Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Registered Users
Bad latch?

My LO is 16 days old. I'm a FTM. She had a perfect latch until the last couple of days. She doesn't seem to have a big enough latch anymore- it seems like she is only latching on my nipple. It's worse on the right than left. She also "bobs" around at the beginning until I let down. Again, that's new to the last couple of days. I kind of want to get a lactation consultant to come help out ASAP before she develops bad long-term habits. Should I hire a private lactation consultant or contact an organization like LaLeche? I'm not sure where to start...

yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Bad latch?

I would contact a LC, I didn't have good luck with LL except for general support and questions, not latch help.

Our hospital has a free lactation clinic, maybe that's a option for you.

Until then, check out

My DD had a shallow latch for her first 3-4 weeks, until she grew more, but try squeezing your nipple as narrow as possible and putting it into her mouth as far as you can before she latches.

Amy, wife to J since 2001, mom to S since 7/09 and E 5/12.
booth2490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Registered Users
Our LLL group is Amazing and we've helped loads of Moms works latch issues. I would call and speak to your local Leader(s). But it certainly won't hurt to see an IBCLC either.
Single Mommy to my 3 year old DS born all natural. We are a Cosleeping, Breastfeeding, Babywearing Non-Vaxing DUO!!
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote