Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #31
Elijah'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Our First Diaper Chat!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhernandez View Post
My friend's flight got pushed up by 10 days so I have to order like today. I've decided I'm okay with that. It will be kinda fun to get some fluffiness. I'll just stick to the basics though... it kinda freaks me out buying so early. I probably only do 12 pfs in nb and sm and then get 12 flats as back ups (I'm hoping I'll love flats. It would be the best for my laundry situation). I also I plan to make a bunch of those poo pockets dipes too. I don't know. I know people say you need 36 for a newbie but I just can't commit to more. Do you guys think premie pfs are worth it?
Thats basically the amount of NB dipes i am planning on getting. Premie PF's are useful later too as doublers, nice thick wipes, spit rags. might be worth getting 6 or so. its so hard to predict if your baby is going to be that little. i've heard some people say to average out the size of your mothers first baby and your grandmothers first baby and that is a rough estimate of the size of YOUR first baby. that was WAY wrong for me but whatever . ANYWAYS dont forget some covers too! even if you do wool most of the time i would think you still want at least 4 PUL covers that will fit right away. I am doing the thirsties duo wrap size 1.

Advertisement

Elijah'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #32
ambie719
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah'sMama View Post
its so hard to predict if your baby is going to be that little. i've heard some people say to average out the size of your mothers first baby and your grandmothers first baby and that is a rough estimate of the size of YOUR first baby. that was WAY wrong for me but whatever .
Yeah that formula was way off for me too, I was under 7lbs, my mom was under 7lbs, even DH was barely over 7lbs, and I'm only 5'2, so I was expecting a 7lb baby as well. Imagine my surprise when both boys were around 8.5 lbs!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #33
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseBella View Post
I am still debating for this little bean. With DD we didn't start cloth until about 2 months ago. We use all OS pockets right now but I was thinking an AIO might be easier for a newborn. I'd like to start at birth, the prefold w/ covers seems like a lot of steps. I would consider it if they had fitted prefolds that snap and then covers. The folding and then snappi and then a cover just seems like a lot of work.
You can definitely get fitted diapers that snap! They're great. The motherease sandy's that someone mentioned earlier are good, and there's lots of other kinds out there if you do a search for fitteds. Some don't snap or anything, but you can just close them up and put the cover right on top (contours, I think they're called0

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhernandez View Post
My friend's flight got pushed up by 10 days so I have to order like today. I've decided I'm okay with that. It will be kinda fun to get some fluffiness. I'll just stick to the basics though... it kinda freaks me out buying so early. I probably only do 12 pfs in nb and sm and then get 12 flats as back ups (I'm hoping I'll love flats. It would be the best for my laundry situation). I also I plan to make a bunch of those poo pockets dipes too. I don't know. I know people say you need 36 for a newbie but I just can't commit to more. Do you guys think premie pfs are worth it?
I only had 24 pf's with DD when she was newborn and it was fine. Did have to wash every other day for sure, though. If you only had 12 of a size that fitted you would be doing wash pretty much every day, most likely, if that's okay with you (they go through them SO FAST at the beginning!) Preemie's are nice for later, like people said, as doublers, so I think they are good to get. And I think you will love flats - SO easy to take care of, wash SO clean, dry SO fast (esp great for hang drying), and you can fold them in so many fun ways to get the best fit on your LO.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #34
abhernandez
Registered Users

So it sounds like the consensus is premie flats too as they can be used for later. Esp. I haven't a clue how much our baby could weigh.

With the flats... I'll have 24 total and with the poo pockets around 36 total. It's also hot here. Within 4 weeks of this baby's life, it's going to start cooking. I bet I could air dry AIOs if I felt like it (imagine this... new york city located in southern california but without the ocean... We also have an 11th floor terrace which get unbelievably hot). And omg I'm nauseous. If I keep writing this I'm going to die.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #35
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Jenny - How did you do the laundry only once a week? Mine started to stink if I waited that long But once a week sure sounds nice!
I admit, they did stink. BUT, somehow, the diaper pail held all the stink in. SO, I'd open the lid real fast, throw in the dipe, and then close it up, spray a lavender spritz, and it was all good! Totally worth only haveing to do wash once a week. And if he had a really stinky diaper at the begining of that week, or really soaked with pee dipes, I'd do it twice a week. I wouldn't let those sit. But still, twice a week was great too! Economically, I liked the thought of doing a FULL load in the washer. Oh, and I have a toilet sprayer so I'd spray the poop dipes as clean as I could before putting them in the diaper pail. Some baking soda and lavendar drops in the pail never hurt either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah'sMama View Post
Elise: you could do an inexpensive fitted like the GMD workhorse newborn, they are only like $5 each. and you wouldn't need as many covers with a fitted because they contain poo better than a prefold.
I cant wait to CD a newbie! all that teeny tiny fluff is just adorable
I may just order one of these and base my NB self drafted pattern off them. Thanks for the info. Oh, and whats the difference between a fitted and an ALO? I just do pockets so I don't know much about all these other styles.
zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #36
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

AIO, not ALO, sorry
Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #37
ambie719
Registered Users
seller
seller

Jenny, from my understanding you still need a cover for fitteds, but AIOs are like pockets, no cover required.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #38
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm so lame. Here I am wanting to make a NB stash for a cover I already have. I can just trace the cover and work off that!!!! That way I'll know the dipe fits well under it. DUH! I've read a lot about how to make the dipes with layering and all, so I think I'm good to go now.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #39
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacifer View Post
I admit, they did stink. BUT, somehow, the diaper pail held all the stink in. SO, I'd open the lid real fast, throw in the dipe, and then close it up, spray a lavender spritz, and it was all good! Totally worth only haveing to do wash once a week. And if he had a really stinky diaper at the begining of that week, or really soaked with pee dipes, I'd do it twice a week. I wouldn't let those sit. But still, twice a week was great too! Economically, I liked the thought of doing a FULL load in the washer. Oh, and I have a toilet sprayer so I'd spray the poop dipes as clean as I could before putting them in the diaper pail. Some baking soda and lavendar drops in the pail never hurt either.
I agree - I would way prefer to fill up the washer a little more. I think my pail just doesn't hold in stink as well. Although now that dd is older I am washing only twice a week or so, so that's fine with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambie719 View Post
Jenny, from my understanding you still need a cover for fitteds, but AIOs are like pockets, no cover required.
AIO's don't have any extra pieces - they are like a disposable in that it's all there and you can just put it right on, wash it all together. As opposed to pockets where you have a cover that you have to stuff inserts into. And a fitted just still needs a cover like prefolds would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacifer View Post
I'm so lame. Here I am wanting to make a NB stash for a cover I already have. I can just trace the cover and work off that!!!! That way I'll know the dipe fits well under it. DUH! I've read a lot about how to make the dipes with layering and all, so I think I'm good to go now.
LOL. Good idea!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #40
Deanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't wait to get my NB dipes out of storage!!! Oh how long I have to wait.