Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #41
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: WAP, Nourishing Traditions, GAPS Support thread, February 2012

I've heard of drinking a little ACV for pregnancy nausia (morning sickness).....but it made me throw up even harder! Yuck!!

ETA: It makes my hair so nice and soft, though!

Advertisement

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #42
bethanyb
Registered Users
seller

I've been gradually trying to switch to a more nourishing diet for my family. I'm wondering if some of you with more experience can help me out with a couple of questions.

How much broth should I get from a chicken carcass? I usually add enough water to cover the carcass plus a couple of inches and I really only get maybe 6 cups of broth from it.

What kinds of vegetables do you ferment & will your kids eat them? I've tried a few recipes from nourshing traditions, but I'm the only one eating them.

Thanks!
bethanyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #43
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

bethanyb~ I can get more than double that in my large crockpot. Do you have a large crockpot? Here's what I do...I put the whole chicken in the crockpot in about 4 cups of water and leave it in about 6-8 hours on low. Then take the chicken out and cool for a bit. Then take all of the meat off and throw all of the bones/skin back in the crockpot and add an onion, garlic, 3-4TBS raw ACV and sometimes celery along with filling up almost to the top of the crockpot with water. I let this cook all night while we sleep and well into the next day adding water as necessary back up to the top. In the afternoon I add a bay leaf, salt, pepper and cook for one hour more and then strain and put the nice yummy stock into 1/2gal mason jars. Usually I get a more than two jars completely full. This sounds like alot of work but it is really hardly noticable now that I have a routine down
As for the fermented veggies, we have tried some and usually I am the only one who will eat them. It is a slow process. I just keep offering them on their plates and request that they try two bites. I'm hoping they will eventually start liking them, lol. Hubby's not big on any sort of fermented, vinegar, or mustard flavors. They are just to strong for him but he is trying just like the kids I think it is easier for me because I love those types of flavors already. I haven't tried any recipes from NT but all of mine come from GNOWFGLINS. I find her classes really easy to follow and her recipes are well worth the money to us.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #44
mamaspice
Registered Users

Mmmmm. I'm doing that.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #45
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Did anyone download the free soaked grain recipe/instruction book from kitchen stewardship entitled "is your flour wet?" For the life of me, I cannot download it and wondered if anyone wouldn't mind PM me for my email address (I don't feel comfortable posting it) and emailing it to me as an attachment? Please? Thanks so much!

ETA: Was able to finally get it on my own.

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.

Last edited by Shalom; 02-17-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #46
catilina
Registered Users
seller

I probably usually get about 16 cups from a chicken carcass, as well (and more if the bones are still holding up enough to go for another round in the crockpot!). I usually hammer the (already roasted) bones to expose the marrow and then soak them in a few tablespoons of ACV for about an hour before throwing them in the crockpot with all the chicken skin and fat/cartilage, along with a few veggie scraps (usually celery, onion, garlic, and whatever else I have. I save some of my veggie scraps in a big bag in the freezer. Last time I think I also added some asparagus ends and a bit of cilantro or parsley and some green onion tips), toss in a couple bay leaves, cover with water, and cook on high until it starts to simmer (about an hour), then turn it down to low and cook it until I have time to/remember to strain it (but at least 24-48 hours). I add water whenever it cooks down below the top of the carcass, but I try not to add any additional water in the last few hours of cooking. I strain the bone broth into glass jars (I use pint-size so they are about equal to one can of chicken broth) and then sometimes, when I use freshly-butchered pastured chickens, my bones are still hard enough that I go through the whole process again! I cook them until they crumble when I press on them, strain the broth again, and then give all the scraps to my dog! I was in a pinch yesterday and needed some stock but didn't have any defrosted so I had to open a can of chicken broth, and I couldn't believe the difference in color and taste between the canned stuff and my homemade stuff. It's been so long since I've used canned broth that I had forgotten just how pale and flavorless it is!

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #47
catilina
Registered Users
seller

As an update to my whey-making from raw milk, I got scared and tossed the "sour cream" (well, I actually fed it to my dog), but the whey is still in my fridge. I didn't turn my jar onto its side when I was letting the milk sit, and I think consequently it took so long to sour (it was really fresh when I started) that it molded a little bit (it's wet and warm in my kitchen...), so I was scared to use the cream. Do you think the whey is okay? It was totally separated and I strained the whey (of course), but do you think it was contaminated too? After sitting in the fridge for a day or two the smell of both the whey and the cream was much less foul (almost no distinguishable smell). Do you think it's safe? I hate to toss it out if it's good but also hate to risk using it to make anything in case it's bad... I've just *never* cooked with whey before so I don't know how it's supposed to smell/taste???

I have a bit of whey dripping right now from some yogurt, but the yogurt definitely doesn't produce as much whey as the milk, so it would be nice to use the pint+ that I have sitting in the fridge as well...

Help!

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #48
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catilina View Post
I probably usually get about 16 cups from a chicken carcass, as well (and more if the bones are still holding up enough to go for another round in the crockpot!). I usually hammer the (already roasted) bones to expose the marrow and then soak them in a few tablespoons of ACV for about an hour before throwing them in the crockpot with all the chicken skin and fat/cartilage, along with a few veggie scraps (usually celery, onion, garlic, and whatever else I have. I save some of my veggie scraps in a big bag in the freezer. Last time I think I also added some asparagus ends and a bit of cilantro or parsley and some green onion tips), toss in a couple bay leaves, cover with water, and cook on high until it starts to simmer (about an hour), then turn it down to low and cook it until I have time to/remember to strain it (but at least 24-48 hours). I add water whenever it cooks down below the top of the carcass, but I try not to add any additional water in the last few hours of cooking. I strain the bone broth into glass jars (I use pint-size so they are about equal to one can of chicken broth) and then sometimes, when I use freshly-butchered pastured chickens, my bones are still hard enough that I go through the whole process again! I cook them until they crumble when I press on them, strain the broth again, and then give all the scraps to my dog! I was in a pinch yesterday and needed some stock but didn't have any defrosted so I had to open a can of chicken broth, and I couldn't believe the difference in color and taste between the canned stuff and my homemade stuff. It's been so long since I've used canned broth that I had forgotten just how pale and flavorless it is!
I never thought off using cilantro! What a wonderful idea! I always seem to have cilantro that ends up going bad. Next time I will just toss it in the broth Thanks for the idea!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #49
bethanyb
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for the tips on broth. I'll definitely be trying them out.
bethanyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #50
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok Ladies, I know you can help me I am needing a couple of gluten free recipes as my MIL is going to be staying with us this weekend and she is gluten free. I need 2 dinners, 1 lunch and 2 breakfasts. Do you have any no fail, super yummy recipes for the dinners and some ideas for lunch and breakfast? I asked here because I also need them to follow the TF/NT methods for our family Thank you!