Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Advice for my ANTI-bottle baby...

DS is almost 11 months, ebf, and I can count on my 2 hands how many bottles he's taken....

The last time DH tried to give him a bottle, he put up a huuuuge fight, and DH had to call me to come home early...

My mom is the only one who has ever been able to get him to take a bottle, but he has fought it every time....

This coming weekend, I'll be going out of town for my best friend's baby shower... I'll be staying with my SIL, who lives 45 mins away from the shower, so she'll be babysitting for me during the shower... DS will be with her long enough for one feeding....

I've never invested in "faster" bottle nipples since he's never taken bottles except for the occassional bottle from my mom... So, will he do better if I get a faster nipple?? Should I see if he'll take the breast milk from a sippy?? Should I just not worry about it, and let him take the bottle with the slow nipple? I have warned SIL that he's going to fight her, and she's ok with it, I just want to make it easier on both of them....

What would you do?

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA!
hippiemommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Ceebies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you tried a straw cup? Like yours, my LO would only take the occasional bottle. I never introduced a sippy because I figured we would have to wean her off it later so we went straight to a straw cup at 10 months. It only took her one day to get the hang of it. She dribbled quite a bit in the beginning because the flow is faster than she was used to. But the natural sucking action needed to extract the liquid made it an easier than expected transition for her.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Ceebies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

How long will you be gone? At 11 mo he should be able to go without and then when you are back he will drain you!

This was our experience with dd. i worked two nights a week and unfortunately she would have to wait for me about 6/7 hours past 8 mo. Before then she had to be taken to me to feed at work. Not ideal but we got through it.

Gl!!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Ebeuchat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
See if he'll drink from a sippy cup. DD was a no bottle baby but took my pumped milk from a sippy starting at 5 mo!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advice for my ANTI-bottle baby...

Cup feeding might work, or a sippy cup. If he hasn't started on a sippy yet it might be worth a shot, my DD was anti bottle and it was around 10/11 months that she would take a sippy cup with breastmilk in it.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Amy_27
Registered Users

My Mood:

My dd was this way and a cup with a lid and straw worked well. We never did sippys and she learned how to use the straw within a couple tries.
Amy_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemilyon View Post
How long will you be gone? At 11 mo he should be able to go without and then when you are back he will drain you!

This was our experience with dd. i worked two nights a week and unfortunately she would have to wait for me about 6/7 hours past 8 mo. Before then she had to be taken to me to feed at work. Not ideal but we got through it.

Gl!!
I'll only be away from him for 4 or 5 hours.... But he's still nursing every 2 hours during the day....

Should I just try to have her make him wait???

My ISO/IHA!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think u could leave some milk and a bottle and cup but if he is resistant i would just tell her not to force it.
Will he eat solids at all?
Old 02-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #9
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemilyon View Post
I think u could leave some milk and a bottle and cup but if he is resistant i would just tell her not to force it.
Will he eat solids at all?
No...

I've introduced a few things but he has shown absolutely no interest so I haven't been pushing him..

My ISO/IHA!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #10
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommie

No...

I've introduced a few things but he has shown absolutely no interest so I haven't been pushing him..
Nothing wrong with that imo!! My dr says for the first 20 mo they should drink mainly bm.