Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #81
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Re: Simplicity Parenting

Subbing to read the rest of this thread, take notes, and implement!

I desperately need to purge, and looking forward to the meal planning too, that will be so helpful!

Advertisement

threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #82
jj7202
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirl
I'm resurrecting an old thread.

I just finished this book, and I would love to know how you purge the toys with a school age child. My DS is 6, and really into all the things the books says not to buy. transformers, ninja turtles, Lego hero factory. His room always looks like a bomb went off, but he has no problem playing in it unfortunately so I can't even use at as an explaination for him.

Im doing much better with my twins only buying open ended toys, it's the one that I let it start that's hard to stop.

- start with broken toys and ones with missing pieces. Shouldn't have a hard time explaining that then maybe break them up into groupings and have a "Lego week" "transformers week" "ninja turtles week" and so on. Then you can maybe determine what toys in each category can be purged, he might even say, I don't care for this one so much, or, I really love playing with such and such. Also, I think Legos are ok because the can build with their own imaginations, so maybe swapping the "hero factory" ones for some regular ones? Once you get it paired down then go on to say, pick your favorite 3 or 4 to stay in your room, the others will go into a "toy library" where you may "check them out" by exchanging them for a toy that is currently out. That way he isn't really "losing" any toys, just streamlining and knowing he can still play with what he chooses, just in a more focused fashion?
jj7202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #83
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj7202

- start with broken toys and ones with missing pieces. Shouldn't have a hard time explaining that then maybe break them up into groupings and have a "Lego week" "transformers week" "ninja turtles week" and so on. Then you can maybe determine what toys in each category can be purged, he might even say, I don't care for this one so much, or, I really love playing with such and such. Also, I think Legos are ok because the can build with their own imaginations, so maybe swapping the "hero factory" ones for some regular ones? Once you get it paired down then go on to say, pick your favorite 3 or 4 to stay in your room, the others will go into a "toy library" where you may "check them out" by exchanging them for a toy that is currently out. That way he isn't really "losing" any toys, just streamlining and knowing he can still play with what he chooses, just in a more focused fashion?
Yup! This was going to be my suggestion.
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #84
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

In the spirit of minimalism, is anyone looking to pass on the book now that they've finished reading it? Message me. I'll pay for.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #85
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

bump
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #86
margaretkaye
Registered Users
seller

I'm interested in the book also if anyone is getting rid of their copy.
margaretkaye is offline   Reply With Quote