopefully not need to take any someday.

Sooo... aside from probably having gluten issues, I had (have, actually, since I started this regimen only this past month) absorption issues... and this was all compounding the issue. And Metagest isn't straight Hcl, I guess.. also has some other digestive enzymes that help to break down protein for the body. I don't have the bottle in front of me so I don't recall which ones.

So, obviously I'm no doctor, and am still trying to figure this out fo myself... but maybe that would be worth looking into for you? I know that I've noticed when I'm "off" gluten and I remember to take my Hcl, I definitely feel fuller... don't feel like I'm hungry again five minutes after dinner, ye ken?

I think the company that makes Metagest is like, Metagenics or something along those lines? And the aloe vera gel I just got at my local health food store. I'm sure you could get it cheaper off Amazon.

I'm also looking into getting myself on a cod liver oil supplement and a better-quality, food-based multivitamin such as Garden of Life, to try to boost my nutrients, as if I haven't been absorbing... well, yeah. I'm sure I could use it! I love the idea that our nutrition should come from our diet and we shouldn't "need" multivitamins butj at the same time... a) our modern foods tend to be deficient because our soil is so depleted and b) I think right now I might need more than diet can give me, just to get back to a healthy level?

Anyway, just my ramblings. Hope that helps?

Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #38
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Re: WAP, Nourishing Traditions, GAPS Support thread, February 2012

I was a bottomless pit too! Insane amounts of food went into my tiny body, so discouraging that it nearly all came back out without nourishing me. I have been taking HCl too, I take more than is generally recommended, because I can't feel it either. I also take a general digestive enzyme with each meal, Digest Gold by Enzymedica is the one I use. Between those two things, my appetite is literally 1/4 - 1/3 of what it used to be. I highly recommend giving enzymes a try, they are expensive but literally cut my food bill about in half.
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #39
mamaspice
Registered Users

Wow, that is a lot to think about!

Has anyone tried acv before meals to help with absorption? My np had suggested this but I had forgotten about it.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #40
Hannah Elise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Wow, that is a lot to think about!

Has anyone tried acv before meals to help with absorption? My np had suggested this but I had forgotten about it.
I have heard of a home remedy, mixing 1 Tb honey and 1 Tb ACV in a glass of warm water, for when you have a cold... but have never heard of ACV for digestion.

Eta: but then again, I've never heard of a lot of things, hehe. And there are so many ways to use ACV.. maybe try doing some digging on Google, and see if you can find any mention of it?

Last edited by Hannah Elise; 02-13-2012 at 09:16 PM.