Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #21
Ebeuchat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I like the meal planning! I'll try that next! So far I've purged toys in the kids' rooms! They're probably not minimalist yet, but baby steps right?!

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #22
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: Simplicity Parenting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie View Post
For those who have implemented the meal planning, what are your categories? The book only has a few categories and I could use some more! Right now I have pizza, pasta, stir fry, and soup/stew. I need three more to make it through the week!

Mexican (taco salad, enchildads, fajitas, salsa chicken, burritos)
Breakfast (egg casserole, pancakes, waffles, egg mcmuffins, breakfast burritos)
Americana (hamburgers, sloppy joes, fried chicken, kabobs, BLT's, meatloaf, ham and broccoli scalloped potatoes)

I go very heavy on the veggies, use whole grains for all breads/pastas, and make a white sauce to replace cream soups in recipes that call for that. I also make big enough meals so we always have enough for leftovers for lunch.

Afternoon Snacks are always fresh fruit (oranges, applesasuce, melon, bananas, grapes, pineapple), nuts, and yogurt. Breakfast is always a homemade muffin or quick bread (I make a big batch every Saturday) with fruit smoothie.

Last edited by Melinda29; 02-18-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
Americana (hamburgers, sloppy joes, fried chicken, kabobs, BLT's, meatloaf, ham and broccoli scalloped potatoes)

I go very heavy on the veggies, use whole grains for all breads/pastas, and make a roux to replace cream soups in recipes that call for that. I also make big enough meals so we always have enough for leftovers for lunch.

Snacks are always fresh fruit in the morning (oranges, applesasuce, melon, bananas, grapes, pineapple) and yogurt in the afternoon. Breakfast is always a homemade muffin or quick bread (I make a big batch every Saturday).
Great ideas!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #24
mookie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29

I go very heavy on the veggies, use whole grains for all breads/pastas, and make a roux to replace cream soups in recipes that call for that. I also make big enough meals so we always have enough for leftovers for lunch.

Snacks are always fresh fruit in the morning (oranges, applesasuce, melon, bananas, grapes, pineapple) and yogurt in the afternoon. Breakfast is always a homemade muffin or quick bread (I make a big batch every Saturday).
Thank you! That rounds it out for me. Breakfast for supper is my kids absolute favorite so they will be excited to hear it is in the regular round up for the week.
mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #25
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

We do Taco Tuesdays too! Wednesdays we are at church and have a meal there so that is crossed off my planning list. Sunday is pancake night. I usually have one Italian night and one Americana night....spaghetti and cheeseburger pie or meatloaf usually.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #26
lindipindi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is our week of meals we follow it lossely but it really helps!

Sunday- Big Dinners like roasted chicken, deep fried turkey, ribs, meatloaf something we can have for leftovers and to make othe rmeals from

Monday- Big Salad/CrockPot/Stir Fry Night. We do something from this catagory and it helps me not feel tied to a certain technique.

Tuesday- Seafood Night. We eat whatever is on sale that week. Shrimp as pasta, salmon, cod, halibit. Whatever. This is my way of making sure we have at least 1 night of a protine other then traditional meats.

Wednesday- Soup and Sandwich Night. I make a BIIIIIIIIIG batch of soup that we eat as leftovers the remainder of the week and use some of Sunday's dinner is applicable and then we have a sandwich. Melted subs, paninis, or grilled cheese. SUper easy and takes care of at least 2 lunches

Thursday- "Ethnic" night. I use that lossely as this means really anything. Italian, Mexican, American, Indian whatever. These are more classic foods to a specific region.

Friday- Meatless night. This can be another seafood or a meatless main such as pasta primavera(?) Mac and Cheese(homemade) Grilled veggie and goat cheese sandwich

Saturday- Daddy's night. This is my husbands night to cook whatever he wants or we do leftovers. I cook all 3 meals a day 6 days a week so I get a day off
lindipindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #27
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This thread has motivated me to put out one set of each type of toys. We have some cars, animals, one puzzle for each kids abilities, a few different types of games, a few musical instruments, Legos, a pirate ship and some simple art stuff out along with books and their stuffies/baby they sleep with. I put some of the other stuff in the closet to rotate out and we have two different piles for donation (one for Mexico and one for here in town). It looks so much better and the boys actually are playing with their stuff not just scattering it.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #28
Ebeuchat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshkasheeba
This thread has motivated me to put out one set of each type of toys. We have some cars, animals, one puzzle for each kids abilities, a few different types of games, a few musical instruments, Legos, a pirate ship and some simple art stuff out along with books and their stuffies/baby they sleep with. I put some of the other stuff in the closet to rotate out and we have two different piles for donation (one for Mexico and one for here in town). It looks so much better and the boys actually are playing with their stuff not just scattering it.
I know! I've done the two kids' rooms and they play way better now!! My 2yo did go to goodwill with me and cried "they're taking my tous away!" i told her we were sharing!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #29
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We are starting no TV (except for occasional movie, etc.) today! 3 year old ds has been plenty busy rediscovering his toys!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #30
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have had no TV since Friday. It is not something I think needs to be a hard fast rule, but my youngest has pneumonia and we watched 3 days of movies and that was just too much. They were kind of wild about it on Friday and the little one has asked for "Dragons" about 20 times since, but they have ahd a great time none the less and really haven't been any more under foot than normal.