Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

Has anyone partime HS/SCHOOL?? advice needed

Hi! I am currently hs'ing K and have a 1,3,5 year old with one on the way in 5 months. I like homeschooling but feel I will be in over my head next year. I found a community school close to my house that has school from 8:30-3:15 Tues,Wed,Fri and the parent homeschools what they give you Mon,Thurs. They cover all basics + pe, music, art and bible. We qualify for the Step up program that will pay for all of it including uniforms and supplies.
The 1st grade curriculum is
Reading- Abeka
Handwriting- Zaner Bloser
Math- Abeka
Language- I forgot?
Others- Bob Jones

Anyway, I'm ok with their curriculum choice but would pick a different math but I would love the 3 days a week help. It may only be for 1 year.
What do you think?? Any pros or cons and has anyone done this type of program??
Oh yeah, classes are very small. Their K class has 6 girls in it. And she will be in class next year with a cousin.
Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone partime HS/SCHOOL?? advice needed

I have not personally done it but I know there is a program similar to this somewhere near us and I spoke to several parents who used it and they loved it. The program near us is secular not religious and has multiple options from single classes or tutoring to a full assigned curriculum that is taught I believe two full days a week with the parents filling in the rest (it has been a while since I looked into it). They had a program for special needs kids and it was really popular with the parents of children at the therapy center my oldest son was attending (our local ISD is terrible for spectrum kids). I think that programs like this or similar homeschooling co-ops can be a really great thing for homeschooling parents. If you like the curriculum they are offering and the feel of the school then go for it. If after a year you don't love it then you can always withdraw your child.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there!

Congrats on #4!

I understand how you might be overwhelmed next yr with having so many LO to take care of.

While I agree w/ Shannon that some parents may use it and love it but I am going to ask you if you really want to have to get all the kids up and ready to drop off and pick up the oldest child? In some ways I think it is easier for everyone to stay home. Especially w/ the younger ones napping at certain times and having to disrupt the sleep to go pick up the older child. Also keep in mind that you are going to have to go by the community schools schedule instead of your own in which you can be more flexible.

I know the idea of one less child to have to keep an eye on from 8:30-3:15 seems very appealing and you probably like the amount of stimulation she will get at the school but I wonder if it will really save you any time considering getting everyone ready and driving to school then completing the assignments the other days she isn't at school. I also consider it to be a very long day for a young child who is use to being home.

Best wishes making this decision!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
MathGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would do it. But then, I am considering sending my 8 year old to private school next year because this year has been very tough for us. DH and I agreed that while homeschooling all our kids is our long term goal, while our younger two are very little, we don't mind sending our oldest to school for a year or two so mommy can give her attention to the little ones during the day. We take academics pretty seriously around here, so it's not only having another child to watch during the day, but actually spending the time and attention on academics with our oldest that's the issue. She is still young enough that she can't do a lot of things independently, but old enough that we can't just let her do whatever she wants during the day (our family is not comfortable with unschooling).

I would love to send DD to a part-time school instead of a full-time one. But we don't have that option. It sounds like a great set-up.

Do consider things like pick-up/drop off though. Do you have to walk DD into the school every time you drop off/pick up (that would be hard while having all your little ones with you)? If not, you could just have everyone-except oldest- in pjs and put them in their carseats and go (you could be in sweats or whatever and don't have to spend time to really make yourself presentable before dropping her off). Or maybe daddy can do drop off or pick up? It may also be an adjustment for your DD to be at school that long when she's not used to it.

Remember, you could always pull her out if it's not working well for your family. Good luck in your decision.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we have a program like that near us called Daysprings Academy....parents bring their homeschoolers in on Mon and Thurs. and then the parents continue the same curriculum the other days.....it is very expensive.....for me i would not do it, but i have friends that love it....it works for some but not all....it is nice to have this option though.....i agree that getting everyone ready and out the door just for one child will be alot of work....and for me i would not like to follow what someone else tells me to follow....for example i dont like Abeka at all, so it just wouldnt work for me, but maybe you are already using Abeka and this is just the right fit for you.....
Old 02-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

Update! We went to the open house this week and the hubby and I both really like the school and feel we want to try it next year. It lines up really well with our moral beliefs and will be a good homeschool and social support for us. The only cons I have are that they are very advanced or rigid I should say in academics- more than I am. I'm vey Charlotte Mason, raise their iq and curiosity and work with their talents. The school just drill and kills memorization ( from what it looks like). They only have 45 mins of art a week, etc. Very little to no creative thinking work. That's a bummer but it is only part time and I can implement the creative side at home (and cooking and sewing, etc). She will be very advanced. I already have to step up reading now to get her into their 1 st grade!! They've already blown past where I was planning on stopping this year for k. The kids pass the Iowa testing every year at 80-90% so I know her bases will be covered. Looks like we'll be trying it out!! Part of me wishes I was able and had the time to do homeschool all my way, but I could definitely use the help and am very grateful!! They seem like a family there and sometimes I feel like I'm on an island home alone with three little ones and one on the way. Thanks for your input!!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

KI hope it works out well for your family! Sounds like you have thought things through. I'm glad you had that option available, seems like a good fit