Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
hsmama5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
To the homeschooling mamas of many...

Mother of 5 just wondering whats your school schedule like between the older ones and younger ones on a typical day. Also need a few suggestion. My 4th grade son hates reading, writing, and language arts. Yes I do read aloud but I can tell it bores him. And then when I go to question him (oral comprehension questions) it's like he has no clue. Yet when I send him to go read by himself he moans about it and ends up coming to me so I can help him read it. Meanwhile his brother in 2nd loves to read and write. You can always find him somewhere in his spare time with a book. I just want to instill the love for reading in them all. He loves hands on type projects, being outside and music.

So for all you experienced moms please any/all suggestions are welcomed!

Advertisement

hsmama5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: To the homeschooling mamas of many...

Sorry, I'm no help, I'm just going to be stalking your post. My first two are 19 months apart, and the older is a boy and younger one a girl, so I do the same lessons for both of them which is very handy. Number 3 is special needs, so we're having a hard time breaking up the day and making sure that everybody gets what they need. I'm interested to see what the experts have to say...
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
hsmama5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Welcome to my journey. FYI I posted the same in "Homeschool " just putting myself out there. Really want to help my boy.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
oneduckstuck5
Registered Users

I'll just give you what I do. Take it for what it's worth .

Right now I have 5 and am currently pregnant with #6. I use Sonlight loosely (not sure if you've heard of it...it's more of a Charlotte Mason studying history and geography with historical fiction mostly (read-alouds and readers). You said you do read-alouds so you may be familiar with it. Anyway...I am currently using it for ds 12 and we've taken our time working through a year's worth of curriculum over 2 years. I am also doing a core with dd soon to be 10 and am doing a few read-alouds from core K with my two littles ds7 and dd51/2. I do not get to everyone's read-alouds everyday but try to do at least 2 or enlist older dc to read to littles. I also get some on audio if possible. My dc love read alouds. You said your ds doesn't. Does he not enjoy sitting still, the books, or the comp. questions? If he's bored, you could have him do something quietly hands-on while listening. Instead of questions, you could have him narrate back to you what you read.

For math, I'm using teaching textbooks with my 2 oldest and love, love, love it. I don't have to do a thing and they are very motivated by it. I'm using math U See with my ds 7 starting next year and dd 5. I have ds 7 working thru a spectrum workbook this year but am not a stickler about him doing it every day. I'm also using All About Spelling (AAS) orally with the whole gang and I'm doing dictation with the 2 olders. During dictation (which I pull from a read-aloud book) I discuss punctuation and grammar and I've noticed a great improvement in oldest ds's spelling between dictation and AAS. For Science they go out on our almost 10 acres and explore. They also read things they're interested in (ds wants to be a farmer so he reads a lot about that) and I also have them reading thru an Apologia book. I'm going to be using a book called Story Starters when I start our new year (usu. in July) for writing. I also sometimes have them write in a journal.

For our schedule, this is what I do. DC need to have beds made and be dressed and than they usually fix their breakfast while I deal with baby. I than do Bible time and memory verse at breakfast. Than they move on to assigned chores and when they've done those and done them well, we start school. If I'm on the ball and do school with the littles it's usually after morning chores. I give baby dd something to play with to keep her occupied. Older two are mostly independent. I give them a laminated school list of assign. for the week and they turn them into a check-in box. I usually do read-aloud with the older 2 while baby is napping. However, when my 2 younger children were little, I would gate them in their room with a "day" box (a box of toys taken out for that day only) and would let them play for about 30 minutes or so. I worked them up to that and sometimes put on music for them. That allowed me to work more with the older ones. We break for lunch sometime in there and clean that up. I send dc out to play and get fresh air and than we finish up any school that needs to be done.

I'm structured in nature but I'm loosely structured as a homeschooler (not sure if that makes sense). I think by necessity, as I've had more children I've become more relaxed. Plus after 7 or so years of doing this I've recognized that they learn more than you realize. Some of mine have been "late bloomers" and some are box checkers and are motivated by that. They're all different.

After all that, not sure if I've helped any. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know. I've had moms give me advice along the way (still do) and it's been so helpful so I love to pass it on and help and encourage other moms as well. Sarah
oneduckstuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
hsmama5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow Sarah! Thank you so much for all your insight. Yes I have heard of Sonlight. I'm currently using MFW. At first I'd reck my brain trying to do everything on their schedule everyday. But it was giving my more gray hairs. While I am using it, I use their plan more as a guide now and not so much as a daily layout schedule. Yes, I can says that he is a "box checker". My son loves when his assignments are laid out for him. He's into comics, but most of our comics are in the young adult section of the library. Which he's not ready for. I haven't heard of a few of the curriculum that you mentioned so you've given me some homework, thank you.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
oneduckstuck5
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmama5 View Post
Wow Sarah! Thank you so much for all your insight. Yes I have heard of Sonlight. I'm currently using MFW. At first I'd reck my brain trying to do everything on their schedule everyday. But it was giving my more gray hairs. While I am using it, I use their plan more as a guide now and not so much as a daily layout schedule. Yes, I can says that he is a "box checker". My son loves when his assignments are laid out for him. He's into comics, but most of our comics are in the young adult section of the library. Which he's not ready for. I haven't heard of a few of the curriculum that you mentioned so you've given me some homework, thank you.
MFW is pretty similar to Sonlight I believe...a friend of my used that for a while. I started out using my schedule as it was laid out and it about made me crazy. I've learned to make it work for me instead of me trying to fit it all in. My son reads farm magazines and catalogs and as my mom says, at least he's reading. I'm trying to figure out what you could get "comic-wise" that would be appropriate for ds. Maybe you could google some age appropriate comics for him, I don't know. I have come across some books in comic form but again I'm not familiar enough with it to give you pointers. Maybe you could have him write some of his own (not sure if he enjoys drawing?) and that would tie in writing and something he's interested in.

It's tough trying to figure out what makes them tick isn't it? Sometimes they just have to "suck it up and do it" but at the same time you want them to be interested in what they're learning. Well, I've written enough of a novel tonight...time for me to get off.
oneduckstuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Would you/he be interested in "Good and Evil" by Michael Pearl? I don't know if that's exactly the kind of thing you are looking for, but if he likes comics, it is a comic style version of the Bible. It's well done and gives scripture references on each page.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmama5 View Post
Hi Mama!

We use MFW and I have 6 children with #7 due in June.

currently I have a Ker, 2nd, 3rd, and 3th. I'll just tell you my schedule and maybe it will help, maybe not.

We usually get downstairs at about 9am. I have a whiteboard where I list all the "assignments" for the week in Spelling, Math, Language Lessons, and Reading. So the kiddo's know to go ahead and get moving on Spelling and Math while I work with my Ker. We are using Spelling by Sound and Structure workbooks and I've all the spelling tests saved on Spelling City. So this is pretty independant. For math we use Math U See and go like this M-Video and lesson A, T-BC, W-DE, Th-F and Drill online, F-Test. Anyway the 3 olders will do that, while my 3yo plays with playdough and my Ker works with me. The baby is usually in a playpen or playing on the floor... Oh! And I assign reading because they are not ones to just thumb through the book basket for fun. So when books come home they all pick one to be assigned that week.

After I finish with Ker, I set up a video for 3 and Ker and lay baby down for a nap. Then I grade, ask questions or what not. By 1030 we are ready to start our MFW stuff. We go down the grid, skipping the subjects on the whiteboard and do what we can. I skip a lot of science experiments and instead we watch videos or do a work sheet. We often times listen to the Bible reading on my phone (Youversion) while I grade or set up spelling test or what not, the kids read along in their bibles. Anyway it works really well for us. Im not above skipping what I dont have time for, and we are still learning TONS!

Anyway I hope that helps some.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
hsmama5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for sharing. We also use Math-u-See. Really like how you have it laid out. I need to look into Spelling by Sound and Structure.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
challmeyeralways
Registered Users
seller
seller

I dont have anything to add, but I am loving the advice from the other mama's. We have MFW as well and LOVE it. We also use MUS. We are VERY relaxed... as in TOO relaxed at this point and need to get it in gear. I love my curriculum, but I need to USE it!. We have a 5th, three 3rd's, a 1st, a PreK, and due with number 7 in Aug. My kids need more structure than they are getting... they are certainly learning (We read ALOT. We do math with money. We pull lessons out of life in every subject.) But a routine would be nice.