Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
Connor
Registered Users
seller

My son is 28 months and still nurses to sleep at night and for naps (unless in the car or carrier). I think it's anatural thing. If it helps you're LO fall asleep I don't see a problem with it.

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Short and sweet!!

I think nursing is the best tool in my toolbox! I use it for as long as it will work to get my kids to sleep, which has been about 12 months with both of them. Then I have to figure out something else, like patting, rocking, singing, etc. It changes over time, so I do whatever works. Right now it is singing, which I also kinda love as a bedtime ritual.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Nursing to sleep is wonderful.

I say do it as long as you can! I've been nursing my LO to sleep since he was born and now that he is 13.5 months old, he is starting to not fall asleep. The first time this happened I was surprised and didn't know what to do so I just carried him to his crib and put him down. He looked up at me and I said "shh... shh...." and he laid his little head down and went to sleep. Now I just nurse him as long as he wants and then he unlatches and I carry him to his crib and lay him down. He puts himself to sleep. I didn't do any "sleep training" and I could never do CIO. This was just a natural progression like everything else. He has also recently started sleeping longer between feedings at night, now going about 7 hours for the first stretch. I didn't *do* anything to make him do this... he just started sleeping longer stretches when he was ready.

I agree with a pp that babies need what they need. Each phase is just that; a phase. It doesn't last forever and I try to just enjoy the moment because they are babies for only a moment.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
mum2b~mel
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy
Nursing to sleep is wonderful.

I say do it as long as you can! I've been nursing my LO to sleep since he was born and now that he is 13.5 months old, he is starting to not fall asleep. The first time this happened I was surprised and didn't know what to do so I just carried him to his crib and put him down. He looked up at me and I said "shh... shh...." and he laid his little head down and went to sleep. Now I just nurse him as long as he wants and then he unlatches and I carry him to his crib and lay him down. He puts himself to sleep. I didn't do any "sleep training" and I could never do CIO. This was just a natural progression like everything else. He has also recently started sleeping longer between feedings at night, now going about 7 hours for the first stretch. I didn't *do* anything to make him do this... he just started sleeping longer stretches when he was ready.

I agree with a pp that babies need what they need. Each phase is just that; a phase. It doesn't last forever and I try to just enjoy the moment because they are babies for only a moment.
That sounds perfect! :-)

mum to beautiful boy and loving cloth nappy-ing him!
mum2b~mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #15
L&L
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds chart View Post
i just did this a couple of minutes ago actually, i love it. often i will nap with her, the prolactin makes me sleepy sometimes, still. it's one of the best feelings in the world knowing your baby is comfy snuggled next to you, so peaceful. ignore those who tell you it's a bad habit, beware baby trainers - babies do the things they do for a reason.

So glad you started this thread - I have had some guilt from nursing my lo to sleep for naps thanks those who told me it's a bad habit - So I tried and tried to change it up, but our nap routine was suffering, and she was not getting the sleep her little body needs. As of today I started to go back to 'our routine' and said to the moon with those who made me feel like I was not doing something good for my baby. Keep doing what works for you mama!

FSOT: hoarding at the moment
L&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #16
mum2b~mel
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&L

So glad you started this thread - I have had some guilt from nursing my lo to sleep for naps thanks those who told me it's a bad habit - So I tried and tried to change it up, but our nap routine was suffering, and she was not getting the sleep her little body needs. As of today I started to go back to 'our routine' and said to the moon with those who made me feel like I was not doing something good for my baby. Keep doing what works for you mama!
Here here! :-)

Old 02-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #17
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Did you know that there is a physiological reason why breastfeeding naturally puts a baby to sleep? There is a hormone called Relaxin that is released in the Mother & Baby when Baby nurses and just like it sounds, it causes both to *relax* and become drowsy. Other hormones such as Prolactin and Oxytocin also have this effect. (Ever notice how right after making love you feel relaxed and want to just lay in bed or even fall asleep? ) Why would something that was created so perfectly and naturally, such as this, be "bad"???

All my life I have never been good at taking naps. Its hard for me to fall asleep, especially during the day time. I remember people telling me to "nap when baby naps" to help with fatigue from frequent wakings during the night. I thought "yeah right... I can't take naps! This is gonna just be rough but we'll get through it." Then baby came and the first time he nursed right after birth we both got drowsy and he fell asleep on my chest. I watched him sleeping soundly, looking so peaceful.... moments later, I had fallen alseep, too. For the next four months, I was able to nap at least once during the day with my baby after he had nursed. It was a miracle and a blessing. I felt rested and wonderful. The first four months was the most restful time for me and I am grateful for the gift of being able to nurse my baby (and myself ) to sleep!

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 02-07-2012 at 08:57 AM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #18
ElizasMommy606
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I still do it at 18m, we don't co-sleep anymore but when she is done nursing I carry her to bed and lay her down. Those sleep sacks are awesome, she never stirs because she feels like she's in a blanket.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #19
mum2b~mel
Registered Users

Bump

Old 02-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #20
Belbaby3728
Banned

That's how my little one falls asleep. She's only almost 8 weeks now, but even for naps she has to be nursed to sleep.
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote