Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Nursing after Gastric Bypass

A young lady that I know contacted me asking for advice since she knows I have bf all of my 6 kiddos so far. She was mostly just concerned about how to handle a toddler with a nursing newborn. However, another issue that she was having popped up and I thought I would bring it up here. I'm going to try to copy and paste her post.

Basically, she said that her milk burned her 1st baby's bottom so she had to go back and forth between breastmilk and formula to keep it clear. My first thought was yeast, but she said that they used yeast meds and all sorts of other ointments. She said that they changed her diet over and over again, but nothing ever worked. Finally they just decided that since she had had gastric bypass surgery that her body must metabolize her food differenly making her milk too harsh on her baby's skin. Have any of you ever heard of this???? Here is part of her message to me.

"The drs first thought the bottom burning thing was yeast, but after trying several ointments, no ointment, no wipes, changing brands of diapers, cutting out dairy and citrus, and everything else for me....nothing worked. We switched her to soy formula and within a few hours you could see a difference on her bottom. We gave her the soy for a few days so her bottom could get a break and heal up (meanwhile I'm pumping around the clock), and the very first time I nursed her again, the burn was back within hours. We tried rotating nursing one time and formula the next but everytime she would nurse, her bottom would get worse. So, that's when we tried half and half, and it finally stopped it all. We think it could possibily something crazy that my body is doing. I had gastric bypass almost 4 years ago, which changes the way my body absorbs everything, etc. so we're pretty sure that was the whole problem!"

Thanks for any insights into the subject.

Kyle Thomas
Christian, hsing, bfing, cding, cosleeping, knitting, crocheting mom to Hannah (13), Rebekah (11), Sophia (9), Eli (7), Lydia (5), Ella (2) and Joshua (1mth). Wife to my best friend, the HOT Rev. Brent Thomas
pbt1294 is offline   Reply With Quote