Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Ebeuchat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Simplicity Parenting

Hello! I've been lurking for a long time and trying to figure out how to start the great purge of my house and took the recommendation from an older thread about reading Simplicity Parenting. My question is this: for those of you who implemented the suggestions in the book, what did you do and how did it impact your kids/family? I can't wait to get started!

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Simplicity Parenting

We didn't do everything in the book, but we did address the kids play area and toys. They loved it! They didn't miss a thing that we got rid of, but rather were so excited to "see" all their toys. They got right to playing! When there were fewer items, they could easily find/see/use them. When we first started they were too little to help. Now they help and willingly get rid of things when we do a toy purge (usually right before or after a gift giving holiday).
Old 02-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We've cleared the toys multiple times, and my (older) daughter's play has come a million miles! Even my hoarder mom commented the other day about how creatively she plays now and noticed that when she got all the toys my mom has for her out the level of play deteriorated because she was so distracted! I love hearing/watching her play and playing with her, she is soo creative and purging the toys really released that.

We also do set nights for dinner (moday = pizza night, tuesday = pasta night, etc) which has helped the whole family! My DH especially loves it because dinner is ready on time so much more often (which makes him sound like a jerk but I promise he's not )

We implemented a rhythm for our days and this has been the hardest thing for me because I did not grow up with an example of this, but it makes a huge difference for my ODD and DH who really need the rhythm, and I've found it really lowers my stress level when we stick to it.

We're still working on filtering the adult world :/ it's tough because DH and I don't get a lot of time apart from the girls, but we're working on it, and it definitely makes a difference to ODD.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizgrace07
We didn't do everything in the book, but we did address the kids play area and toys. They loved it! They didn't miss a thing that we got rid of, but rather were so excited to "see" all their toys. They got right to playing! When there were fewer items, they could easily find/see/use them. When we first started they were too little to help. Now they help and willingly get rid of things when we do a toy purge (usually right before or after a gift giving holiday).
I am not familiar with this, but now I'm curious. What are the ideas for kids' play areas that have helped you?
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasra_nu View Post
I am not familiar with this, but now I'm curious. What are the ideas for kids' play areas that have helped you?
Well, a lot of it is really just minimalism . The author suggests cutting the number of your child's toys way back. I forget the percentage he suggests keeping (maybe it was 50% or 25%?). All of the toys are in good repair, good working order, no battery powered lights/sounds, mostly natural materials. Lots of open ended toys to encourage imaginative play such as blocks, trucks, drawing supplies, dollhouse, etc. Almost none of our toys do just one thing or dictate what they do. All of the toys are easy to get at (ie. not a whole bunch shoved in one bin or on one shelf). Some of the toys are on a shelf with doors that close so that you cannot see them all at one. It is visually calm and "plain" as opposed to an overwhelming room full of toys. Instead of seeing a pile of toys, the kids actually see the toys themselves and enjoy playing with each of them. HTH.

Most people might think that we do not have very many toys for three children, but in fact the children prefer it this way. I know this to be true because I can see that they play more with their toys, enjoy them more, and engage in much more imaginative play. They just seem to be having a better time when they have fewer toys (toys which they really enjoy) and the playroom itself is visually simple and uncluttered.

Last edited by lizgrace07; 02-04-2012 at 09:35 PM.
lizgrace07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I just ordered this book from Amazon. I'm looking forward to reading it
Old 02-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizgrace07 View Post
Well, a lot of it is really just minimalism . The author suggests cutting the number of your child's toys way back. I forget the percentage he suggests keeping (maybe it was 50% or 25%?). All of the toys are in good repair, good working order, no battery powered lights/sounds, mostly natural materials. Lots of open ended toys to encourage imaginative play such as blocks, trucks, drawing supplies, dollhouse, etc. Almost none of our toys do just one thing or dictate what they do. All of the toys are easy to get at (ie. not a whole bunch shoved in one bin or on one shelf). Some of the toys are on a shelf with doors that close so that you cannot see them all at one. It is visually calm and "plain" as opposed to an overwhelming room full of toys. Instead of seeing a pile of toys, the kids actually see the toys themselves and enjoy playing with each of them. HTH.

Most people might think that we do not have very many toys for three children, but in fact the children prefer it this way. I know this to be true because I can see that they play more with their toys, enjoy them more, and engage in much more imaginative play. They just seem to be having a better time when they have fewer toys (toys which they really enjoy) and the playroom itself is visually simple and uncluttered.
i'd love to see a photo of your playroom, if possible!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Ebeuchat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ditto!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
PiecesOfKate
Registered Users
seller
seller

Off to check this out!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love the book! We follow the suggestions loosely. I thinned my DS toys down but also I added some things last year when I did to stimulate creative play. Like I added in some musical instruments, a bin of fort making supplies, and I converted an old kiddie table into a art station. I also corralled all his dress up and creative roll playing stuff into one big bin. I put all his active toys in one area, like his sit and spin, stick pony, step on stilt cans. And, then I labeled each bin, so he could see where everything went. I put all his excess books on shelves in his closet and we keep 5-10 books we are actively reading in his night stand.

I have got a bit out of the habit since having my baby, but I would preview the following day with my DS. That helped him. And, we try and stick to a set daily schedule and we only have a very loose weekly schedule. We do limit exposure to the world. And, we limit screen time.