Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #41
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vegan and Vegetarian mamas enter here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny7777 View Post
do you write that blog?
"a new vegetarian"
nope, not me

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #42
Beccadssmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

anyone know of any good vegetarian mommas FB groups? or something like that?

Beccadssmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #43
Beccadssmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know this thread has died a bit but I'm hoping one of you has some ideas. I originally posted this in BFing support but really maybe you know more, taking into account my desire for my kids to be veggie.

DD is going to be 1 year in a month. I work full time and have stopped pumping because my job was suffering (I teach). I was hoping that I'd have enough in the freezer to last DD until she was a year and then we'd transition to something else;I still plan to nurse her morning and night for a while still. But she's almost out. As in I need to have something for the nanny to give her on Monday.

So my question is, what do I give her? SHe's only a month away from 1 year. She's eating some solids but really was taking in most of her calories from my milk.

I'm vegan, DS and DH are vegetarian. I'm not totally against formula but is there one that isn't animal-based?

I know if I ask my doc she'll say "Similac" and that'll be that.
thanks!

Beccadssmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #44
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
There are no vegan formulas available in the US, or at least I have yet to find any. I just had to concede to buy soy formula for my kiddo knowing it wasn't vegan. Closest I have found is the Baby's Only soy formula which still has D3 in it. In any case, we chose to stick to formula until age 2.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #45
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm hoping this is an ok place to post this. I'm not vegan yet but am looking into it.

I first wanted to eliminate meat after watching Food, Inc. but DH wasn't on board so we decided to do only organic, grass-fed, etc. meat instead. DH is finally on board though--something about how he read about some athletes becoming vegan and now having more energy

I do have a few concerns. Where is a good place to find information on what we need to make sure we are getting in our diets? and also about supplements that we may need to take? and what about kids--what do I need to try and make sure that they are eating?

Also, I am nursing my almost 8 month old and almost 3 year old. Is there anything extra that I will need to eat or take?

Last edited by jessca06; 01-19-2013 at 12:01 PM.
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #46
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessca06

I do have a few concerns. Where is a good place to find information on what we need to make sure we are getting in our diets? and also about supplements that we may need to take? and what about kids--what do I need to try and make sure that they are eating?

Also, I am nursing my almost 8 month old and almost 3 year old. Is there anything extra that I will need to eat or take?
My suggestion is to pick up the book Becoming Vegan by Vesanto Melina (not to be confused with her similar book aimed at vegetarians called Becoming Vegetarian). She is a nutritionist, and the book completely outlines all the things to consider when eating a vegan diet. It is also fabulous in that it has chapters dedicated to vegan nutrition for infants/children, pregnant/lactating women, and athletes. Very thorough book. If you want an even more in depth book on raising vegan kids in particular, her book Raising Vegetarian Children (which, despite the name, is focused on raising vegan kids) is awesome. I have both books and, even 9 years after going vegan, I still reference them from time to time. And since going vegan, we have had two kids and who have been vegan since birth, so they came in handy then too. Truly worth the investment.

But for a quick, short answer to your question, your main concern will be vitamin B12. Although there are vegan food sources for B12, you should not rely on obtaining enough from those foods alone. I, personally, love VegLife's B12 lozenges with Folic Acid. They are orange-flavored chewables, and I kid you not, they are delicious. B12 is stored in the body quite well, and it is likely that your body's stores of it will not run out soon. But you should still start taking the supplement after cutting out animal products. You should be able to get everything else from food, but you may find that you prefer to take a multivitamin as well.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #47
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
My suggestion is to pick up the book Becoming Vegan by Vesanto Melina (not to be confused with her similar book aimed at vegetarians called Becoming Vegetarian). She is a nutritionist, and the book completely outlines all the things to consider when eating a vegan diet. It is also fabulous in that it has chapters dedicated to vegan nutrition for infants/children, pregnant/lactating women, and athletes. Very thorough book. If you want an even more in depth book on raising vegan kids in particular, her book Raising Vegetarian Children (which, despite the name, is focused on raising vegan kids) is awesome. I have both books and, even 9 years after going vegan, I still reference them from time to time. And since going vegan, we have had two kids and who have been vegan since birth, so they came in handy then too. Truly worth the investment.

But for a quick, short answer to your question, your main concern will be vitamin B12. Although there are vegan food sources for B12, you should not rely on obtaining enough from those foods alone. I, personally, love VegLife's B12 lozenges with Folic Acid. They are orange-flavored chewables, and I kid you not, they are delicious. B12 is stored in the body quite well, and it is likely that your body's stores of it will not run out soon. But you should still start taking the supplement after cutting out animal products. You should be able to get everything else from food, but you may find that you prefer to take a multivitamin as well.
Thank you very much for the book recommendations and the B12 information! Do your kids take that VegLife B12 as well?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #48
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessca06

Thank you very much for the book recommendations and the B12 information! Do your kids take that VegLife B12 as well?
The kids do not. I keep meaning to ask my pediatrician whether she would see an issue with them taking it. It is a very high dose is the only reason I hesitate. But in the meantime, they get theirs through fortified non-dairy milks (soy and hemp), and through a vegan kids' multivitamin.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #49
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
The kids do not. I keep meaning to ask my pediatrician whether she would see an issue with them taking it. It is a very high dose is the only reason I hesitate. But in the meantime, they get theirs through fortified non-dairy milks (soy and hemp), and through a vegan kids' multivitamin.
Thank you again DS has a well check up coming up soon and I'll ask what they recommend.

Are there any other books or websites that anyone else would recommend as well?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #50
mtate
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DH decided as of the new year that he was going to start on a 28 day vegan test diet. I was trying to be supportive in his goals to be more healthy and lose some unnecessary weight he'd put on the past year, so I said I would try it for 28 days with him. While I'm not 100% convinced that this is an appropriate dietary change for good, I'd like to sub this thread for some recipe advice!
On a side note, I am happy to eat more whole foods and try to avoid all the processed garbage out there! I'm just not convinced scientifically that axing meat of any kind is the right choice... And so as not to cause any upset here, I'll finish that by saying... For myself and my child, as that is as far as my opinion matters. It's not my intent to step on toes or anything like that, I just appreciate recipe and food advice, as I see us continuing to incorporate vegan/veggie type meals into our routine even if meat and dairy are reintroduced to our table at the end of the month.

mtate is offline   Reply With Quote