Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
abhernandez
Registered Users

Re: Our First Diaper Chat!!!!!

I was thinking of maybe trying this pattern using flannel... with the help of my mil. It includes a OS and a NB pattern.

http://verybaby.com/ecom-prodshow/po...r-pattern.html

Does it seem simple enough for a new sewer? I did sew pjs pants and pillow cases as a kid so I've got some idea of how things work...

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
Deanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, wool is SOOOOOOO cute! I really wanted to like it!

That being said, I might use it until the umbilical cord falls off. All the other covers always seemed to rub into it and I hate going coverless.

It's funny.... the stuff I thought I just HAD to have and the stuff I thought I would like the most I ended up not liking or using at all.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
Deanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhernandez View Post
I was thinking of maybe trying this pattern using flannel... with the help of my mil. It includes a OS and a NB pattern.

http://verybaby.com/ecom-prodshow/po...r-pattern.html

Does it seem simple enough for a new sewer? I did sew pjs pants and pillow cases as a kid so I've got some idea of how things work...
Oh I think that's adorable! And, yes, you can do it.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #14
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

Yay for dipes! I started out w/ prefolds on DD and eventually acquired a stash of used bg that I used most of the time from then on, but I think with this newbie I might go back to exclusively pf because they are just so easy to take care of (and no stuffing!)

Alice, I have some motherease sandy's too, and I really like them, but the bamboo ones I have take FOREVER to dry, even in the dryer, and when I hang them they seem to get sort of crunchy and I have to throw them in the dryer to soften them up. So...just FYI I guess. They fit great and are super absorbent though! Honestly, if you have to hang dry I think prefolds are awesome - you can get sized ones so that they fit better and then just get nice covers instead of the yucky old=style plastic pants.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
kymdenise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Prefolds were absolutely my go-to after we grew out of the sandys. I never tried bamboo, but I had no idea it had such a long dry time. That would have been frustrating.

I really disliked the all in one fiasco. I had no clue dry time would be so bad! Pockets dried pretty quick though, but stuffing does kinda suck. Prefolds and covers are just so quick.

And Jenny, I didn't snappy with my good covers. Just wrapped and covered. Voila. Once babies get mobile, it's a different story though.
Cautiously expecting number 5 in October
kymdenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #16
abhernandez
Registered Users

I def. think I'll go with prefolds but I want some fitteds or I think I won't even give wool a try. I guess I probably try that pattern. It seems simple enough. And all the fitteds I find seem to have bamboo in them which I know takes forever to dry so thats just not happening. I might buy some converted prefolds just in case I suck at sewing though. Gaaah. I really don't want to have to make any decisions right now. It's too early. It's not fair you guys have 9 billions options and 9 months to decide and I have like none. Stupid 3rd world (the city isn't but the rest of the country is). Between shipping and import taxes, if I buy from the US, it will double the cost of everything. So I guess it's now or when my mom comes for thanksgiving but I don't want to have to use disposables for the first couple months.

Last edited by abhernandez; 02-08-2012 at 08:17 AM.
abhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
ambie719
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've never CD'd a newborn before, DS2 was around 6 months when we first tried cloth. We do still have 2 bags of nb sposies leftover from when DS2 was a baby, so we will use those up for the first week, while the poop is all nasty and tar-like lol. We're a one-size pockets household (mainly FB and Sunbaby), so hopefully those will fit a little'un, I think the smaller Sunbabies will, I find them to be pretty tiny. I might pick up some xs FBs if I find some that are affordable, I'll just have a hard time justifying to DH why I'm buying something s/he will just grow out in like a month or two.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Amber, we're a one size pocket family too. We went to cloth to save money. We knew we wanted a lot of kids and seeing how much money we spent on Logan and Felicity's sposies just made us sick. I now also love the green factor as well. Honestly, it was switching to cloth that turned us on to all things green. ANYWAYS, yes, the sunbaby's will be fine for a newbie. My sister used them on my nephew even with his cord stump still attached. I wouldn't do that, but its been done. Kian was in newbunz from the moment his cord fell off, which are less bulky than the sunbaby's, in my oppinion. So I know this babe will be in dipes right away. I'm thinking of converting old discarded clothes from our "give to the thrift store" pile into tiny prefoldish type things for the first week (ish). Thinking of a prefold with wings type thing. While baby still has tar poop, I'll just put some fleece liners in there that I can throw out (using scraps from my sewing pile). I have a few pro wraps to use as covers, with the nb notch in them. Does this sound like a good plan?

Alice, those dipes look good. Do they have elastic in the legs? B/c I hear that's a must. Some dipes like that don't. I saw a pattern I'm going to link here for you if I can find it again. It was easy. If I were you, I'd slowly make a nice little collection of homemade dipes. Then, when people come to visit, ask them to bring a few one size pockets. Those might be nice to use out and about, or overnight when you can stuff them extra full. Some are pretty cheap. We LOVE sunbabys. I personally love the sunbaby's b/c they're great for overnight as well as daytime. We have Kawaii dipes, which are our go to nightime diaper, but they're so bulky I never used them in the day. Sunbabys are bulky, but not as bulky as the kawaiis, and I used them all the time, day and night. So the sunbabys might be good for you since you could use them all the time, and the one size will grow with babe so you don't have to smuggle in loads of dipes.
zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

A few patterns I'm considering;

A pocket of simple flannel (she has other modifications to this pattern on her site)
http://handmadebyrita.blogspot.com/2...t-pattern.html

A stuffable prefold (this is the one I was thinking of when I mentioned raiding our "go to the thrift store" pile).
http://fernandfaerie.com/sewing_prefolds.html

NB pocket with snap or velcro closure and the umbilical cord notch
http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/im..._umbilical.pdf
zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #20
ambie719
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacifer View Post
We LOVE sunbabys. I personally love the sunbaby's b/c they're great for overnight as well as daytime. We have Kawaii dipes, which are our go to nightime diaper, but they're so bulky I never used them in the day. Sunbabys are bulky, but not as bulky as the kawaiis, and I used them all the time, day and night. So the sunbabys might be good for you since you could use them all the time, and the one size will grow with babe so you don't have to smuggle in loads of dipes.
I feel the same about Sunbaby and Kawaii. I really like our Sunbabies, I did have some leaking issues with earlier, but once I swapped out the inserts they came with for different ones I've no leaks at all. But I do find the Kawaiis to be not just bulky but just big overall too, so our regular ones are used for naps and we have the overnight ones for, well overnights lol. I also use RumpaRooz for naps and overnights, and we use Fuzzibunz and Sunbabies during the day. Its a system that works for us. It would be nice if DS2 would be PT'd by the time new baby comes so we could just reuse his stash, but seeing as how his big brother is almost 3 and still not using the potty, I don't have very high hopes that DS2 will have it down by his 2nd bday.