Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
momtokimmilise
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else give up on used diapers???

I wouldn't say "give up" ... but my thought has never been that I could get an entire stash on FSOT. I generally buy more reasonably priced dipes (nana's bottoms, etc), so it's not worth it to buy used. However, if I want to find a higher priced diaper (e.g. softbums, econappi), I would def keep an eye out on FSOT. I also make offers. It doesn't hurt to ask, and the bottom line is I'm looking for a deal. If the mama says no, I don't buy it. Also, FSOT is a good place to find discontinued dipes - just make sure you inform yourself about what the clearance prices were so someone doesn't make a profit off you.

Advertisement

momtokimmilise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
sanddimarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree. It's totally like fishing.
Just ask for TONS of pictures.

Sanddi
Single mommy to my Sylasarus

sanddimarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
graces-mommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddimarie View Post
I agree. It's totally like fishing.
Just ask for TONS of pictures.
This is also something that is new to me - FSOT listings with NO pictures! I don't get that?!

graces-mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
magoose
Registered Users

I get frustrated pretty easily with FSOT. I find if I post something FS, no one wants it or offers me completely below my asking price, even if I'm selling it for less than 50%. However, I find if I want to buy something, I find the prices are super expensive and close to retail, but the seller refuses to barter. It's frustrating. Lately, I've been buying new because it's really not worth it to me. I've also been burned too many times by sellers saying something is in EUC and it comes to me in GUC. Why can't people just be honest?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
beegee9
Registered Users

I guess I've been really lucky and only dealt with super honest mamas. I mean, yeah overall I've paid good money for things I've purchased (and am too afraid-to-offend-the seller to completely low-ball their asking price), but it's still been a much more affordable way to try out new items than buying brand new. Which makes it fun for me. Of course, I've found it hard to find specific items I'm looking for, but I'm not in any rush so there's no real frustration.

I would be really upset if I was promised something "brand new only prepped" or EUC that came with stains and animal fur all over it. I'm so sorry that's happened to some of you mamas! Boooooo! That certainly reminds me of the importance of pictures, wow.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Lately I have been buying new for everything except baby carriers & Nintendo DS games. I've been buying & selling diapers for nearly 4 years and 75% of the time I end up dissapointed. My standards are not the same as others. I have a small Softbums stash (all bought new) as well as a BG stash which was 85% new during BF sales or with points & coupon codes. That way I don't find myself selling as often.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I'm really done with FSOT and buying used. I've had a few *very* disappointing purchases recently. For example I received some prefolds off of Spots that were totally threadbare, crunchy like cardboard and stunk terribly for only $5 less than buying new. Also, my baby got a terrible, terrible rash after some used covers as well, so DH asked me to stick to new only.

This means we've stuck to sales and a smaller stash because of our budget. Also though, because I'm not constantly looking for new deals, I'm not selling for pp and I'm content with what we have. I have only just enough for 2 days for my 6mo & 2yo of BG pockets stuffed with plain cotton prefolds and some good quality basic trainers for my 3yo. I plan on using this stash until my 6m is PLed and wears them out!
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
kellfran
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
It's like fishing Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes there's just nothing out there. I do tend to buy new if it is something I *know* I want and need right away, but if it's just experimenting with something different, or something I could use but don't need immediately, I tend to hang around FSOT and see what pops up.

Selling can be a real pain too ya know. Sometimes I feel like it might be a better use of my time and energy to just put things up FFS and not mess around with bumping the thread, people changing their minds after a million PMs back and forth, etc.

YEPP!!
kellfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
kferg
Registered Users

I've pretty much given up as well. The prices just aren't low enough for me .I just wait for cottonbabies to put up their used diapers, seconds or sales. I mean the buy one get one on flip covers can't be beat and they're brand new. I also take advantage of their used BG pockets that they out up 4 for $20. I even got my prefolds as seconds from cottonbabies.
kferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have always used a 50% off retail as a personal standard for buying and selling used. I just wont buy it if used is 90% the price of new. I have no understanding of this. So, i do search th fsot boards, but if i dont fimd what im lookin for in a couple of days, i move on to new.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote