Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:
Reccomendations for books about birthing

Hi everyone!

25 weeks along here and want to start brushing up on all the stuff about the actual labor and delivery. I had an awesome first birth experience having my daughter and I am really hoping for a natural, intervention free hospital birth after laboring at home for most of the labor.

However, I am not one of those people who thinks that all inductions and c-sections are horrible and that if you don't have a completely intervention free birth then you did something wrong and you should've just trusted your body more. I understand that things happen and sometimes we need medical interventions, and I want to understand the different things that could happen and when they are necessary and when they are NOT necessary and what are my options - what can I safely refuse and when is not safe to refuse an intervention?

I guess I'm mainly looking for a book that is not anti-doctor or anti-hospital but that IS pro-natural childbirth, while discussing interventions that could be necessary and helpful. A middle of the road approach I guess.

Can anyone recommend some books for me?

Thanks!

Advertisement

loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
graceworks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Reccomendations for books about birthing

bumping this up hoping for some recommendations
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

I haven't read anything completely middle of the road but I've heard good things about the Lamaze book. I just read the mega-natural childbirth books and take what I can use and leave the rest. Henci Goer's Thinking Woman's Guide is very natural-birth-biased, but she cites tons of research, which I liked. Good luck!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
jkoopmans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edens_mom View Post
Henci Goer's Thinking Woman's Guide is very natural-birth-biased, but she cites tons of research, which I liked. Good luck!
^ that one... Ina May Gaskin's "Ina's guide to child birth" (or whatever it's called exactly, Barbara Harper's "Gentle birth choices" ... I'll think of more
jkoopmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
jkoopmans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm those might be too biased for you though. I'm pro natural but am like you a d not SUPER anti so some parts I just skipped or took with a grain of salt.
jkoopmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Henci Goer's books are, IMO, biased toward natural birth and tend to paint hospital procedures in a bad light. I hoped it (Thinking Woman's Guide) would explain when and why interventions would be necessary but I didn't really get that. It was more why you shouldn't. It did help though because it definitely concreted in my mind my desire to avoid intervention, especially the epidural. One thing I didn't even think about until I read it was avoiding an IV. So glad I read that part and chose to go without it. No need for it if you are low risk and not getting an epidural or being induced.

For more unbiased, I like The Birth Book. It definitely has a natural/home birth slant but not in the scare tactic way of Goer's books. It gives a good overview of hospital procedures, although I don't remember it being super in depth. I am studying to be a doula, so I read a lot, and finding a good unbiased book is hard. I'd love it if someone wrote a book called "Hospital birth for the Natural Mama" or something like that. Hmmm...maybe I should do that!
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
graceworks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks everyone I will be looking for those books!!