Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Soup makers - I need some help here!

I've got some ham & bean soup on the stove, it's supposed to be simmering til 6, per the instructions on the back of the bag of beans. Most of the water has already simmered right off, so I should add more, right? I mean, if I don't it will be burnt to the bottom of my pot & ruined & I don't think the beans are cooked yet...I'm always a little nervous with homemade soups, for some reason. They kinda scare me.

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Soup makers - I need some help here!

Yes add more water!If you are worried it will be too watered down you could always add a can of diced tomatoes or some garlic or boullion powder or some other seasonings. Dont add salt until the end though.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Whew, thanks! I'm going to add some tomatoes, garlic, and garlic in an hour or so & then cook it a bit more.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ha, I was just coming on here to ask about ham and bean soup. I think my crock pot has given out on me. I have already cooked it an hour longer than it said and I turned it on high 2 hours ago. The beans are barely above Rock hard. How long can I simmer it on the stove for?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkeysmommy1 View Post
Ha, I was just coming on here to ask about ham and bean soup. I think my crock pot has given out on me. I have already cooked it an hour longer than it said and I turned it on high 2 hours ago. The beans are barely above Rock hard. How long can I simmer it on the stove for?
Did you pre-soak your beans? How old are they? Sometimes if your beans are older than a yr they REALLY take a long time and they tend to cause more.....lets say digestive activity.
As long as you don't have anything that will desinegrate in the soup it won't hurt to keep it simmering. Make sure to keep an eye on the level of the liquid and don't add anymore seasonings until the soup is done to avoid overseasoning.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

n/m just saw this is an old post.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I did not presoak. The recipe did not say to, and I am an idiot in the kitchen, lol. Thanks for the heads up for next time!