Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #21
shelookslikeamom
Registered Users
seller

Re: 3 Day Potty Training, here we go!

Visioner,

I bought the "Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care" book last night on a whim when I saw it on the shelf at the grocery store. I know my Mom read Dr. Spock when I was a kid, so I was a little hesitant of what I would find, but it has been revised and updated for the 21st century by a new pediatrician. I read the potty training section and was pleasantly surprised by how gentle and understanding the authors were/are of toddlers and their eliminations.

One passage that might apply to your DS is this: "Most one to two year olds are fascinated with the flushing at first and want to do it themselves. But later some of them become frightened by the violent way the water flushes the movement away, and they become afraid to sit on the seat. They probably fear that they might fall in and be swirled away in a watery rush. Until two and a half years, it's a good idea to empty the potty and flush the toilet after the child has left the room." Stemming further into the fear of watching BM's get flushed away is this theory: "One aspect of this possessiveness [of seeing the BM as a fascinating personal creation]..., is a reluctance about giving up the BM to the potty and to the parent. Another aspect is anxiety about seeing the BM flushed away in the toilet; to some small children this is as disturbing as if they saw their arm being sucked down the toilet."

So that may be some insight on what's going on with your DS. As far as what the authors recommend to do... they suggest putting him back in his diapers and wait until he is more ready. Not what you want to hear, I know. :-/ If this stuff about BM possessiveness and
flush fears is to be believed, I would personally stick with the potty chair instead of the seat, maybe put it somewhere other than the bathroom, and follow the advice of flushing waste when the kid isn't looking. Let him take the lead about when he's comfortable to sit.

Sorry you've encountered this setback. :-(

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #22
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelookslikeamom View Post
Woot!!! Very glad to hear it, Stacy! How did DD react to being woken up? Was she cooperative? Did she ever fight you and refuse to sit on the potty? That's the reaction I got when I tried to get my DD to go potty at night. She's in pull-ups for sleep right now which is fine, but I need to figure something else out for nap time. She has not been napping consistently, and she takes full advantage of the fact that she's wearing pull-ups while she's awake (and I'm trying to get her to sleep), and then that transfers over to lots of accidents when I put her back in panties. I was doing the pull-ups because she wasn't sleeping in panties. I think I'll try putting her back in CD's for nap time. This potty-training deal is one big trial and error!
She hated it. After the first week though, she stopped fighting me and would just go. I'd try to get her there as quickly as possible, not even turning on the bathroom light so she wouldn't get too upset. I'd tell her to potty real fast and we'd go back to bed. She never refused to sit on the potty but she would definitely fight me. I knew she had to go so I'd tell her we would sit there til she went. Those were always her never-ending pees LOL.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #23
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by visioner View Post
He doesn't seem to mind diapers or being poopy.

He is having success with the telling me he has to go...poop poop potty potty and he will run to the bathroom, get his pants down and then say no. This happened for 4 hrs straight today before he peed while I was feeding the baby and couldn't get up fast enough.

He knows if he gets it in the potty, he gets to dump and flush (his fav things!) but he is just so scared. I feel bad. Today was the end of day 4. I wasn't expecting for him to be potty trained in 3 days but I thought he would be over the scaredness? of the potty. He is 25 months. Anyone have any tips besides wait it out?

I have tried both a potty chair and seat. Candy, toy, sticker rewards, games, songs. I have sat with him on both- front and behind. I gave him my chap stick and sunglasses today and that seemed to help a bit.

We are not waking him at night because he is an early riser and he would think it was time to get up.
As far as him being afraid. I agree with the above post that it could be how violently the potty flushes. Have you ever seen "Look Who's Talking?" the movie?? That sorta makes me laugh because it gives some insight into what some toddlers may feel about the potty. Also, I took DD with me into public restrooms and those toilets are LOUD! So perhaps he's been traumatized in some way that you don't quite understand. Either way, I'd try to be as gentle with him as you can. Tell him if he will use the potty, you will flush or deal with the clean-up. My DD LOVES to flush and will "bye bye pee pee" or "bye bye poo poo" when its going down. She gets hysterical if she doesn't flush after she potties.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #24
visioner
Registered Users
seller

I think I was unclear in my post:
He isn't crying when he dumps and flushes. We have an acrylic seat and he can look through the lid and if anything is in there he says eww and flushes it. He says bye bye too.

It is the sitting/ trying to get him to sit on the potty chair (fisher price frog) that leads to a freak out.

Today has been better. We got 2- .5 pees in the potty and a poop. Without tears!

He is a very stubborn boy. He took over a week to finally sleep in the car toddler bed when we gave the crib to his brother (2yrs and baby was 4 months).

Well tomorrow can only be better!
visioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #25
shelookslikeamom
Registered Users
seller

Visioner - How's it going? Has DS gotten more comfortable sitting on the potty?

On our end, after 5 days without accidents, I think it's safe to say DD is day/naptime potty trained! She wears panties around the house, and then a Flip trainer for going out and naps, and she keeps them dry! She still wets at night, so she's in a pull-up for now. Once she starts waking up dry in the morning, I'll switch her to the Flip trainer. She has added the words "pee-pee" and "poo-poo" to her vocabulary, but she doesn't use them often or at all. Once she gets better about vocalizing her potty needs is when I'll stop taking her out of the house in trainers, I think.

It definitely took longer than 3 days for us, but this method helped DD wrap her head around the idea of consistently using the potty better than any other method I'd tried. She's a big girl now! Mommy's so proud. ^_^
Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #26
visioner
Registered Users
seller

He is doing MUCH better.....what a long few days. The past 2 days have been accident free! He runs to the potty himself but needs me to help him with his pants and undies.

He hates meal times and was using the potty as an excuse to get down but I have been putting him on the potty before meals and saying pee now because you are not getting down. I know- not in the book but meals were starting to take over an hour.

We went to the park in undies yest and he didn't pee before and he didn't pee until we got home and sitting on his potty! He also peed on the big potty! So proud of him!

We are planning our first shopping trip on Friday and I am worried about it. I am debating putting him in his trainers- they are too big on him but still work. I trust him but worried I won't be able to find a bathroom quick enough.

Anyways, I never woke him at night to pee on the potty. He has woken up dry the past 3 days!! Feels a bit weird washing clean diapers. It defn took longer then 3 days but feeling like we are very close to the end.
visioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #27
shelookslikeamom
Registered Users
seller

Yay!!!! Yeah, the sitting on the potty before meals is something we do here, too. I think after the initial three day window, the author gives you the go ahead to try different tactics that work better for your child. As far as your shopping trip on Friday, do whatever you feel most comfortable with. I had taken DD out in panties a couple of times with success, but once she had an accident, it was back to waterproof trainers. She knows she still has to keep them dry, and she has except for one other accident. Maybe your DS will be better about telling you when he has to go.