Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
maple79vt
Registered Users
seller

Black History Month

This may sound completely insensitive of me but does anyone spend any time on this with their kids? Right now my kids see people, they don't see shades of color. They see male, female, girls, and boys. At what age does everyone start to share our history of this with their kids? At some point they need to know the truth, but how long can I get away with waiting? Such heavy topics for kids to deal with. Does this make sense?

Advertisement

maple79vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
maple79vt
Registered Users
seller

Re: Black History Month

Anyone?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Deanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They will learn it integrated into history lessons. For instance, they'll learn about Martin Luther King, Booker T. Washington, Frederick Douglass, the civil rights movement, and all that stuff when we start to study that time period.

We'll study African cultures at some point also, and who can forget jazz!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi maple79!

You bring up a good point about your children not seeing people as different races and why get them to start now. It is great that you are in a diverse area that your children are exposed to people of different races and feel comfortable around all of them.

We don't really do Black History Month at my house. I have a few issues w/ the whole concept of selecting the shortest month of the yr and then covering Black History only during that time. I also have an issue w/ the same people being repeated over and over again (MLK and Rosa Parks for example).

We have been covering Black History as we come across interesting books or certain topics that we want our girls to learn.

What about introducing those who have made great accomplishments w/o going into details about the race of the person? Maybe George Washington Carver or Henry Tanner?

I am hoping others will chime in to share what they do!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

My kiddos do notice that ppl have different colored skin(dd2 just recently) They've always been observent kids We touched base on racism in Nov(talking about pilgrims/colonist/indians/ect). But before that about why not to put types of ppl/animals in certain groups. Since then we have talked about our president-dd1 asked why it took so long to have a black president(she has a book that list a few things about each president) and from there she was curious about other things and why color was even as issue. We study/will study important people in all time periods as we come to them or as the girls get curious

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 02-08-2012 at 02:51 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
maple79vt
Registered Users
seller

I like the approach of just covering people as they come as we study history. This just seems to fit my style better. I don't like the idea of making the race of a person such a big deal. I would much rathe focus on their accomplishments. I want my children to see a person for who they are rather then the color of their skin. However, in the same breath, I'd have to say I want them to grow up aware and not completely nieve. How late is too late for them to know, or do you think as we study history it will eventually come up? I remember watching Roots in the 8th grade. It had a huge impact on me, I wonder if waiting until then would be too late?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi again!

Just the fact that you are concerned about this subject tells me that you aren't going to wait until it is too late.

This topic will probably come up on it own whether it is that your DC read something on their own in a paper or hear someone else discussing something about Black History.

If you live in a diverse town I am sure they will be they will be aware race and the differences before 8th grade. I also wouldn't wait until 8th grade because you don't want others to be giving your DC misguided info about different races. You will get a feeling when the time is right to bring this subject up w/ your own DC.

Best wishes!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YES!! Today, we talked about AA inventors. We're also going to be covering the Buffalo Soldiers, Tuskegee Airmen, Underground Railroad, The Emancipation Proclamation....and since we in the house LOOOOVE Reggae so much, I'm going to go over the history of Ska and Reggae, Bob Marley, and Rastafari. I also have a book called The Kithcen House, about how female slaves that worked in the homes, so strongly influenced American cuisine. We're going to be making a couple popular Jamaican recipes, as well as some of the stuff in The Kitchen House book.

ETA: I just read the whole thread. On the flip side (and my son is turning 9 this week) my son and I have already talked about slaves, segregation and the civil right's movement. My approach to black history month, was to let him know that just like any other day of recognition, we've set this time aside to take notice and learn about a whole group of people who are such an integral part of American History, yet were so heavily oppressed, for such a long time. I try to show him how we AREN'T any different from each other. The color of one's skin doesn't determine their intelligence, their creativity, or their bravery. I also made a point to let him know that black people aren't the only people in human history that have been shackled into slavery (I won't even BEGIN to touch on today's type of slavery...he's way too young for that). We had a great discussion today about different inventors...George Washington Carver especially, since my son loves peanuts so much! We also talked about Dr. Charles Drew, and how because of him, people were able to receive blood transfusions...saving many lives over the years.

Last edited by frenchie; 02-14-2012 at 06:25 PM.
frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't really do it. They had a quick lil' video on my son's curriculum. We just cover folks as they come along in history like a previous poster does. We don't focus on a certain month to memorialize a race.