Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
SevenFinns
Registered Users
Formerly: rebshields
seller

Positive Discipline help

I'm looking for a few like-minded mamas to talk to when I have some questions about positive parenting. I'm not making judgments on anyone's style of parenting, but we have a style that works for our family and just need help now and then.

We have a lot of friends who don't parent the way we want to, and I have found that it is impossible to talk with them about the challenges of behaviors that we want to help our children with. Our friends have found that sticker charts, time outs, or spankings work, and we don't want to use these methods in our home. We want to empathize, do time-ins, and be connected. Of course, we face the challenges of all: self-regulation, immediacy, irritation, selfishness, life!

I would love to have a few people with positive parenting experience to help me wade through the specific incidents and the best ways of handling them.

Advertisement

SevenFinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Positive Discipline help

I think that people would know more what you are looking for if you give examples of "specific incidents."
Old 02-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

I'm in a yahoo group for Unconditional Parenting (Alfie Kohn). Maybe something like that would help you?
Old 02-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
fitmomCA
Registered Users
seller

I agree it would help if you gave specific examples of the incidents you need help/input on. Positive Discipline also has a forum and a blog where you may get a lot of info on your specific issues.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you looked in your area for an AP group? There aren't too many of them but when you find them they are awesome! We moved to an area without one and I really miss my group.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Are you a Christian? There is a site(forum) called Gentle Christian Mothers that is AMAZING!! Crystal Lutton is beyond helpful and comments on almosts every post. She's the author of Biblical Parenting and has a site called Arms of Love and family fellowship (I think) that are great resources. For me, when things get rough and I'm in a slump I love to pull out the book "Graced Based Parenting" it puts things into perspective and reminds me why I parent the way I do.