Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Simplicity Parenting

Ok, I took some pictures.

First let me just say that it is certainly not perfect. It is just our playroom, the way it is. We implemented many of the ideas in the book in the way that works for us. It could be better, for sure. We have three boys, ages 4, 3, and 14 months. There really is still too much stuff, especially after the Christmas onslaught . Also, in addition to what's here, they have a few puzzles and games in a cupboard in the living room and a train set in their bedroom. I also realized that they have a few battery powered toys that just arrived this Christmas (buzz, woody, and jessie from toy story and a kid camera). Anyway, they love them for now so they'll stay until they get sick of them.

First I was going to tidy up for the pictures, but I thought you might first like to see how it really looks after it's been played in for a while .

And here is is after tidying up...

Raggedy old couch. They mostly use this to climb and jump on or take all the cushions off and make a fort. I had visions of them quietly looking at books on it, but they never do that. However, this room is open to the kitchen, so it's a nice place for adults to sit and chat while I am cooking.

Toy shelf. There are really too many toys on the shelf. I am going to Ikea soon to get another shelf to put next to it to spread them out a bit. About the two doors, one of them is a half bath and the other is a closet which houses my sewing/craft stuff. Something about the angle of the picture makes them look ridiculously narrow... they are really not. Normal sized people actually fit through them just fine.

Books. We try to keep most of the books on a shelf in our bedroom and only have a few out at a time.

Play Kitchen and a few other favorite toys (Rody horse, shopping cart, soccer ball, barn and horse trailer, and wooden blocks).

Advertisement

Last edited by lizgrace07; 02-06-2012 at 04:04 PM.
lizgrace07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Ebeuchat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizgrace07
Ok, I took some pictures.

First let me just say that it is certainly not perfect. It is just our playroom, the way it is. We implemented many of the ideas in the book in the way that works for us. It could be better, for sure. We have three boys, ages 4, 3, and 14 months. There really is still too much stuff, especially after the Christmas onslaught . Also, in addition to what's here, they have a few puzzles and games in a cupboard in the living room and a train set in their bedroom. I also realized that they have a few battery powered toys that just arrived this Christmas (buzz, woody, and jessie from toy story and a kid camera). Anyway, they love them for now so they'll stay until they get sick of them.

First I was going to tidy up for the pictures, but I thought you might first like to see how it really looks after it's been played in for a while .

And here is is after tidying up...

Raggedy old couch. They mostly use this to climb and jump on or take all the cushions off and make a fort. I had visions of them quietly looking at books on it, but they never do that. However, this room is open to the kitchen, so it's a nice place for adults to sit and chat while I am cooking.
Toy shelf. There are really too many toys on the shelf. I am going to Ikea soon to get another shelf to put next to it to spread them out a bit. About the two doors, one of them is a half bath and the other is a closet which houses my sewing/craft stuff. Something about the angle of the picture makes them look ridiculously narrow... they are really not.
Books. We try to keep most of the books on a shelf in our bedroom and only have a few out at a time.
Thanks for sharing!!! Looks so peaceful! Approx how manny toys do you think you have? How did you decide what to keep?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our playroom is pretty minimal and I could easily purge again! My kids play for HOURS because they can see the toys and are not overwhelmed.

Brio trains
Playmobil
Blocks
Dress-ups
Legos
Wheely-bugs
Books
Animals
Cars
Balls
Dolls
Rocking horse
Play kitchen
And a few odds and ends

And a dollhouse in dd's room

I have shelves with baskets and I'd love to get something nicer/ fancier, but I haven't found anything I like in my price range, and it does look quite tidy.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeuchat View Post
Thanks for sharing!!! Looks so peaceful! Approx how manny toys do you think you have? How did you decide what to keep?
We keep only what they really play with and enjoy. I pretty much decide that. Usually they are good about letting things go that they do not use much, but sometimes they cling to something and insist that it is a favorite. If I know better I just get rid of it when they are not looking (sometimes I'll keep it hidden somewhere for a little while first just to make sure). Sure enough, they never miss it. Priority goes to things that they play with often and which hold their attention for longer amounts of time. Also, it must fit in comfortably in the space available. These are usually building toys and toys which encourage imaginative play. In our house that included blocks, legos, animals, a barn, cars/trucks/trains, play kitchen and a small amount of accessories for it, silk scarves, dress up items, swords, and active toys (push, pull, ride type toys), balls, and bowling.

Other toys we have include a ring stacker, abacus, wooden tool set, pretend mass kit, hobby horse, baskets, toy story character dolls, and little odds and ends in that fabric bin on the bottom of the shelf. I'm probably forgetting a few things. Plus there is stuff in the garage in the "rotation" bin, but I really cannot remember what.

Toys which are broken, missing parts, or which they rarely play with or mostly just toss aside to get to what they really want get ousted! Most battery powered toys also do not last long.

Often I will let things that are new and seem special to them stay for a while even if they don't meet my criteria. Soon enough they get tired of them (as expected) and I get rid of them and they never notice.

They really do have a lot more fun this way. The more we get rid of the toys that they do not really play with much, the more they enjoy the toys they do play with. Because they can find them, have room to play with them, and can feel relaxed in a peaceful play space.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomom View Post
Our playroom is pretty minimal and I could easily purge again! My kids play for HOURS because they can see the toys and are not overwhelmed.

Brio trains
Playmobil
Blocks
Dress-ups
Legos
Wheely-bugs
Books
Animals
Cars
Balls
Dolls
Rocking horse
Play kitchen
And a few odds and ends

And a dollhouse in dd's room

I have shelves with baskets and I'd love to get something nicer/ fancier, but I haven't found anything I like in my price range, and it does look quite tidy.
Sounds great, can we come over and play??
Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Looks fabulous! I've got to purge more toys. It's really hard since these are all nice, new toys from Christmas! I have a giving things away = taking a $ money loss issue. I need help with that!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcrouse View Post
Looks fabulous! I've got to purge more toys. It's really hard since these are all nice, new toys from Christmas! I have a giving things away = taking a $ money loss issue. I need help with that!
We have a nice consignment sale in our area twice a year. I save up the items I purge throughout the year in a box to sell at the sale assuming they are in good condition. (Kids toys, clothes, shoes, etc). I use the money to get whatever the kids need for the next season. Could you do something like that? Then it's not a total loss and the $ still goes to the kids needs. I know you still lose some $ that way, but think of it as the cost of an improved quality of life for you and the kids.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #18
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I figure I could take items to any of the local consignment shops, or I could sell them on ebay or fsot/spot's, but it's just too much trouble. The easiest thing would be just to call Hope House or one of the charities that picks up! However, I know the selling option is there, and so it seems to be silly not to try to get some $ back out of things, kwim? I'm talking clothing, shoes, toys, books (I have soooooooo many books).
Old 02-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
mookie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
For those who have implemented the meal planning, what are your categories? The book only has a few categories and I could use some more! Right now I have pizza, pasta, stir fry, and soup/stew. I need three more to make it through the week!
mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #20
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Mexican! We have Taco Tuesdays here.