Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
jnei
Registered Users
seller

Clogged ducts...HELP!

Last night I was so exhausted I slept through my night pumping session...I woke up this morning with an engorged breast and a couple of, what I'm assuming are, clogged ducts.

I've massaged, pumped, tried a warm compress, hot shower, and hand expressed to no avail! My boob still hurts like hell and won't empty at all!

What else can I do?

Advertisement

jnei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you exclusively pump or does your baby also nurse? If so, nurse on that side as much as you can, using the other side just enough to keep it from having issues. The baby is more effective than a pump.

Some moms swear by taking lecithin to prevent clogged ducts. Something about it thinning the milk, so that might help.

Ibuprofen to help with the pain so you can relax more and let down the milk to help get it out. Keep massaging, also you can alternate cool packs with the heat as cool can feel good with the engorgement.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
birds chart
Registered Users
seller

Re: Clogged ducts...HELP!

I have a large milk supply and clogged ducts happen to me often. I usually do that thing where I sorta hang over the baby boob dangling and let her nurse that way - massaging the areas that are lumpy during the nursing session. It's ridiculously funny looking but works every time. Pumping doesn't clear it up as effectively.

Plus, yeah - What the above poster said. Good luck!
birds chart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
jnei
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aept
Do you exclusively pump or does your baby also nurse? If so, nurse on that side as much as you can, using the other side just enough to keep it from having issues. The baby is more effective than a pump.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I exclusively pump. She hates the breast. I've even tried massaging while pumping. It's frustrating because it's the boob that produces the most and now I can't get anything!
jnei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
Sabriel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
[QUOTE="jnei"]

I exclusively pump. She hates the breas

I' ve been getting clogged ducts lately too. It takes a few it really h pumping sessions to get rid of them for me. I put a hot washcloth over the area when I start to pump. When it cools, I rub the area as hard as I can for the rest of the pumping session. I used lecithen when I was nursing DD1, and it really helped.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Massage really hard, like hard enough that it hurts (bruising feeling) before and during pumping. Also do this in the shower. The lecithin will help as well it's pretty cheap and you can get it from walmart, it does think out the milk a bit so that it helps unclog but doesn't effect milk quality. Just keep trying! Also you can try getting DH to massage it too since he can probably massage harder.

I used to have a lot of these until i got the massage advice and when i feel a small one starting i start taking the lecithin again and then stop a week after it's gone. Good luck!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
bartsgirl
Registered Users
seller

The only thing that worked for me when EPing was olive oil and a wide toothed comb. Take both in a hot shower and oil the lumpy areas and comb the lumps towards your nipple while under the hot water. Hang in there!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Cherbear013
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would also look for any milk blebs on the nipple. For the past few months when I've gotten clogged ducts I have noticed blebs. As soon as I work those out the milk comes squirting out!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherbear013 View Post
I would also look for any milk blebs on the nipple. For the past few months when I've gotten clogged ducts I have noticed blebs. As soon as I work those out the milk comes squirting out!
Yep, this. Massage like crazy in the shower. Let the water hit it. Let the water fall on your back and shoulders to help you relax. Massage, massage, massage. Periodically, look at your nipple--check for a teeny tiny white spot (looks like a little whitehead) that wasn't there before. I have been known to use a sterile needle to pop/work mine out. Also, I sometimes enlist my DH's help to suck or try to suck on it myself. When I get plugged ducts that aren't resolving, I also start taking garlic (whole cloves cut into swallowable pieces and swallowed with OJ) and belladona to stave off mastitis.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Everyone has offered good advice

I would use a warm compress and massage for a while before pumping, then pump immediately and massage downward toward the nipple as hard as you can possibly stand. Heat, and massage, and pumping often should help get things flowing