Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
shelookslikeamom
Registered Users
seller

3 Day Potty Training, here we go!

Starting this today. DD is 22 months. We've been sitting her on the potty at specific times (before/after meals and sleep) since she was 12 months old. For the last five months or so she would only poop in the potty, not her diapers, but she'd still pee in diapers, even though she knows she can pee in the potty as well. I tried to get serious about potty training earlier in January. My methods weren't completely working, so I bought the 3-day book before we flew to Disney World last week (planned the trip in October), fully intending to use it when we got home. Well, she started pooping in diapers again during the trip. We flew home this Wednesday, and the pooping in diapers has continued (it's less cute now that she's back in FB's instead of the sposies we were using for the trip). Since coming home, I thought I would stop all potty training per the 3-day author's recommendation to "deprogram" the kid until my husband and I could start the 3-day method over President's Day weekend. Well, it turns out that stopping what we've been doing for well over a year just totally confused DD. She has been angry and prone to tantrums since coming home and returning to cloth diapers.

So here we are, unexpectedly starting today. I'm not really as prepared as I'd like to be as far as having meals ready, DH is working long hours for the Reserves this weekend, and I have doctor appointments that DD has to come to with me at the end of next week. I really hope this works! We "threw away" her FB's into a trash bag this morning, and I took down the changing table. She is thrilled to be wearing panties, and loves hearing me call her a big girl, but so far we are down numerous pairs of panties and have not had a single potty success. She's napping right now... I hope the second half of today goes better.

Anyone else in this with me this weekend? How's it going for you?

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

We are! I posted in the 'rave' thread about it, but it doesn't really belong there unless it works, I guess.

We started yesterday, and every pee and the poo was an accident (DS has been pooping on the potty pretty consistently for a few months now, so the poo accident caught me a bit by surprise), but he's still in the undies we put on this morning, and he's napping right now! He's gone potty twice plus a poop and both times it was because we went into the bathroom (for a shower and because I had to go) not because he asked. But I'll take it!

DS is older than your little girl (27 months), and I am not trying to night train.

Good luck!!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3 Day Potty Training, here we go!

We did the 3 day potty training but not by the ebook. I had heard so much about it but our potty training was a last-minute thing lol. DD got a super nasty diaper rash with open sores and I decided to do naked time. While we were doing this naked time, we started encouraging the potty. She peed on herself twice before she realized she hated the warm pee running down her leg lol. Oh and she is 22 months now (been trained almost a month now.) I read someplace that most kids trained before age 3 its the parents that are trained and the kids don't vocalize when they have to go. I beg to differ because I NEVER have to tell DD to go, she tells me when she needs to go and usually does a potty dance. I think its great for you to start more unexpectedly, gives you less time to stress over it. DD is night trained also, she has had a handful of accidents in almost a month.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
shelookslikeamom
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like it's going great for you, mrosehughes! Good luck and keep me updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaStacy* View Post
We did the 3 day potty training but not by the ebook. I had heard so much about it but our potty training was a last-minute thing lol. DD got a super nasty diaper rash with open sores and I decided to do naked time. While we were doing this naked time, we started encouraging the potty. She peed on herself twice before she realized she hated the warm pee running down her leg lol. Oh and she is 22 months now (been trained almost a month now.) I read someplace that most kids trained before age 3 its the parents that are trained and the kids don't vocalize when they have to go. I beg to differ because I NEVER have to tell DD to go, she tells me when she needs to go and usually does a potty dance. I think its great for you to start more unexpectedly, gives you less time to stress over it. DD is night trained also, she has had a handful of accidents in almost a month.
That's awesome, Stacy! Though the bolded part doesn't apply to you, it has absolutely been the case for me. I trained myself to put her on the potty at certain times, and trained myself to keep a closer eye on her when I knew pee or poop were coming. It gets exhausting. :-P I like how the 3-day method gives more emphasis on the kid learning to recognize their signals, instead of the adult.

To close today, I made a lasagna while DD napped. She had peed in the bed while she slept. The rest of the afternoon had a long dry spell followed by pee and poop in the potty which I rewarded by letting her watch TV. She peed on my leg while entranced by the screen (needless to say, no more TV during potty training). She didn't make it dry through dinner either, but there was a successful pee in the potty before she went to bed. I'm not sure how to tackle the night exactly. She does not respond well to being woken up before she's ready, so waking her an hour after she's been asleep, when we go to bed, or an hour before she usually wakens does not seem like a good idea to me. I know for sure she'll be wet when she wakes up, but that doesn't bother me. Would it hinder the potty training, I wonder? What to do, what to do.

Well, on to day 2 tomorrow!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

DS is getting ready for bed and his underwear was still dry So I at least have some good news to give daycare when he's in undies Monday, even if tomorrow's a bust (they were on board when I brought it up Thursday, so it won't be a surprise).
Old 02-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelookslikeamom View Post
That's awesome, Stacy! Though the bolded part doesn't apply to you, it has absolutely been the case for me. I trained myself to put her on the potty at certain times, and trained myself to keep a closer eye on her when I knew pee or poop were coming. It gets exhausting. :-P I like how the 3-day method gives more emphasis on the kid learning to recognize their signals, instead of the adult.

To close today, I made a lasagna while DD napped. She had peed in the bed while she slept. The rest of the afternoon had a long dry spell followed by pee and poop in the potty which I rewarded by letting her watch TV. She peed on my leg while entranced by the screen (needless to say, no more TV during potty training). She didn't make it dry through dinner either, but there was a successful pee in the potty before she went to bed. I'm not sure how to tackle the night exactly. She does not respond well to being woken up before she's ready, so waking her an hour after she's been asleep, when we go to bed, or an hour before she usually wakens does not seem like a good idea to me. I know for sure she'll be wet when she wakes up, but that doesn't bother me. Would it hinder the potty training, I wonder? What to do, what to do.

Well, on to day 2 tomorrow!
I hope its going better for you! I just wanted to make a quick note about MY experience with night training. My son is almost 7 years old and still wets the bed. So its not absolutely necessary to "tackle" that at this point. I think that this is the only area in which I feel like I have trained DD. She still nurses and sometimes wakes around 12:30-1am to nurse. At that time, I take her and sit her on the potty and her "reward" for using the potty is nursing back to sleep. Its been working for us for 3 weeks now. I am hoping once she weans, she will have more control over holding it all night. Right now, she's holding it from 1am-10am without peeing the bed. Some nights she doesn't nurse at all and holds it for 12 hours. I really don't think that night training is something that HAS to be done with day training. I think its important to reward them somehow when they DO use the potty, but we used Smarties or M&Ms for that part. For every poop on the potty, she got a mini candy bar (one of those tiny Kit Kats or Hersheys.) Eventually we weaned off of candy as rewards and she got lots of claps and "yays!" from the family.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
shelookslikeamom
Registered Users
seller

Well, day 2 was a mixed success. She was wet when we woke her up this morning, otherwise there were no accidents for the morning, yay! She stayed dry through breakfast and lunch (historically, through my other training attempts, she'd always wet herself during meals). Then everything fell apart at nap time. She didn't sleep at all for fear of wetting the bed, which happened anyway. The rest of the afternoon held many accidents, and she peed herself during dinner. I hope tomorrow goes better.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelookslikeamom View Post
Well, day 2 was a mixed success. She was wet when we woke her up this morning, otherwise there were no accidents for the morning, yay! She stayed dry through breakfast and lunch (historically, through my other training attempts, she'd always wet herself during meals). Then everything fell apart at nap time. She didn't sleep at all for fear of wetting the bed, which happened anyway. The rest of the afternoon held many accidents, and she peed herself during dinner. I hope tomorrow goes better.
It sounds like a super emotional day for you both. I never had to deal with DD being fearful in any way. Hang in there!
Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

Our day three was mixed as well (sigh). DS is basically holding it until he can't anymore and saying he needs to use the potty while he's going. If i ask him 30 seconds before he goes he says no. Except for poo -- we were even out and he told me he needed to go and we made it to the potty (phew!)

Daycare tomorrow might be a mistake... Fingers crossed it goes more like Saturday than today.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
shelookslikeamom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosehughes View Post
Our day three was mixed as well (sigh). DS is basically holding it until he can't anymore and saying he needs to use the potty while he's going. If i ask him 30 seconds before he goes he says no. Except for poo -- we were even out and he told me he needed to go and we made it to the potty (phew!)

Daycare tomorrow might be a mistake... Fingers crossed it goes more like Saturday than today.
I was going to say I've got my fingers crossed for you, too, but then I realized you meant today, Monday, and the day is already over! I hope it worked out well...

We had a rough night last night. DD fell asleep well enough since she hadn't napped, then she woke up wet with blood-curdling screams (did I mention she doesn't take well to waking up during the night?). She was too upset to sit on the potty. I even slept in her room to try to catch before she'd pee, but even if she was dry, she'd still scream at being woken up. We eventually put a pull-up on her and she slept much better after that.

This morning was perfect with absolutely no accidents. I put another pull-up on her for nap time, and she did nap today (thank you!!). The afternoon, though... lots and lots of accidents. I don't know what it is about the afternoon and evening that makes her completely lose her potty sensibilities. Needless to say, at the end of Day 3, DD is still not fully potty trained. Sad, but not unexpected.

I asked some CD'ing friends what I should do for my doctor appointments at the end of this week. After getting their advice, I feel at peace with putting her in pull-ups. She is making great progress, but I can't put my entire life on hold to try to potty train her. We've already clocked at least three whole weeks from December to January in which I never left the house with DD, trying to get her fully potty dependent. After doing the 3-day system, and getting the same results, I gotta say enough's enough. We are leaving the house-- going to story time, playdates, and doctor appointments-- in a F**ing pull-up. So there. :-P