Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
nicolejshannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Website for pro breastfeeding pediatricians?

Is there a website that keeps a list of pro breastfeeding pediatricians by state? My daughter's dr is not super knowledgeable about breastfeeding (outside of the normal info). I was able to get a prescription for domperidone from her, but only a two week one and she doesn't want to refill it because her colleagues say that is how it should be prescribed. I'd like to find a dr who is very supportive of breastfeeding who can help me out in the future without having to interview tons of drs. Thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Not sure about a website, but if you have a local LC or LLL you could call and ask for a recomendation. I am not sure many pedis are really BFinf experts, but many support BFing and know to contact and trust LCs opinion and help when BFing issues arise. When I interviewed my DDs pedi while I was pregnant, he told me his wife BF their twins until age 2 and recomended the best LC in town by name I knew he was the right one for our family! He also always commented on how cool DDs CDs were
Old 02-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Website for pro breastfeeding pediatricians?

LLL Cannot hand out ped recs. And most peds would claim to be bf friendly/supportive, but we know that isn't always true. You don't need a script for dom though. Perhaps you could get a rec through the "area" forum?
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You need meds for you - not your LO - you should be seeing your ob/gyn or mw. Peds know the baby end of the deal and I wouldn't be surprised that s/he doesn't know much about dom or milk supply, it's not their specialty.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
nicolejshannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981
You need meds for you - not your LO - you should be seeing your ob/gyn or mw. Peds know the baby end of the deal and I wouldn't be surprised that s/he doesn't know much about dom or milk supply, it's not their specialty.
That's a good point. I didn't think about that since they prescribed it in the first place.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Glad that didn't come across wrong - I was in a hurry and wanted to reply asap
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #7
nicolejshannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibeca
LLL Cannot hand out ped recs. And most peds would claim to be bf friendly/supportive, but we know that isn't always true. You don't need a script for dom though. Perhaps you could get a rec through the "area" forum?
Unfortunately my pharmacy won't fill it without one, but I may just look into buying from in house pharmacy next time to avoid the stress. My dd lost 2 oz in 4 days while I was off of it. Luckily after some talking, I was able to get a refill. Like a pp said though, I may just have to talk to my OB.
I'll try the area forum. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I prefer Family Dr.'s for this very reason. They may not necessarily be up on all the available data, BUT, they are usually more capable of working with both mom and baby.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
nicolejshannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981
I finally talked to my OB and she won't prescribe it. wonder if I should order online. I have enough to last me two more weeks but then it's gone. I'm a little nervous about ordering pills online though. I guess it's that or formula
Old 02-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
PinkLemonade7503
Registered Users
seller

I thought you could only get it at a compounding pharmacy? I tried to take it with my adopted dd, but it was too hard to get, so I used something else. My lactation consultant at our hospital told me where I could get it, in and out of the country.
PinkLemonade7503 is offline   Reply With Quote