Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am so proud of you!!! If you research fetal monitors, you will probably find that they end up causing a lot of unnecessary interventions, as a former NICU nurse, it sounds to me like this is the case for you and your baby--enough blood-flow had to have been getting to your baby or he would have needed some resuscitation! You are AMAZING and I am really proud of your hard work and determination!!! I totally agree with you that your commitment to have a natural, drug free delivery helped you do what you needed to do! And epidurals can really drop babies heart rates even more. You did wonderfully!!!

Advertisement

247mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Avoided a c-section, but with mixed feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247mom View Post
I am so proud of you!!! If you research fetal monitors, you will probably find that they end up causing a lot of unnecessary interventions, as a former NICU nurse, it sounds to me like this is the case for you and your baby--enough blood-flow had to have been getting to your baby or he would have needed some resuscitation! You are AMAZING and I am really proud of your hard work and determination!!! I totally agree with you that your commitment to have a natural, drug free delivery helped you do what you needed to do! And epidurals can really drop babies heart rates even more. You did wonderfully!!!
I'm not a nurse, but I agree with this! The baby's heart rate dips as a defense mechanism; it's true that it shouldn't happen for too long or get low for very long, but there is a certain amount that the baby can handle just fine- think of how many more babies were born vaginally before CFM, and the outcomes relating to fetal hypoxia were not much worse than they are now, when doctors are quick to do a c-section because of a dip in the baby's heart rate. Also, there's no way that they would have gotten him out in 10 minutes if they did a c-section! It sounds like your instincts were right on, and there's nothing to feel guilty about. I would probably have done the same thing in that situation.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I am very proud of myself for the hard work I did, strike that--the hard work that my husband, our baby and I did together! It was such a family effort. Even after hours and hours of massaging and encouraging me, my husband was still right by my side, paying attention to what was happening and speaking up for me and our baby. He was a superstar, and his attitude is the same as all of yours: the baby came out as he was supposed to and faster than they could do a c-section, hooray!
I think I just need more time to accept that our baby wasn't in danger because of me. I was so relaxed during my pregnancy and I never worried about a thing... I had wine with dinner occasionally, I ate soft cheese and went out to sushi at least once a month. lol. I trusted that women all over the world and for thousands of years had made babies just fine without a million little rules. Then in the delivery room it suddenly hit me that things might not be fine after all, and it made me start second guessing and playing the "what if" game. Which, as people have pointed out, can go on forever and gets you nowhere. At the end of the day I am overwhelmingly happy with the choices we made, now I need to give myself permission to enjoy that satisfied feeling! I'll get there!
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

mama you did great!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
Kayla Miller
Registered Users

Don't feel guilty you did what you thought was best!! Hold on to the positive side it's all that matters! You are super woman!
Kayla Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
aggfan
Registered Users
seller

Wow, the last three paragraphs of your story give some amazing food for thought. It's easy to believe that if things ended well, that the right decisions were made, but in reality, maybe you just got lucky and I think you are wise to think about all that.

In your case, I think I would tell myself a few things:

1) Hindsight is 20/20. If you'd had a C section, you don't know how things would have turned out. Perhaps there would have some negative repercussions that would have led you to think oh, what if you'd held out longer and gotten a vaginal birth.

2) You gave birth with multiple professionals around you: sounds like multiple midwives, the head of OB, and the not-nice OB. If things had been a true emergency, I think there would have been more uniform recognition of it and more pressure from everyone to have a c section fast. It sounds like only one of those people (someone not so keen on natural birth in the first place) was seeing your pushing and natural birth as un-safe.

>>> I realized I was a different person now. No one could ever intimidate or bully me, no one could ever tell me I couldn't do something for my child. It was the most empowering moment of my life.

This is one reason why I find childbirth so incredibly powerful for us as women, mothers, and health care consumers. It is probably also part of the reason, conscious or not, that other people try to ignore/mock/control/silence/numb it. I have read birth stories where moms reached their limits or decided the situation was such that they called for an epidural or c section, and I applaud those women for knowing what they needed.

Congratulations on your birth.
aggfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #17
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama, that is one of the best birth stories I've heard. Let that crappy OB out of your mind, he's your problem here. The HEAD of OB said "give her 10 minutes first" and you did it in those ten minutes! You have nothing to feel guilty over- you got your child out safely.

If you had agreed right then and there for a section, the onlyw ay they could have come close to getting baby out that fast is if they completely knocked you out, which comes with its own risks. You protected your baby and got him out safely. End of story :-)

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinmommy View Post
You are amazing You did what you felt was right. As parents that is all we can do.
Very good post.

Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
KaysieW003
Registered Users
seller
seller

Old 02-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YOU are amazing!!! This story brought tears to my eyes, what a strong and courageous woman! And such clarity of thought in the throes of labor, I don't know if I would have had that during any of my 3 births, you are just incredible! You have a healthy baby, and it was a great birth, don't worry about anything else, you did what was right at the time and your son is here... well done!