Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
EEEKKKK!! And need advice

I just ordered our first curriculum for "officially" homeschooling dd come august!! So excited!!

We are planning on starting in the beginning of august when dh (a school teacher) goes back to school. I, however, am due August 25th with our 5th child. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Advertisement

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: EEEKKKK!! And need advice

How old are your kids? I'm jealous, by the way I would LOVE to be starting in fall.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post
How old are your kids? I'm jealous, by the way I would LOVE to be starting in fall.
6, 5, 3, and almost 2 when august rolls around (currently 6, 4, 3 and 1)

Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

What works for your family. You can either start later and have a longer school year, or take a shorter summer break and start before the baby comes. If you get into a rhythm, the baby will hopefully not throw it off much. And really, schooling with a newborn isn't difficult, unless the newborn is a very needy newborn. I used to sit and nurse or just hold the sleeping baby while doing schoolwork with the older ones. It's really when they get moving that it's more difficult.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So it will be a lot of hands on Would you consider schooling on a year round basis? I know I've heard that a lot of families do this. It makes for a lighter daily load, and then you can take a couple weeks when your baby arrives.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am currently HSing our oldest 3. When I was expecting Poppy in 10' I decided that I would "do" school all summer and then take time off when she was born in December. I began their "new" year in June and then stopped the day before Thanksgiving and had Poppy on the 8th. SHe had some health concerns and spent 6 days in NICU and was hospitalized again at 2 months for 6 days. I was so glad I didn't need to worry about school. We just went ahead with school in March and finished the year. I will say we were quite ready for a summer vacation but it was the best thing we could have done. Congrats on both the HSing and the newbie.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post
So it will be a lot of hands on Would you consider schooling on a year round basis? I know I've heard that a lot of families do this. It makes for a lighter daily load, and then you can take a couple weeks when your baby arrives.

We could. I was hoping to go along with dh's school schedule. When he's home we get off routine, ya know?

Thank you everyone for your advice!

Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another idea would be night school. Do it after dinner when hubbie has a chance to relax and can care for the babe. We did this for awhile and it worked great for us. And it wasn't hard to transition back to day school.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
taximom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would start a little early this year so you can get an idea of what works. Then you could take time off after you have the baby and not worry about it. The great thing is the grades you are doing only take a little time. Phonics, math, handwriting is all I would do with them this year as they don't really need any more than this at this age and you'll have your hands full trying to figure out how to juggle it. You could always make up some days over the holidays if you need to while hubby is home to help with the baby if you need to. I don't give my kids a full christmas break because it doesn't make sense to me since we are home anyway and our school days don't take all day. I would rather be off school for the year in May when the weather is nice. We live in Ohio.

Be flexible, don't worry about it and all will go great. Good luck to you
taximom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:
Congrats! Has your oldest been in public school this year? What curriculum did you choose? Honestly, the newborn will be easier than the toddlers. Take it slow, don't put too much pressure on yourself. Read aloud to them a lot. Have her practice her handwriting a few times a week and do some fun math games. If you get to the rest, great. If not, it will be ok. Congrats on your new baby!