Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by britsuz90
My ODD took her first steps at 18months. She had customs when she was first standing that weren't quite as high as those. Now she just has custom inserts and we buy new shoes every 3 months because she has broken down the sides by then. EI only paid for 1-2 pairs of inserts. Our insurance paid for the 1st ones 100% because I thought to get them while she was hospitalized, so it was included in the hospital bill vs DME.

It really depends on what the cause of low tone/pronation, etc on how long a person needs them. My daughter will likely always need them as she has low tone from a genetic disorder and the tone varies with how well she is. It is very common with Down's Syndrome and other disorders. No matter how much PT she had it wouldn't make much of a difference. PT was actually the first service she was discharged from, she still gets SLP and OT and she is 10.
No one has been able to tell us WHY Giovanni has the gross motor delay and low muscle tone he said 14 words by a year and seems way too social to be autistic like his half brother. Makes me wonder. He was born a few days before his due date but was a good birth so idk. Guess we just have to wait and see.

Advertisement

Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #12
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeedieWeedieB
Yay, Thomas had the bug sure steps as well. To get him to put them on we called them his bug protecters
Lol! I got Gino the ocean theme one since you'll only see them in the summer around here.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
Noah's-Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: orthotics, low muscle tone, gross motor delay

I walked late and had braces well into grade school. I am now 38yo and a Mom to two boys.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah's-Mom
I walked late and had braces well into grade school. I am now 38yo and a Mom to two boys.
That's good to know!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #15
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEVmommy View Post
My daughter has SureStep orthotics for pronation. She got them around 26 months. She took her first steps around 18 months, but fell a lot, so that's why she got these. She is now 33 months and still wears them, but does much better without now. We are actually having a PT eval this afternoon and they will tell us if she still needs to wear them or not.
And to follow-up, they said yes, to still use the orthotics. She tested pretty low actually, at 4%. Lower than I was expecting.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #16
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEVmommy

And to follow-up, they said yes, to still use the orthotics. She tested pretty low actually, at 4%. Lower than I was expecting.
Gino tested 1% but havnt gotten his orthotics yet. Maybe later it'll change? He's 16 months and pushing chairs around and cruising holding on to furniture but not trying to take steps on his own yet.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #17
havingfun
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Mama,
My ODS had the SureStep orthotics as well. He did not take his first step unassisted until he was 2.5. I think he got his first pair of orthotics around 3.5 and a second pair a year later because the first ones were getting small. We didn't use the second pair for very long because he learned how to take them off. But using them for a year and a half helped with stability and bringing his feet under him. Previously he had a wide stance. Now he is 7 and walking well, although still not with a "normal" gait and not running *yet* (he'll get there though!)
Old 03-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #18
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

He's now 17 months and just got his orthotics two days ago. He now walks ( clumsily) holding on to me. I sure wish he would walk soon though...myback hurts lol!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #19
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfun
Hi Mama,
My ODS had the SureStep orthotics as well. He did not take his first step unassisted until he was 2.5. I think he got his first pair of orthotics around 3.5 and a second pair a year later because the first ones were getting small. We didn't use the second pair for very long because he learned how to take them off. But using them for a year and a half helped with stability and bringing his feet under him. Previously he had a wide stance. Now he is 7 and walking well, although still not with a "normal" gait and not running *yet* (he'll get there though!)
Did anyone ever tell you what caused this? I'm still trying to find out WHY he has the gross motor delay!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #20
court3189
Registered Users
seller

My DD who's 12 months most likely will be getting orthotics. Her PT recommended that and some suit thingy. She's got a genetic disorder with hypotonia.

Mom to Mason (3/2003) and Maddie (11/2007) and Morgan (3/2011)
court3189 is offline   Reply With Quote