Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #21
rachelmaria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vegan and Vegetarian mamas enter here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2jack View Post
Yummy, so on my list!

lmbo! With how much fiber and beans we eat around her that wouldn't be a new development.
Right, but I'm saying it's more than the normal veggie toots.

SO and I are actually 13 and still thinking farting is one of the funniest things in the world, but when I eat things with farro, even I'm like WOAH!

HAHAHHA!

Oh, and Janine, I love that bumper sticker.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #22
Beccadssmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
I always feel like that is a difficult discussion. I wonder about how to explain to my child that I find it wrong to kill animals for food without making it sound like their friends and family who eat meat aren't mean animal-haters. We do have a wonderful children's book though called That's Why We Don't Eat Animals. I'm hoping that helps.
I looked up that book and it looks pretty good! I'm going to get it when DS is a bit older.

Beccadssmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #23
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi! I am new to a veggie diet and am so glad I found this thread! My ds2 is also mostly veggie. My dh says he wants to eat more veggie but has a hard time with meat cravings. I don't really know what to tell him that will help since I don't have the cravings he does. I feel just as satisfied with a big salad or a bean dish.

Snobby Joes is my recipe to share
Old 02-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #24
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdmama*3 View Post
Hi! I am new to a veggie diet and am so glad I found this thread! My ds2 is also mostly veggie. My dh says he wants to eat more veggie but has a hard time with meat cravings. I don't really know what to tell him that will help since I don't have the cravings he does. I feel just as satisfied with a big salad or a bean dish.

Snobby Joes is my recipe to share
Welcome! Is there a way that you can make some familiar dishes that he enjoys only a veggie version? what are some of his faves? Making sure he isnt getting hungry is an important craving buster. Combining whole grains and legumes is not only super filling but eating at the same time covers all of the 9 essential amino acids. Also I find when my food has a punch of flavor I enjoy it more and feel ore satisfied. For me that means topping things with jalepenos or sliced green/kalamata olives, capers sun dried tomatoes ect.

I will update with a recipe soon.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #25
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hey everyone! I am Alison. I was a vegan but would consider myself a strict veg now. See we just moved to the south and the city I live in has nothing healthy whatsoever. We drive an hour to Montgomery or 2 hours to B'ham just for groceries. I will start shopping online but have not gotten my feet wet yet.

I am glad this thread is here bc I will need your help esp with the challenges I have about even getting fresh produce. I use to think moms on here were crazy when they said things like I can't find organic foods or there are no health food stores but I am one of them now lol
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #26
Newbmommy
Registered Users

Hi there, I am Kunti, 25, and I have been vegetarian since birth (no eggs, fish, white or red meat). About 3 years ago I have been trying to be vegan. DH is also vegetarian, trying to be vegan. There is no milk, cheese or butter at home, just yogurt and raw honey. There are no products at home with animal by-product ingredients, etc. We are now expecting our first baby, and I am loving every moment of it. For those of you who want more info on veg preg, there is a book called "Vegan Pregnancy" that came out this year and it's awesome.

Loving this thread!
Newbmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #27
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbmommy View Post
there is a book called "Vegan Pregnancy" that came out this year and it's awesome.

Loving this thread!
This is a great book! All the pregnancy books out there that I have read always has a whole pharagraph dedicated to vegetarians and vegan with an "it's ok" but a heavy warning. This book lets you know how to do it and eases your mind.

I highly reccomend it!
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #28
Beccadssmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Does anyone ever deal with any conflict or controversy over the fact that you're a veggie?
So many people are interested and question my every decision like it affects their lives. And when they ask and I answer it's like they feel that my answer is a judgement on them, when really they asked me first. If they take it that way, I don't know what to do. It's sometimes like I can't share being a vegetarian.

Some people do things in their lives that I don't understand and I would never do. BUT I'd never question their motives; if it's something they believe in then that is their choice, but why do people feel that they have the right to question MY choices??

Old 03-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #29
Beccadssmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ANother quick post --

What research or books helped you convince people (if you had to) that you had made the best decision being a vegan or vegetarian?

I really enjoyed reading "The China Study" and "The mad cowboy."
I also have really like some documentaries -- the one w/ Woody Haralson (can't think of the name.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #30
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
For documentaries on animal rights, I of course recommend Earthlings. It is free to watch online at their website. For books on vegan nutrition and how to make sure you're doing it right, I think the books by Vesanto Melina are the best out there.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote