Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: your favorite car for many kids?

I never thought I would get a mini van either...I'm a younger hot mom I don't want to drive something that looks like I need to be wearing a fuzzy robe and bunny slippers. I like the Pilot but the idea of sliding doors is awesome. I can't help feeling like there are not good options for big families, the car might be great but the MPG sucks or the MPG rocks and we can't all fit in the car at the same time...

Advertisement

twinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post
I never thought I would get a mini van either...I'm a younger hot mom I don't want to drive something that looks like I need to be wearing a fuzzy robe and bunny slippers. I like the Pilot but the idea of sliding doors is awesome. I can't help feeling like there are not good options for big families, the car might be great but the MPG sucks or the MPG rocks and we can't all fit in the car at the same time...
Well I'm not young or hot but I require a sexy car. My ODY in pearl white with flash wheels and a roof rack is smokin'. My brother is a car detailer and customizer and he gives it a double thumbs up! No robe or bunny slippers required! I get 26-28 hwy and 20 in town so MPG is great. It does everything but the dishes and its full of technology. My other car is a gold 1980 Porsche 911SC and this rockin van burns the competition from a stop or passing about as well as goldlilocks does. i resisted the van stigma too, but I was sold on comfort and ease and function in 2005 and I've had ody's since (Blizzard is my 3rd). Don't dog the van till you try it!

eta... while we were waiting for Blizzard to come off the line in Alabama, we borrowed my FIL's Denali/suburban/whatever that beast is called. Nice car, but IMO, its a total pain with kids. DS2 and 3 are accustomed to sitting in the 3rd row in the van where they can walk in and out and have tons of foot room and can get around each other. Not in the Denali/SUB. They are so crowded. Their knees almost hit the seat in front of them. They cannot get around each other and I detested the car seat installs in the entire car but especially the third row. I've been spoiled by the deep, massive storage well in the van where I stand up the double stroller and can fit the entire Costco run in there and reach it all easily when its time to unload. In the beast, the floor is so tall that the storage area ends up being very limited in height. While it is deeper than the van, its shorter and no wider. Stuff is not well contained and feels very prone to flight in an accident to me. I've been spoiled with power sliding doors so I never have to shuffle stuff to open the door with a free hand and everyone easily gets in on their own. The beast is too tall for DS3 to get in without me. I have to crawl in the beast to get him in his seat and buckle it. What a pain!! The van has MUCH better storage for cups, books, toys, diapers, etc... since that's its purpose. Its easier to park and doesn't take $100 in gas. Couldn't wait to get my van!! you might like it, that's all I'm saying. Its a lifechanger for those of us that dig the functionality and ease of it.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.

Last edited by GEMQEMCABOOSE; 02-10-2012 at 12:49 PM.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newclothuser View Post
ah, a volvo wagon with the back seat--seats 7 and gets much better mpg than a suburban or such, although I think you can get one of those mazda 5s that will seat 7, and they probably get better gas mileage.
FYI, Volvo stopped manufacturing the 3rd row jumpseat on the V70 in 2007. It was rearfacing so there were safety concerns for a rear end crash and demand dropped with the addition of the xc90 to the lineup.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
newclothuser
Registered Users
seller

sorry, the mazda 5 seats 6--I thought it might have also been available in a 7 config.

forgot to mention: the ford freestyle is available in a 7 seat configuration.
newclothuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

GEMQEMCABOOSE - LOL that was a great post! Best arguments I have heard for a van. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #16
5280Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the volvo xc90 which does seat 7 - it's a mid size suv...I get 20-22 mpg but have the v8.

While I love love love it, it is not a car that is going to grow with us. I can see us having it for another few years, but there will be leg room issues once the boys are big/tall enough to move to boosters. Also, I only have 4 carseats so 2 in the middle and 2 in the back - which leaves a middle seat free to move to allow access to the back row - if you had 5 car seats I think this size vehicle would be a problem (since this is the same config with the pilot, traverse, free style etc unless you find something that can fit 3 car seats in the back row).

Surprisingly it does have moderate cargo space with the 3rd row up - actually more then the tahoe we looked at around the time that we bought this one.

We also have a land cruiser that fits us all as well - though it is harder to get in and out of - and arguably doesn't get good mileage at.all. Would not recommend it.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
4kids4me
Registered Users

Our primary vehicle is a 2005 Honda Odyssey and we will be a family of 7 in April. I get 20 city/25 hwy. We have tons of cargo space. No worrying about the older kids in the 3rd having squished legs.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
Nate's Mommy08
Registered Users

My Mood:

We just traded in our Dodge Grand Caravan for a Ford Expedation EL it is huge but what we need. We only have 4 but 3 are in baby seats and to get them in the van we were climbing over seats and no room for anyone other then our family. With the Expedation I can get the kids in and out in half the time of van and have more storage space in back for the strollers. I miss sliding doors and gas mileage of van but the expedations gas is not that much lower and has a huge tank.
Melanie Air Force wife to R since 7/06 . SAHM to N since 12/08 , No CIO, ERF, 35week early bird with SPD, ADHD, and delays. TTC #2 since May 2010 BFP Aug 2010 missed miscarriage Aug 31 2010 . TTC Oct 2010 hoping our angel picks a sticky for us. BFP April 2011 found 4 sacs. Lost baby D April 11. Triplets E, A & M born 11/29/11 35 weeks3 days. E has mild CP other 2 developmentally normal. No CIO,ERF and CD our trio
Nate's Mommy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we have a subaru tribeca that seats 7 and we love it.
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Pontiac Montana SV6. I get 30 MPG on the HWY when there is no stop and go and around 22-25 in town. It seats 7. flip down DVD w/wireless headphones and remote, power doors, built in pump for the tires, onstar, XM available, cargo bins in the back that make it flat when you fold the back 2 seats down.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote