Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: kinship care in canada..

Advertisement

Last edited by Beth.; 12-03-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Beth. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hope things are better in Alberta. I did have a friend who's cousin had a situation not unlike yours and they gave her a hard time. She was about a year out of university and it was an older sisters kids. She was the only one in the family willing to take them. I think most of the issues with her really are about the complete inflexibility of this system, I don't think it would be as bad in other places. For example they did not want to give her the kids unless she would stay home full time with them(school age and she did a 8-4 job so only about 1 hour of care needed a day). She was fine with that IF they would pay her income, ha ha. So her question was "who is going to support us and pay the bills if I'm not working?" mostly the answers were something brilliant like "uhh I don't know" All the problems were about the same they wanted something stupid and had no answer for how to work out problems.

I would start the home study process if that can be done now. That way it's done if needed and worse case is you won't have to use it.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
DillyDay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

being stay at home is not a issue. i am a stay at home mom. i also do the cooking and cleaning in the house. i could see my only issue being the boyfriend not wanting to give up his office space for the children to live in there.
DillyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not Canadian and have no experience with foster care, so this is just my opinion. I honestly can't see your relationship status as something that would have any bearing on a placement, based on the little bits you've shared. Sounds like a stable home to bring children into.
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #15
DillyDay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you skolbut!
Old 02-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolbut View Post
I'm not Canadian and have no experience with foster care, so this is just my opinion. I honestly can't see your relationship status as something that would have any bearing on a placement, based on the little bits you've shared. Sounds like a stable home to bring children into.
thats what i said!!!

i hope it would not cause a rift between you and your bf though. i would think that that would be more of a concern to dcfs. there was stuff in our application about other members of the household and their feelings on fostering.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
DillyDay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so far, that is my only worry about the boyfriend and his not wanting to raise other people's children. Otherwise this is a very stable home, we are in a community of lots of schools and playgrounds a library not that far from us, it could be feasible for me to get a job in the near future to help out with any bills should i need too...
Old 02-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
pcjs
Registered Users

So, get rid of the boyfriend and take the kids. Kids and family come first.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #19
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm in Ontario and have a lot of professional experience with kinship care here - technically your relationship status is really not a problem HOWEVER it could be an unspoken problem if a worker understands your household dynamic and has a morel issue with it - are you willing to "hide" your relationship status with workers?? It doesn't sound like it as your other family members seem to know and could "out" you.

In terms of kinship care allotments from CAS (or whatever your child protection services are called) - it does vary from province to porvince but generally from not from Muncipality - unless there is aborginal heritage - that can be a whole different ball of wax.

My experience with kinship care - both as a CAS worker and now as a shelter worker who works with women whose children sometimes go in to kinship care is that things like homestudies, visitation and money are sometimes pretty flexible depending on a few things - 1. the willingness of both sides to have the children placed with the family member. 2. the nature of the agency (as in are they located in an area that kinship care takes place routinely (I work in the greater toronto area and kinship happens all the time but I have worked with women form more rural areas where kinship doesn't happen as frequently and there can be more hoops to jump through) . 3. the ability to place the children TOGETHER in a foster home.

In terms of visitation - CAS is pretty strict aobut what type of visiting can take place depending on the placement home's (you) willingness to provide/supervise visits - if having contact with your sister will cause conflict and/or she is likely going to take advantage of the children being placed with you then the society will likely arrange for visits to be at the agency of supervised access centre.

Also to address your issue about your sister never getting the children back - if she places them into foster care and CAS get involved - that decision is not your's to make - it's theirs and they can very easily return the kids to her without your approval. You can however - if your sister is willing - have your sister sign custody over to you through the family court and you would have no reason to involve CAS.

Good luck - if you want to PM me for any other info feel free!!!

Last edited by mumtwiceover; 02-12-2012 at 08:21 PM.
mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #20
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also to add (again Ontario CAS experience) - you can not just get a homestudy done - it's not like adoption processes - CAS has their own worker's (foster care workers) who will come and do a home study when it's appropriate.

I know without a doubt that even if you needed to work CAS has no problem with that beingthe case - as long appropriate and reliable care is in place for the kids. They do need to have their own beds though - they can share a room with each other or other children in the home but they need to have their own sleeping space.
mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote