Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
akhwbj1
Registered Users
seller

Foster Care Present Question?

I have a set of friends who are starting foster care. They are starting their classes soon, and should be able to start getting children within a month or so. I am wanting to put together a small basket for them, but I am clueless on what I should put in it. They put on their app they would like children from 0-6 years old. Can someone help me figure this out? TIA!

Advertisement

akhwbj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Re: Foster Care Present Question?

Books!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like something that may get overlooked easily is how beneficial reading could be to these children. In general, a love for reading is an amazing gift to give to a child but these children often have delays. They could benefit so much by being read to as much as possible. Not to mention, many have likely never been read to. It's such a precious thing to do with your child and an experience they should not miss out on!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ManyBoyz
Books!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like something that may get overlooked easily is how beneficial reading could be to these children. In general, a love for reading is an amazing gift to give to a child but these children often have delays. They could benefit so much by being read to as much as possible. Not to mention, many have likely never been read to. It's such a precious thing to do with your child and an experience they should not miss out on!
Yes! Books! Our LO started loving books at 3 months! He loves his nightly book. maybe a stuffed animal, like a soft squishy one for an older babe/toddler/youngster. That age range is hard! Also maybe a soft blanket with satin edges for a little one who may be scared from the transition...I would think comfort items. Then if they get a newborn, they'll have things for later!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree. Maybe some stuffed animals, soft dolls and lovey type blankets. Some kids come with nothing or almost nothing and having an assortment of items to use in those situations would be great. Books for sure though! Sadly many kids who enter foster care hardly know what a book is.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
pcjs
Registered Users

Books, trains, hot wheels cars, toddler size cars, dolls, puzzles, crayons and coloring books, leap frog toys. You may just want to wait till they get a placement and do a gift for the specific child then.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's nice to have toothbrushes and brushes on hand. A tooth brush is the #1 thing kids have come without to my house, so having several extras at all times has been important. I'm sure it's something a lot of fp's don't think about either!

I agree some books would be nice. A small teddy bear would be loved by any kid 0-6.
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
juclark77
Registered Users

The book Another Place at the Table would be a great pre-placement gift. It gives a good picture of what foster parenting can be like. When they get a placement, meals are a super gift. The adjustment period can be really hard, and help with food can make life much easier. I would be amazed though if they can start getting placements in a month. I got my foster license in 2 different states, and each time it took about 9 months.
juclark77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is such a sweet thing to do! Your friends are lucky to have you. We have gotten some less than stellar responses from friends and family unfortunately.

I agree books, cool toothbrushes, small stuffed animals and maybe a blanket or 2. I just got a few fleece blanket kits for under $10 so thats a nice simple homemade gift that a kid might think is cool.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

There are some books very good at the small child level explaining foster care. I think one is called "Kids Need to be Safe". Those would be good to have on hand to read to them I would think.
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #10
KCMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Best gifts I got when we started were multicultural toys and books!
KCMommy is online now   Reply With Quote